Art and culture in CM

sidjameson

Classical concerts at CMU. All cinemas , that I know of are at the shopping centres so Hollywood movies, they do sometimes have European and Japanese film festivals which is cool. Art is good, MIIAM is the first major gallery in CM and there are lots and lots of artists and studios in CM. My issue with BACC is that it just seems to be a place for the country to shove nationalism down people's throats, that's how it felt when I was there. CM is a lot more independent and free thinking with its artists. Some great music spots also. Overall, it's propably one of the best cities in SE Asia that I've been to for all of what you're asking about, maybe Singapore is better but they have money and I've never been so I don't know. 

• Like 1

CMU art centre occasionally has excellent exhibitions. Check Facebook.

Alliance Francais has film nights often with English subtitles. Fridays?

North Gate Jazz Co-Op. Can get packed but we'll worth a look. 

Boys Blues Bar in night bazaar for rock&blues.

MIIAM mentioned above is stunnning facility but lousy exhibition thru October.

A bit of straw clutching going on here! Chiang Mai is nowhere near Bangkok, but then again that would be like comparing London to Milton Keynes! Simply cant be done! Theres actually hardly anything goes on here of a "modern cultural" nature ( as distinct from all the "Lanna" type stuff). Theres never, ever been a concert here featuring a major international artist, classical or modern,  despite having some big venues available ( eg the new exhibition centre),  and if Northgate Jazz ( packed with backpackers and you have to stand outside on the pavement most of the time), and Boy Blues Bar ( mostly empty until about 10.30) is the best on offer thats a bit of a sad admission!

Having lived here 12 years, and often jealously missing real culture ( music and art)....but of course Chiang Mai has other good reasons to live here as could never live in the madness that is Bangkok. Therein lies the dilemma !!! Occasional  weekends in Bangkok is the closest I get to a compromise.

Mate, instead of having a moan why not give the bloke options? I have had many a decent night at Boys Blues Bar and don't have anything against backpackers although to be honest jazz is not really my preference but North Gate is for the bloke to consider and that's why I listed.

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

A bit of straw clutching going on here! Chiang Mai is nowhere near Bangkok, but then again that would be like comparing London to Milton Keynes! Simply cant be done! Theres actually hardly anything goes on here of a "modern cultural" nature ( as distinct from all the "Lanna" type stuff). Theres never, ever been a concert here featuring a major international artist, classical or modern,  despite having some big venues available ( eg the new exhibition centre),  and if Northgate Jazz ( packed with backpackers and you have to stand outside on the pavement most of the time), and Boy Blues Bar ( mostly empty until about 10.30) is the best on offer thats a bit of a sad admission!

Having lived here 12 years, and often jealously missing real culture ( music and art)....but of course Chiang Mai has other good reasons to live here as could never live in the madness that is Bangkok. Therein lies the dilemma !!! Occasional  weekends in Bangkok is the closest I get to a compromise.

So many !!!!!'s, ()'s and ""'s. So what if there's never ever a modern concert in CM, who in their right cultural mind ever wants to see Madonna, Coldplay or Bruno Mars at a massively inflated price compared to anywhere in the western world anyway? You're so out of touch with it hurts pal. All the bars you have mentioned are not so great. Having been here 12 years, please tell us were to go. 

10 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Mate, instead of having a moan why not give the bloke options? I have had many a decent night at Boys Blues Bar and don't have anything against backpackers although to be honest jazz is not really my preference but North Gate is for the bloke to consider and that's why I listed.

Not having a moan. Being realistic and truthful. No point in seeing Chiang Mai arts and culture wise through rose coloured specs, now is there, when we all know its not that good. As I said in my post, its still by far my preferred city to live, its unique in so many ways, but not artistically. Theres nothing like "Saxaphone" music club, or "Brown Sugar" jazz club here, and again as I said, if you want the better music places you have to do Bangkok weekends. Perfectly fair review I think? Cheers!

• Like 1