Australia does it again .

The Australian government is always trying to scam more money from their citizens .Ordered some items from express last week .Order was cancelled as I did not know about the new charges from the Australian government.They are doing with all the big companies .Rottern mongels ....

From 1 July 2018, Australian goods and services tax (GST) 10% will apply to each order valued at A$1,000 or less, and AliExpress is required by law to collect such GST and remit to Australian Taxation Office.
For more information, please visit: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/In-detail/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Information-for-operators-of-electronic-distribution-platforms/.

The GST (Goods and Services Tax) you are referring came into the Australian way of life back in 2000 if I remember correctly.

We have therefore been coping GST up the Kazaly since then, and the reason the government brought in charging GST for online purchases for the likes of AliExpress, Amazon etc etc is to stop Australian businesses from missing out as they had been complaining that most of their customers are buying things online because they don't attract the 10% GST, whereas purchasing a product from them did, not only that, the businesses in Australia pay tax into Australia, and less sales means less tax to the Australian government, so it's a win for the government and a win for business in Australia if it has the implied effect that it is supposed to have.

Agree it's another revenue raiser for the government, but hey, Australian customers in Australia have been getting charged GST on the purchase of goods since 2000, like I said, and the only way to get around it if the seller is prepared to give you a 10% discount, highly unlikely though, unless you buying it in person and offering them cash....lol ?

You should be looking at supporting the Australian government, as they need your money to pay for everybody on welfare, don't start me ?

14 hours ago, tomas557 said:

Why would Australian GST be required for goods delivered to Thailand?

If your buying Australian goods from within Australia, you have to pay GST, been a way of life since 2000, although some items like education, medicines, etc etc are excluded from GST.

The purchaser should however write to the Prime Minister to ask if any of the offshore companies that he owns and doesn't pay taxes on, offer a list of any goods that the poster can look at purchasing that don't attract any GST.....?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Something doesn't sound right.

I thought the taxes were applicable if being sent to Oz.

The OP resides in Thailand.

A bit more clarity like where were the goods ordered from (I don't what express is ) and where

were they to be delivered.

• Like 1

What the OP is incoherently trying to say is that he ordered items from AliExpress to be shipped to an Australian address and was charged GST by AliExpress.

Since July 1, 2018 AU introduced the Low-Value GST wherein parcels shipped from overseas into Australia are subject to GST, regardless of their value.

Prior to this development, overseas parcels shipped to Australia that had an assessed value of < AUD 1000 were exempt from GST.

The implemented GST model is a vendor collection model wherein the e-commerce platform collects the GST on behalf of the Australian government, and then must remit it to them at a later stage.

Amazon decided that it's not worth the effort to implement all this which is why Amazon US does not ship to Australian addresses anymore.

The point is that some vendors have decided to comply with this new regulation (Ebay / AliExpress), 

whereas others have simply decided it is not worth the effort (Amazon)

Edited by varun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, varun said:

What the OP is incoherently trying to say is that he ordered items from AliExpress to be shipped to an Australian address and was charged GST by AliExpress.

Since July 1, 2018 AU introduced the Low-Value GST wherein parcels shipped from overseas into Australia are subject to GST, regardless of their value.

Prior to this development, overseas parcels shipped to Australia that had an assessed value of < AUD 1000 were exempt from GST.

The implemented GST model is a vendor collection model wherein the e-commerce platform collects the GST on behalf of the Australian government, and then must remit it to them at a later stage.

Amazon decided that it's not worth the effort to implement all this which is why Amazon US does not ship to Australian addresses anymore.

The point is that some vendors have decided to comply with this new regulation (Ebay / AliExpress), 

Thanks for that.

I thought that might be the case but wondered why the OP was getting the goods sent to Oz 

and not Thailand.

1 hour ago, varun said:

The change in the GST model was brought about by bricks-and-mortar businesses in Australia screaming their heads off to the government the playing field was not level.

Personally, I am wary of e-commerce because I've been stung a couple of times by goods that were a few light-years away from the pretty pictures on e-Bay. Much more difficult to get equipment rectified by the supplier under warranty.  I do admit to using Amazon for my Kindle, but that's a different story.

• Like 1
On 7/31/2018 at 2:42 PM, AlexRRR said:

Not a scam....its legit and legal if your buying in AU using your AU bank account you pay GST grow up and stop being a sook..

I live in Thailand buying from ali express.I used my Australian credit card , which now i have changed to thai one . sook ? hahaha

• Like 1
On 7/31/2018 at 6:30 PM, Lacessit said:

The change in the GST model was brought about by bricks-and-mortar businesses in Australia screaming their heads off to the government the playing field was not level.

Personally, I am wary of e-commerce because I've been stung a couple of times by goods that were a few light-years away from the pretty pictures on e-Bay. Much more difficult to get equipment rectified by the supplier under warranty.  I do admit to using Amazon for my Kindle, but that's a different story.

I live in chiang rai ordering from ali express using my australia credit card. They cancelled my order as I had not paid gst. 

On 7/31/2018 at 6:12 PM, Will27 said:

Thanks for that.

I thought that might be the case but wondered why the OP was getting the goods sent to Oz 

and not Thailand.

was getting them sent here . in chiang rai.

Well, now that the OP has clarified a few things, it seems wrong that

he was getting asked for GST when the goods were being shipped to Thailand.

As stated previously, I thought the tax was for goods shipped to Australia.

IMO, the Aussie credit card should have no bearing at all.

Edited by Will27