Craft beer in Khon Kaen ?

Isan Farang

I haven't been to Brew Bar in Khon Kaen in two years. It started off great in 2012, mostly many excellent Belgian and other European beers, a few even on tap and also a few craft beers from U.S., UK. Excellent, friendly service, beautifully designed brand new building with huge windows to look out over a very nicely designed outdoor Japanese zen garden style pond, outdoor seating by said pond as well. I thought, too good to be true, no way the place will last in Khon Kaen, too expensive and zero knowledge or interest in good beer. As expected, with each visit, the selection of beer became more and more depleted . Staff was a lot of pretty young kids who while nice enough were not too good at much else than saying "No have." "All finit now" answer to inquiries about the plethora of beers they once had. I stopped going when much of one refridgerator was dedicated to Heineken, Asahi and other bland factory lager that market themselves as cool hip suave. That said, since two years ago I think more Thais with money to burn are aware that a pint of Brew Dog from time to time is still money well spent despite being 300 baht plus per pint, so maybe things have have gotten better . 

The place used to be listed on the website of the sister Brew Bar website but I see now that neither the original branch on Soi Thonglor nor the Khon Kaen branch is listed only the much smaller inferior branch on soi 11.  The facebook site is here, tho without there having been any posts made in a year: I'd probably check out Outlaw if i had to go to Khon Kaen, haven't been and if they have Thai craft beer, those may be cheaper and better value. Brew Bar was/is a splurge place to go, not a cheap night out even just for a few rounds.

https://www.facebook.com/brewkk/?rc=p

• Like 1

Ye, Didines restaurant is just past the main fire station, go past the first road after the station and they are about 6 shops/bars along on the left.

The Blues Bar is just before Didines, a Scowser named Dave runs it, they have some craft beers, if Dave is there he will tell you where to buy some to take back.

3 hours ago, Vermonter said:

The Pullman has both dark and light beer brewed on site. Also has happy hour in the lobby from 4-6 pm. Good beer good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Always go there for their in house distillery brewed blonde & dark lager beer . As you say happy hour is 2 for the price of 1 . Really the best beer I have tasted in Thailand , not sure of the strength but is fairly potent . You can drink your beer and be entertained by a very good band and singers , resident group I think .   Recommend . 

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

Ye, Didines restaurant is just past the main fire station, go past the first road after the station and they are about 6 shops/bars along on the left.

The Blues Bar is just before Didines, a Scowser named Dave runs it, they have some craft beers, if Dave is there he will tell you where to buy some to take back.

Also note that Didines is just round the corner from the Pullman Hotel.

Didines was closed for a few months and I haven't been in there since it re-opened, so I can't comment on it. Still the same owner though, so I should think that it is still the same.

Dave is rarely in the Blues Bar at night nowadays and is in the process of selling the place, I believe.

19 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

That's exactly what I am looking for, would I be correct the BB Motel & Ingtara are very close by. If correct Tesco/Lotus is on the corner and the Outlaw is a little further along from there.

Its only a one night stop before I head back to Ubon.

Yes correct. I went to Outlaw last sunday and stayed at Ingtara. Very close, maybe 100 m from the hotel and 50 m from Tesco. Try their beer on tap. I had Showdown, Gateway and Vanilla Stout. All very good!