Information Amnat Charoen ( Yasothon )

napoleon3

Hello everyone.

After living several years near Pattaya (not central), next month (september) we will be moving to my wife's village of birth, located near Amnat Charoen ( Yasothon )

According my information, the immigration office would be located at the City Hall, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to ask if some members have any information or advice concerning this Immigration office.

- Can I make myself clear in English ? Are they helpfull ? Are they friendly ? Are there many Falang gooing there ...etc etc etc....

Also, considering the fact we don't have a car for the moment and we will need one when we will be living there,

- Can someone recomend us a reliabel secondhandcar location ?

- Does anyone know a correct - reliabel - taxi driver who could help us in our first month ?

Thank you all for any information and please excuse me for my (possible) bad spelling.

Amnat Charoen Provincial Offices are located about 5 KMs north of town on Highway #212, you can't miss it on the left hand side before the PTT station.  The immigration office is behind the first large white building and on the 2nd floor.  They are usually not too busy and understand English but it is also a good idea to take your lady to help should issues of residency, addresses, relationship status etc that may come up.  They do get immigrant workers from surrounding countries into that office also but I usually am dealt with quickly.  As with any Thai government agency it is business like and service "friendliness" depends on the officer dealing with you and his mood? There is a food court under that building and should you need photocopying done there is one close by (for a small fee).

No taxi's I am aware of in Amnat Charoen other than motorbikes and a few tuk tuks that hang around the hospital and the Clocktower area.  Until you get a vehicle it may make more sense to get a local lad to drive you around for a fee?  There are numerous used car dealerships on the #202 and #212 Highways as well as the bypass road.

Yasothon is about 50 KMs west of Amnat Charoen I am assuming you are relocating to one of the villages in between?

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Map for the Amnat Charoen office can be found here. Address and Google Map location of immigration offices

The location of the Immigration Office in Korat should be updated. They moved to 14.907264,102.149891 click here for Map

Edited by hkt83100
added shortened link
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Hopefully you’ve been to the village several times so no culture shock.

I like it out here 

Thank you, but don't worry !

We married 17 jears ago and I have visited the, very small, family on several occasions but, only for 2 or 3 days.

I know my way around but not enough.

Problem is also nobody in the family has transportation ( very kind farmers ) so I need to find sollutions.

I am looking forward to it ?

Kind greetings.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, napoleon3 said:

According my information, the immigration office would be located at the City Hall, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to ask if some members have any information or advice concerning this Immigration office. 

- Can I make myself clear in English ? Are they helpfull ? Are they friendly ? Are there many Falang gooing there ...etc etc etc....

It's actually located in the building behind the City Hall, which is set way back from the road.

The entrance is on the left directly facing the Mitsubishi dealership on the right (coming from town centre).

I'd file a TM28 and TM30 when you arrive, they can then deal with your 90 day reports etc.

They have English speaking staff, I always found them efficient, but a few glum faces.

The office is rarely busy, sometimes 3 in a queue, other times it's completely empty.

Never spent more than an hour in the office even when busy and doing an extension.

Two desks serve all for everything.

From Pattaya to the sticks is a major change.

I resided in the countryside of Chachoengsao for several months, however the novelty of the peace and quiet wore off and I became bored. I basically ran out of ways to keep myself occupied.

You'll definitely need transport, that should be a main priority, otherwise your at the mercy and good hospitality of others. However you'll probably find once you have transport the villagers will deliver their shopping lists when your going into town.

Your unselfish acts won't go unrewarded though, when the rice or fruit fields yield a harvest, they deliver free produce to your door. Good community spirit.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Tanoshi.

I suppose finding immigration won't be a problem.

TM28 and TM30 are ready and I also have a legalised translation of my passport.

Thai driving license is also in my possetion.

Also, once we live there, I will apply for the yellow "Tambien Baan" or "Thor Ror 13"

The land and the house are in my wife's name and she has the blue book.

If anybody has any advice abouth things that would be important or helpfull, please let me know.

Thanks again to all.

youll be fine, a lot of these desolate provinces we may think are 3rd world hell holes are in good shape. you need to be more aware of potential risks in the environment out there. 1. rabid dogs. 2. parasites. 3. malaria.  all come into play much more. 

• Confused 1

Napolean3 - a few things that may help.

Amnat Charoen USUALLY requires a medical certificate on extension renewals - others don't?  This can be obtained at the hospital or a local clinic.

They often require your bank book being updated (to the day of the application submission) if you are using the 800K retirement extension or 400K marriage one as proof of income.  Even though the bank had signed the letter the day before my application they insisted on a bank book update the next day?  I am just mentioning these because you are without transportation and nearly 50 KMs away.

At15 had 3 high envoirmental risks and I would like to recommend 2 others - extreme defensive driving may well save your life and do your best to keep away from local hospitals if you have moderate to major medical issues.  Also daytime mosquitoes transmitting dengue fever - especially in the wetter seasons.

Edited by gerry1953
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gerry1953 said:

Napolean3 - a few things that may help.

Amnat Charoen USUALLY requires a medical certificate on extension renewals - others don't?  This can be obtained at the hospital or a local clinic.

They often require your bank book being updated (to the day of the application submission) if you are using the 800K retirement extension or 400K marriage one as proof of income.  Even though the bank had signed the letter the day before my application they insisted on a bank book update the next day?  I am just mentioning these because you are without transportation and nearly 50 KMs away.

