Study raises concerns about young Muay Thai fighters

webfact

Who has thrown a baby up in the air? Not a good idea.

20 hours ago, kannot said:

and  just how many times in any match would you be using your head to take an impact as opposed to someone trying to smack you in the head with Muay Thai?

You haven't played Rugby; league or union.

I understand the sport is quite ruthless but it is very odd tradition that I doubt the human rights watch shall

have any power to stop. If anything they can make it more dangerous. The whole point in professional fighting is to increase safety such as referee make sure no cheaters with metal in their gloves extra. I welcome safety measure such as gum shields and health checkups before climbing in t eh ring. I find the biggest Danger is kids cutting weight for a fight. This is something that needs to watched. The hours of dehydration and lack of oxygen to the brain. The having to fight 5 x3 minute rounds. If they ban boxing for kids there shall be no regulations and probably higher death rate 

most of these kids who fight are fighting out of poverty. Or they have no interest in school. It gives them a chance to stay off drugs and focus on something else 

On 8/13/2018 at 7:22 AM, DoctorG said:

The study may be correct but one cannot make the leap of cause and effect without real evidence. As brianp points out above, we do not have a comparison of their IQ before and after their years in boxing.

Numerous studies have already been done in many sports and there is no argument that numerous impacts to the head causes brain damage. The most prominent studies in the USA involved American football but boxing has many studies in the USA as well. The impetus for this for the kids and their families like most things here is the families need for money. 

On 8/13/2018 at 7:12 AM, connda said:

In 2018 you're telling me that in order for the populace to understand the physical damage that full contact martial arts do to a developing human body that an official study needs to be made?  At a minimum those 15 and under should be wearing protective gear (head-gear, heavy, oversizes gloves, foot pads) and rounds should be scored based on technical points scored as opposed to the physical damage done to the opponent.  After 18?  Then it's the individual's decision.

Protective head gear in boxing has been a question of debate for a long time, with a fair amount of research done in order to determine whether it is a good idea or not.  Not sure what knowledge you have which makes studies about this unnecessary for you,  but people with considerable knowledge about it have expressed serious doubt, based on actual studies, that using head gear in boxing is beneficial to the fighters. 

Yes, it protects against superficial cuts, but it may considerably increase the chance of more serious damage to the head.  There are several reasons for that, including the head becoming a larger target with the helmet on, thus easier to hit, leading to the fighter getting hit more often (the reduced vision when wearing a helmet can also contribute to this).  Another is that fighters may be less careful, thinking the helmet will protect them.  A third one is that the helmet, making the head heavier, may increase the force experienced by the brain in some cases.

One might also want to consider that the Olympic games no longer enforce head gear in boxing, ostensibly because there has become more and more doubt that using the head gear is beneficial to the fighters health.

So I think there are many reasons, even in 2018, to consider the results of official studies.  Not everything that seems obvious is actually correct.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:44 AM, Chris Lawrence said:

A very common problem in sports where head contact is constant. Look at the Great Ali. But its also something that needs compensation or proper treatment facilities developed.

Ali had Parkinson's.