Highlights From This Morning's Cabinet Meeting

Jai Dee

Traffic Policy Dept proposes definite time frame for rail line construction

The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning is proposing a time frame for the construction of 5 railway lines.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanon held a weekly Cabinet meeting today (February 6) with primary issues concerning the transfer of Pol Gen Kowit Watana from the post of Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police to a position in the Office of the Prime Minister's.

The Cabinet meeting also involved discussions of the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning concerning the construction of 5 railway lines in the Bangkok Metropolitan area.

Other issues brought up during the meeting came from the Minister to the Prime Minister's Office, Khunying Thipawadee MekSawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์), calling for funding for the preservation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej's movie and still films.

Meanwhile the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakul (ปรีดิยาธร เทวกุล) has proposed additional regulations in budgetary allocation for the compensation of civil servants in excess of their salary.

The Minister of Transport also proposed different annual tax rates for vehicles that used electricity, and alternative fuel during the meeting.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 February 2007

"The Minister of Transport also proposed different annual tax rates for vehicles that used electricity, and alternative fuel during the meeting."

Nice! This could pave ways for major eco-car investments in Thailand. I hope they will decide to lower taxes for fuel efficiency cars. Tax breaks for eco cars in Thailand has been long overdue imo.

As for the time frame of the 5 railway lines, I read from Krungthep turakij that it's already been approved. And the press conference has been scheduled at 1 pm today. The first line to be built is from bang Sue to Taling Chan.

Cabinet approves Bangkok's mass transit projects

The Cabinet Tuesday approved in principle the general details of five Bangkok mass transit projects proposed by the Transport Ministry.

Government agencies will have to provide details of construction and funding for each project and submit them to the Cabinet for final approval. Construction of some projects may be broken down into phases. The first phase bidding is for the 15-km. "red line" route set for this April, Mass Rapid Transit Authority Governor Prapat Chongsanguan said.

The government said the projects will be funded by bond issue and loans from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation.

- The Nation

----------------------------

The press conference was scheduled at 2 pm not 1 pm.... My bad. :o

"The Minister of Transport also proposed different annual tax rates for vehicles that used electricity, and alternative fuel during the meeting."

Nice! This could pave ways for major eco-car investments in Thailand. I hope they will decide to lower taxes for fuel efficiency cars. Tax breaks for eco cars in Thailand has been long overdue imo.

Hold on, not so fast - the main stumbling block to electric/alternative fule cars is the import tax, not the annual registration tax (about 10k a year - what is there to cut!).

In my opinion, the government should remove the import tax on hybrids altogether and cut the excise tax to 10-15%, lower than that of pickups. Than carmakers like Toyota, Honda, and even Ford, can bring in their existing hybrids and jump start the market. Then the loca support industry would grow and eventually Thailand might start buidling hybrids itself.

If hybrids won't fit in the upcoming eco-car project, we'll never see them here at all. They've been available in the US for ten years now and their future is very promising, no one in Asia builds them yet.

Meanwhile the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakul (ปรีดิยาธร เทวกุล) has proposed additional regulations in budgetary allocation for the compensation of civil servants in excess of their salary.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 February 2007

If anyone feels like compensating me in excess of my salary, i'd be happy to accept on an experimental basis. Sounds like a great idea !

If anyone feels like compensating me in excess of my salary, i'd be happy to accept on an experimental basis. Sounds like a great idea !

In a democracy, some would see this as an attempt to buy votes. In a dictatorship, some would see it as an attempt to buy loyalty. In Thailand it could be seen as an attempt to restore the official class to the priviledged position it enjoyed in bygone times. But to give the regime the benefit of the doubt, it could also be a problem in reporting.

Hold on, not so fast - the main stumbling block to electric/alternative fule cars is the import tax, not the annual registration tax (about 10k a year - what is there to cut!).

In my opinion, the government should remove the import tax on hybrids altogether and cut the excise tax to 10-15%, lower than that of pickups. Than carmakers like Toyota, Honda, and even Ford, can bring in their existing hybrids and jump start the market. Then the loca support industry would grow and eventually Thailand might start buidling hybrids itself.

If hybrids won't fit in the upcoming eco-car project, we'll never see them here at all. They've been available in the US for ten years now and their future is very promising, no one in Asia builds them yet.

You are right about the taxes. I misread it. I hope they will make a decision on the import tax for the cars later.