At15 had 3 high envoirmental risks and I would like to recommend 2 others - extreme defensive driving may well save your life and do your best to keep away from local hospitals if you have moderate to major medical issues.  Also daytime mosquitoes transmitting dengue fever - especially in the wetter seasons.

Hello Gerry,

This is the first time I read abouth needing a medical certificate for extention renewals ???

Has onyone had this asked ? And does it have to be VERY recent or can it be 2/3 weeks old ?

The bank book would not be a problem, visit bank in the morning and immigration with the bank letter.

The last 4 yearly renewals in Amnat Charoen the desk Immigration Officer wanted a medical certificate with my applications and I am not unhealthy. It's only 60 baht for the completed form at a private clinic near my house with no actual medical exam?  I know other local farangs that needed them also.  But as we all know sometimes things can change or aren't consistent here in Thailand ?????

I can't remember how long the medical is good for - get it on the way to Immigration?   Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, napoleon3 said:

This is the first time I read abouth needing a medical certificate for extention renewals ???

Has onyone had this asked ? And does it have to be VERY recent or can it be 2/3 weeks old ?

Amnat is one of the very few offices that require a medical certificate for an extension based on retirement.

Roi Et and Hua Hin are two others.

A medical certificate is not required for a marriage extension, reason...….you have a wife to take care of you - go figure!

Medical certificates can be obtained from local clinics from 50 baht. (Your wife should know one).

No need to actually see a doctor, if you walk in still breathing, that's good enough. Passport required.

They are valid for 30 days use at Amnat. (Their words)

If you want a copy of an example of the medical certificate required, please PM me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Amnat is one of the very few offices that require a medical certificate for an extension based on retirement.

Roi Et and Hua Hin are two others.

A medical certificate is not required for a marriage extension, reason...….you have a wife to take care of you - go figure!

Medical certificates can be obtained from local clinics from 50 baht. (Your wife should know one).

No need to actually see a doctor, if you walk in still breathing, that's good enough. Passport required.

They are valid for 30 days use at Amnat. (Their words)

If you want a copy of an example of the medical certificate required, please PM me.

That is very kind, but I had a meducal certificate for my Thai driving licence, so I know how it works ( in and out in 5 minutes - 100 baht is Pattaya )

Also, according to my wife, there is a doctor living in the village but we will have to find out if he can make this certificate.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thank you very much. ?

47 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Please excuse the negative post but if there was any town I need of a ring-road, or at least a by-pass,  then Amnat is it

Could you please give me some motivation for this post ? I'd like to be prepared !  ?

1 hour ago, napoleon3 said:

Could you please give me some motivation for this post ? I'd like to be prepared !  ?

Patriot likes his Kebabs.

He probably couldn't find a kebab shop in Amnat when he was going through to Roi Et, so resents the place. ?

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Patriot said:

Amnat is fine, just needs a by-pass for the through traffic. In places it gets down to one lane.

Now, about those kebabs.........?

Amnart does have a semi-circle four lane by-pass road. I use it all the time when travelling from Ubon to Mukdahan. At the first set of traffic lights when entering Amnart from Ubon turn right. This four lane by-pass road takes one around Amnart and comes out on the northern road just before Big C. Avoids the congestion of central Amnart.

I read that the OP (napoleon3) is going to live in a village near Kut Chum. I thought Kut Chum was in Yasothon province. Therefore shouldn't he be reporting to the Yasothon Immigration office rather than the office in Amnart? Perhaps there is another Kut Chum village in Amnart province.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

I read that the OP (napoleon3) is going to live in a village near Kut Chum. I thought Kut Chum was in Yasothon province. Therefore shouldn't he be reporting to the Yasothon Immigration office rather than the office in Amnart? Perhaps there is another Kut Chum village in Amnart province.

Amnat Immigration covers the Yasothon and Amnat Provinces.

Yasothon doesn't have an Immigration office.

Amnat used to cover 3 Provinces including Roi Et, which now has it's own IO.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Amnart does have a semi-circle four lane by-pass road. I use it all the time when travelling from Ubon to Mukdahan. At the first set of traffic lights when entering Amnart from Ubon turn right. This four lane by-pass road takes one around Amnart and comes out on the northern road just before Big C. Avoids the congestion of central Amnart.

Agh. There IS a by-pass to the east; apologies to all you good Charoenites!

please disregard all previous posts. 

Thank you Michael

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, leither69 said:

Yasothon!! oh my!! Do yourself a favour,  unless you are thinking of joining the monkhood,  or enjoy nothing to do,  kick it into touch and stay where you are.

The OP is going to his wife's village in Kut Chum which is about 40-50 km from Yasothon city. He and his wife have been married for 17 years. He his returning to his wife's roots. I congratulate him on this wise move. Anyday, I would rather be in Kut Chum than Pattaya, where he currently lives. 

I strongly suggest to leither69 to kick himself hard where it hurts, because he knows nothing about the wider district of Yasothon, let alone long lasting love and family friendship.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, napoleon3 said:

Thank you, but don't worry !

We married 17 jears ago and I have visited the, very small, family on several occasions but, only for 2 or 3 days.

I know my way around but not enough.

Problem is also nobody in the family has transportation ( very kind farmers ) so I need to find sollutions.

I am looking forward to it ?

Kind greetings.

So are they!!

Driving a taxi is a prohibited occupation  for farangs except in the case of family members apparently. 

Good luck and happy driving. 

Edited by tryasimight