Prozac For Sleeping Problem?

ThaiPauly

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am having some trouble figuring out just how long this insomnia has been for and how severe it is. From what you now say it seems like it may be off and on.

Intermittent on and off bouts of insomnia do not usually need any treatment. Even a week or 2 week straight bout of insomnia, often best just toughed out.

I

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The insomnia was constant Sheryl until she got the new medication for around 3 weeks but she now has a really tingling arm, so bad that I asked her if she wanted to go to hospital  but she said no, I sprayed some Ralgex on it and it appears to be a bit better. I don't know if this has anything to do with the new medication? Hopefully it will be gone tomorrow.

Tingling arm may be related to her back issues and if it persists she should go to the ortho doc msnaging her back problems.

If the insomnia was nonstop and severe until she took the meds where does the "didn't go back to the osychiatrist because she felt better" part come in ? Had she been referred to a psch. before the insomnia? Why?

No , she had not been referred to a psch before the insomnia, only when she had it. This was 3 years ago now.

At the moment every day she is feeling better using the medication, she is getting between 4-5 hours so we will see what the situation is when she goes back to see the psch doctor next Thursday

Ok now I am confused again, from your other posts it sounded like this problem has a fairly recent onset.

If she has been suffering from insomnia for 3 years and her periods stopped about 3 years, it is highly probable that the problem is menopause and that she needs hormone replacement therapy, not pysch meds.

IF this is correct (problem started a few years back, around the time her periods stopped) then please take her to see an OB-Gyn specializing in menopause. Preferrably one of the following:

Prof. Intira Sriprasert, Sripat

Prof. Tawiwon Pantsri, Sripat, CM Ram and Bangkok Hosp Chiang Mai

Prof. Wirawit Piyamongkol, Sripat and CM Ram

• Like 1

Her first bout of insomnia ceased about 3 years ago after a period of about 3 weeks

At that time she was definatley going through the menopause. (Stopped having periods etc).

Now 3 years on are you saying that she is still going through the menopause Sheryl?

All your imput is very valuable to me, thank you.

Edited by ThaiPauly

Again, it is very unclear how long her  insomnia has been going on for. First it sounded like it was recent, then you indicated it has lasted 3 years, now it sounds like it started 3 years ago then got better and has now recurred?

Please get the timeline straight, it is very important to an accurate diagnosis.

Menopausal symptoms can go on for many, many years. They typically begin before periods completely stop (sometimes by as much as a decade, in which case termed peri-menopausal symptoms) and continue for at least several years; for some women, they continue indefinitely. There is certainly nothing at all unusual about still having them 3 years after menstruation has stopped.

If she has had trouble sleeping, either consistently or on and off, starting around the time her periods stopped or a few years prior to that,  it is very possible it is a hormonal issue.

• Like 1