Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Indian restaurants around Hang Dong

davehowden

11 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Why on earth would there be Indian Restaurants in what is essentially a small market town/ suburb of Chiang Mai with no Indian culture at all?

Where do you think we are? Birmingham?!

I take it from your stupid reply that you don't know of anywhere!

There is a restaurant that serves several Indian dishes in Hang Dong.  It is The Venue (formerly Papa Rocks) in Kad Farang.  There is very little about the bar/music venue that would suggest they have decent Indian food, but they do.  They also serve Western food, and have a good IPA and Tiger on draught.

12 hours ago, davehowden said:

I take it from your stupid reply that you don't know of anywhere!

Absolutely not "stupid"....absolutely correct and logical. There is no "Indian Food" culture in Thailand, in fact, most Thais dont like the mix and type of spices used in "Indian Food", therefore dont like "Indian Food", therefore Indian Food such as it is in Chiang Mai  tends to be where the tourists are, ie Downtown, near the Moat area.

By the way the Indian food at Papa Rock/ The Venue is no more than average at best, and in any case, the chap who did the Indian cooking has left hence the change of name. Good luck to Patrick, the owner there, but with the rent and overheads he has to meet I fear hes swimming against the tide making that place profitable 

6 hours ago, EL159 said:

in fact, most Thais dont like the mix and type of spices used in "Indian Food", therefore dont like "Indian Food", therefore Indian Food such as it is in Chiang Mai  tends to be where the tourists are, ie Downtown, near the Moat area.

You will find much of the muslim biriyani joints are Thai.. 

Now you might not think of that as 'western indian' but that is Thai / Indian fusion. Khao Mok Gai is for sale the entire country, usually has one per any food court, and is clearly Indian Thai fusion. 

On 8/2/2018 at 7:37 AM, EL159 said:

Absolutely not "stupid"....absolutely correct and logical. There is no "Indian Food" culture in Thailand, in fact, most Thais dont like the mix and type of spices used in "Indian Food", therefore dont like "Indian Food", therefore Indian Food such as it is in Chiang Mai  tends to be where the tourists are, ie Downtown, near the Moat area.

By the way the Indian food at Papa Rock/ The Venue is no more than average at best, and in any case, the chap who did the Indian cooking has left hence the change of name. Good luck to Patrick, the owner there, but with the rent and overheads he has to meet I fear hes swimming against the tide making that place profitable 

Thai and Indian use most the same spices and herbs. The only things I haven't found in Thailand that are used in Indian cooking is green cardamom and mustard seeds but I'm sure they both are a thing if you know where to look. Think your knickers are twisted. 

5 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thai and Indian use most the same spices and herbs. The only things I haven't found in Thailand that are used in Indian cooking is green cardamom and mustard seeds but I'm sure they both are a thing if you know where to look. Think your knickers are twisted. 

Dont think I am. Try offering a meal at an Indian Restaurant to 90% of the Thais you know, and I promise you ll be going alone!

2 hours ago, EL159 said:

Dont think I am. Try offering a meal at an Indian Restaurant to 90% of the Thais you know, and I promise you ll be going alone!

Not because Thais don't like Indian, most haven't tried it because they believe so wholeheartedly in their food that they can't bring themselves to try anything else! If they knew the superiority of Indian food they'd be on it in no time. 

Don't forget that the "Indian" food you like is probably a westernised version of real Indian food, as is the the "chinese" food you like not really Chinese!

There are, however, quite a number of Thais with Indian heritage, though not as many as there are with Chinese ancestory.

Most Thais are not keen on Indian food, it is true.

The Grill of India, just North of Chiang Mai Gate, does some pretty good stuff.

Our place in Hang Dong is great for Indian, invitation only though. ?    Wife never liked Indian curries until we found Mama's Kitchen at Wawee Coffee near Meechok.  It's actually Pakistani cuisine and we now cook similar recipes at home.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:22 PM, EL159 said:

Slightly off topic and nothing to do with Indian Food but someone sent me through a picture of a white van in the UK and the signage on the side  read "Patel & Singh" Local Builders..."you've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians"   I thought that was very funny, I hope their business blossomed, it's a bit of a risk going with that copy, but ingenious they deserve to do well!!

PS. In case anyone does not know, in the UK we call workman (buiders, plumbers, electricians etc) that don't do a good job for what they charge Cowboys, and there are plenty of them unfortunatley.

Are you looking for Indian food or British curry? Big difference. There is a guy based in Hang Dong who does frozen British style curries. They are totally authentic and not like the ones you get in the supermarket. He is the only guy to do true Brit curry in CM. However, he might not be taking new customers so I will have to enquire for you first. PM if interested.

Archived