After a two stroke off road bike

TopMember

Hi

I am new to the forum so apologies if this is not the correct thread to post this. I am after a two stroke dirt bike, preferably 125cc and Honda CR. I am based in Pattaya and looking for a reliable/recommenced source, so please no time wasting. Any info is warmly welcomed and thanks.

Maybe visit some dirt bike competition.

I knew a guy who did that regularly in Pattaya (or somewhere near there). I am sure with that crowd you should find what you want.

Another option might be KTM in Bangkok or wherever else they are. In the Bangkok shop they have a couple of hot 2-stroke dirt bikes. But I am not sure if they are for sale.

32 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Funny timing for this topic as I actually bought a 2001 CR125 on Saturday. I was checking Bahtsold, Kaidee and mocyc.com for ages and finally found a guy who sells them in Pak Chong which is fairly close to our little hobby farm in Korat. He had this CR (I was actually after a YZ but I quite like the CR's as I had a 250 back in the UK which I sold whilst moving here).

There's loads of junk out there, mine is reasonably tidy apart from the expansion chamber, but I'm sure it will be better with a fresh top end and a decent pipe. Been scouring the web for a piston kit etc.

Just have to build the track now!

cr125 pic.jpg

I want one!

But I am not so sure if the police in Bangkok will let me get away with it. Or I just have to be faster than the police ?

I hope you are able to get all the spare parts you need. Some time ago I had a Kawasaki KDX and it was a nightmare to get parts...

Yeah I had the same issue with a GSXR I had, no spares available in Thailand. 

Consumables weren't an issue. Model specific stuff like brake pads, air filters, pistons etc. can be bought from Ebay in advance. Simple stuff like chains, tyres, oils, grips etc. are all available locally. 

If something major happens it might take a few weeks to get stuff in, but that's a problem for all imports and I suspect it would be the same if I bought a brand new CRF250R from BigWing, they wouldn't have everything on the shelf. At least the smoker is reasonably simple and at the end of the day it's a weekend hobby not my daily transport so no biggie to wait a few weeks.

• Like 2

Fantastic little bike. Looks in very good condition. May i ask how much you paid - no problem if private.  To the OP , is "EDDYS" still going in Pattaya , over on the darkside if i remember , near the Siam Country Club/auction house.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I want one!

But I am not so sure if the police in Bangkok will let me get away with it. Or I just have to be faster than the police ?

I hope you are able to get all the spare parts you need. Some time ago I had a Kawasaki KDX and it was a nightmare to get parts...

There's been a street legal (with book & plate!) very clean KDX 250 advertised on B&S for a while now.

Still there, 95k no offers. Ferang owner, BKK location.

Sounds a bargain to me, 100 kgs 40bhp, beats the hell out of a 23 bhp, 135 kg CRF250L or KLX250....

43 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

There's been a street legal (with book & plate!) very clean KDX 250 advertised on B&S for a while now.

Sounds a bargain to me, 100 kgs 40bhp, beats the hell out of a 23 bhp, 135 kg CRF250L or KLX250....

I've ridden a '97  KDX with a lovely arrow exhaust fitted when I had a lot more hair on my head, many years ago. It was a great bike.

10 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I had a street legal KDX 200 with book and plate which I bought for 30k and I sold it years later for 20k - basically good condition but it was not running at that time, for years. I sold it to a mechanic and I told him the details.

Later that mechanic contacted me a couple of times for more details, especially places and people were I bought spare-parts The problem is there are just no parts available anymore and many of these bikes have minor or major changes which (obviously) nobody documented.

It's fun to have such a bike, if it works and if it's possible to repair it. It's frustrating if it does not work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Fantastic little bike. Looks in very good condition. May i ask how much you paid - no problem if private.  To the OP , is "EDDYS" still going in Pattaya , over on the darkside if i remember , near the Siam Country Club/auction house.

Yeah it's in pretty good condition, suspension feels good with no leaking seals, bearings all seem OK, clutch/gearbox feels good, has new hoses, brakes work fine, the motor runs great when ridden aggressively but it's a bit boggy down low. I know a lot of 125's are like that but I still suspect the jetting is off a bit so I'll have a play around with that. I've just ordered a new Wiseco piston/rings and an air filter as I'll need those things going forward. Just under 5000 Baht for both. 

I paid just under 60k for it including a basic service (change of transmission oil and coolant) and we set the correct sag for my weight etc. while I picked it up. He also delivered it for me for gas money. I saw a couple of similar bikes for low 50's but they were in a very poor condition. I think I need to spend about 8-9k on this one, so for under 70k I should have it up to scratch with a brand new piston/rings, new air filter and a couple of other odds and ends I've noticed.

I'd really like a brand new KTM 150 SX but at around 450k I really can't justify that amount of money for what I'm using it for at the moment.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TopMember said:

Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity, out here do dirt bikes have just import papers only? I suspect no book as they aren't street legal.

No books on the proper MX bikes, just invoice. The dual sports like CRF250L and KLX250 have books (or should have anyway).

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

PS. can anyone recommend a good, locally available coolant that's good for 2 strokes? Something like Engine Ice that's available locally?

Where are you based. In Chiang Mai there is the Burning off-road shop that sells something like Engine Ice etc. Ive used "Evans waterless coolan"t and "Water Wetter" with good results.  These will require import.