Is asbestos used often in Thailand?

AlphaCanadian

In looking it up online, it looks like asbestos is still used in Thailand.

However it seems that it is mostly just used for flooring tiles and ceiling tile material.

They are renovating some of the rooms where I live. I probably should't worry because they are probably not using asbestos.

My grandma died from the type of lung cancer that is associated with asbestos exposure.

Edited by AlphaCanadian

I used to work in a factory waking asbestos cement roofing. On open day the retired employees would come and have a walk around and talk to the "young" guys. Many of the retirees were quite old and sprightly. 

Generally speaking if you can see the fibres in the air wear a mask. 

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Many of the retirees were quite old and sprightly

Just had a rye smile to myself. 

My Ex. was fond of pointing out examples that contradicted the general rule.....things like..."Look at Johnny there, he smoked all his life, is 88 yrs. of age now and not a bother on him".   "Right" ..I'd reply.."but how about all the Johnny's that smoked all their lives that you can't see because they're 6 feet under the ground" ?

( Just museing).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, as long as it is not cut or breaks the fibres will be bound inside the material.
Therefore mostly the workers will be affected.
Once mounted on the roof or walls there is no problem.
I would rather worry about some paint here that emit VOC than asbestos

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Just had a rye smile to myself. 

My Ex. was fond of pointing out examples that contradicted the general rule.....things like..."Look at Johnny there, he smoked all his life, is 88 yrs. of age now and not a bother on him".   "Right" ..I'd reply.."but how about all the Johnny's that smoked all their lives that you can't see because they're 6 feet under the ground" ?

( Just museing).

Tell me something not dangerous on that planet...the air, the water, the food, the animals and even we are absolute DANGEROUS! 

37 minutes ago, peperobi said:

Tell me something not dangerous on that planet...the air, the water, the food, the animals and even we are absolute DANGEROUS! 

Haha, yes I was only reading yesterday that eating bacon is deadly ( carcenogenic) and they concluded that eating 2 slices a day increased your already "slim" chance of contracting a stomach cancer by 8% and 7 slices a day by 14%

Surely the heart disease and obesity from all that fat and bread is more worrying.

To get back to the topic, in recent years the risk of inhaling asbestos fibres was superceded by the risk of cutting mdf but so far in 20yrs not been aware of any joiners deaths from fitting skirting boards!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Haha, yes I was only reading yesterday that eating bacon is deadly ( carcenogenic) and they concluded that eating 2 slices a day increased your already "slim" chance of contracting a stomach cancer by 8% and 7 slices a day by 14%

Surely the heart disease and obesity from all that fat and bread is more worrying.

To get back to the topic, in recent years the risk of inhaling asbestos fibres was superceded by the risk of cutting mdf but so far in 20yrs not been aware of any joiners deaths from fitting skirting boards!

But anywhere the answer about asbestos must be YES, here in Thailand they use quite a lot of, many roofs all over Thailand are Eternit (forbidden in EU and US and many other countries).