Drip System Filter

ozzydom

I have sown the embankments of our fish ponds with lucy gass and lemon grass clumps in a bid to limit erosion later in the system.

I use a 3/4" household pressure pump from a fish pond for hand and fixed sprinklers which is time consuming enough but we have about 200 mixed fruit trees ,coconuts and eucalypts which I would like to instal a drip system to.

The problem I have is that drippers are notorious for blocking up and I get a lot of algae from the pond, I would welcome any ideas on an in-line filter,have searched the bigger hardware stores ,everything available except a filter.

Any clues?

I've asked a similar question myself in the past without any reply's, so heres what I've dug up.

Seems that most drip systems recomend a filter between 100-150 mesh, I had no idea what mesh was until I found this site.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/filters.htm

In case that link doesnt work, 100 mesh is 150 micron, 150 mesh is 100 micron, 1000 mesh is 15 micron.

The easiest source of filters seems to be domestic cartridge filters, but the most coarse filter elements I see are 10 micron, which is way finer than you need, it will do the job, but I guess it will remove some of the goodies from the water that would otherwise benefit the garden.

The cheapest source ive found for the filter houseing in Global House, but Home pro definatly has them & maybe Carrefour. Look where they sell the domestic water filters not the gardening dept.

They are made by Matzuma, about 12-15 cm in Diameter & about 30 cm long, black head, clear bowl. 800-1500 Baht.

The best cartridges are the string wound ones as they can be removed, hosed off & reused many times. But coming from the pond you'll probably have to do this quite regularly. I do my domestic supply this way & I clean the filter every 3-4 weeks, but you would probably be pumping alot more water than me. Wrap a piece of plastic mosquito net over your foot valve to keep the worst gunk out.

The pleated paper cartridges that come with the houseing are <deleted>. Clog up, not cleanable/reusable.

I've also seen a much bigger filter in Home Pro made by same company about 25 cm in diameter x 30 long, blue bowl, I think it contains a stack of plastic discs which are removable & cleanable, dont know what size filtration it gives, but Im sure it would be alot coarser than 10 micron. About 4000 Baht I think.

Whats Lucy Grass ? same as Vetevier Grass (spelling ?) (Thai Yaa Fek), if not I recommend you look into this stuff, there are several royal projects growing this stuff specificly for bank stabilization.

I've asked a similar question myself in the past without any reply's, so heres what I've dug up.

Seems that most drip systems recomend a filter between 100-150 mesh, I had no idea what mesh was until I found this site.

In case that link doesnt work, 100 mesh is 150 micron, 150 mesh is 100 micron, 1000 mesh is 15 micron.

The easiest source of filters seems to be domestic cartridge filters, but the most coarse filter elements I see are 10 micron, which is way finer than you need, it will do the job, but I guess it will remove some of the goodies from the water that would otherwise benefit the garden.

The cheapest source ive found for the filter houseing in Global House, but Home pro definatly has them & maybe Carrefour. Look where they sell the domestic water filters not the gardening dept.

They are made by Matzuma, about 12-15 cm in Diameter & about 30 cm long, black head, clear bowl. 800-1500 Baht.

The best cartridges are the string wound ones as they can be removed, hosed off & reused many times. But coming from the pond you'll probably have to do this quite regularly. I do my domestic supply this way & I clean the filter every 3-4 weeks, but you would probably be pumping alot more water than me. Wrap a piece of plastic mosquito net over your foot valve to keep the worst gunk out.

The pleated paper cartridges that come with the houseing are <deleted>. Clog up, not cleanable/reusable.

I've also seen a much bigger filter in Home Pro made by same company about 25 cm in diameter x 30 long, blue bowl, I think it contains a stack of plastic discs which are removable & cleanable, dont know what size filtration it gives, but Im sure it would be alot coarser than 10 micron. About 4000 Baht I think.

Whats Lucy Grass ? same as Vetevier Grass (spelling ?) (Thai Yaa Fek), if not I recommend you look into this stuff, there are several royal projects growing this stuff specificly for bank stabilization.

Thanks for that Pond Life, will look at global house next week, I use two layers of pastic mesh on the pick-up now but this algae seems to change shape to pass through then goes back to a glob once thru.

The gass is actually Ruzzi but Thais dunno what I am talking about ,the old R is really L to them, will look into that Vetevier gass ,no idea where seed may be available I suppose? Germination is a problem with Ruzzi out of season even though I spinkle new sown areas three times a day.

Thanks for that Pond Life, will look at global house next week, I use two layers of pastic mesh on the pick-up now but this algae seems to change shape to pass through then goes back to a glob once thru.

The gass is actually Ruzzi but Thais dunno what I am talking about ,the old R is really L to them, will look into that Vetevier gass ,no idea where seed may be available I suppose? Germination is a problem with Ruzzi out of season even though I spinkle new sown areas three times a day.

In Chiang Mai you can get Vetiver or "King's Grass" at the Queens project for Sustainable Living near Mae Rim. It's 1 baht / plant. To get there, turn left just past the Special Forces camp on the CM - MR road

In Chiang Mai you can get Vetiver or "King's Grass" at the Queens project for Sustainable Living near Mae Rim. It's 1 baht / plant. To get there, turn left just past the Special Forces camp on the CM - MR road

Thanks for that Lannarebirth ,if its supplied in plant form it sounds like a speading type, probably by arial shoots might be just the thing for my application.

Thanks for that Lannarebirth ,if its supplied in plant form it sounds like a speading type, probably by arial shoots might be just the thing for my application.

No, it doesn't spread, it grows in an individual clump like lemongrass. It's benefit is it's meter long roots that holds earth very well and resists erosion or bank cave in. You plant each plant about 6" apart in a line. Here's a writeup with pictures:

http://www.agc.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/fg2/pdf/repo_g2.pdf

PS: I've planted thousands of these and it's very good at it's task.

Edited by lannarebirth

ok. i don't know, but...

my brother, in the states, has a decorative fish pond with waterfall. he needs to filter his water for the waterfall pump. so, roughly, this is what he does:

first the pump is protected with some sort of plastic mesh. then the water is pumped through a series of large size plastic garbage cans filled with stones, gravel, and sand. in descending order. with associated piping. he back flushes this from time to time, (onto the ground? back into the pond? i don't know). make sure you don't pump your sand back into the gravel though.

anyway. it works and once installed is free.

in the states, swimming pool filter systems might also work. available here? i don't know.

i suppose with algae a chlorine flush from time to time might be in order, but be careful this doesn't get put out to the crops. he also gets algae but this seems to be ok. he does, i think, clean the pond from time to time as well.

biorealis.com/biofilter/drumbiofilter/#surge

Add the www for the link.

I have something similar for my crawfish tanks. I have 4, 75 gallon tanks being filtered in a similar fashion. They seem to be doing just fine.

For the money, you can beat this filtration set up. I found the drums to run around 450 baght.