VAT refunds at airport - need to show items?

I've read on previous posts that the forms for VAT refunds need to be stamped before going through security checks at Suvarnabhumi. But do they request to see the items? 

I'm buying a Mac computer which will stay in Thailand for the time being but wanted to know if it would be possible to also get the VAT refund on that. Smaller items would be easy enough to show them.

As blackcab's advice, absolutely have to present the goods landside and then, if they're happy with your paperwork and goods, you'll be given a chit for the VAT booth airside.  It's all very efficient and straightforward if you arrive prepared.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I've read on previous posts that the forms for VAT refunds need to be stamped before going through security checks at Suvarnabhumi. But do they request to see the items? 

I'm buying a Mac computer which will stay in Thailand for the time being but wanted to know if it would be possible to also get the VAT refund on that. Smaller items would be easy enough to show them.

For the computer you will absolutely have to show it at the VAT refund desk because of the value, and if it's a laptop it is possible (not very likely but still possible) that you could be asked to show it at the refund desk after security. One time I did see someone asked to show a high value small item, they did so there was no problem.

So while you could chance your luck and have someone at the airport that you can give it to after the first check personally I would not be trying to defraud the VAT revenue service in that way.

How ever if you were to bring a laptop in through customs I have never seen anyone asked to pay VAT on it.

Some info that may be of help at Suvarnabhumi,

a) You have 60 days to initiate the claim process, from the time the shop issues the VAT receipt.

b) Alternate way to extend claiming - If you get your VAT paper stamped at the pre-check in area, you then have 2 years to export the goods.  Haven't tested the outer limit, but we've had to delay claiming due to the extra long lines, and did so on a future trip (3 months later).  Since you intend to export the goods anyway, this may apply to you.

c) If the tax refund is above a couple of thousand baht and not a large item, strong chance that you'll be asked to show the items at the 2nd (VAT Refund counter) pass security.  Matter of fact, there are reminders to not check in the items that are being claimed.  They've had too many cases of fraud by merchants, fraud where people dont actually re-export the goods.  

20 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I've never understood how this worked. When you buy the goods are you supposed to get something or fill something out. Or is the receipt enough? Also you need to be on a tourist visa or exempt entry right?

Not all stores participate in the VAT refund program - for example you can buy a Macbook from stores that participate as well as those that dont - typically at the same price.  Participating stores issue you a yellow form (PP10) along with the receipt - the PP10 can/needs to be issued on the same day as the purchase .  I've seen people trying to go back to Central a day after the purchase but they've been pretty strict.

Believe you need a minimum purchase of THB 2000 to get this issued.... and a total of at least 5000THB (various stores) in order to claim at the airport.  Believe there is a processing charge of 100Baht, so 5000 baht would net you 350 (7%) less 100 = THB 250.

PP_10_ENG.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 2:56 PM, Balooo said:

Can I apply for VAT refund only when a go back to my country or doesn't matter where I'm going and a when I would be back in Thailand?

As long as you are leaving Thailand with the goods and within 60 days of purchase, any destination is OK

Edited by sometimewoodworker