Chinese parents buy education and properties in Thailand as international school fees at home rise

webfact

28 minutes ago, tomster said:

If their kids are at school the parents would be able to get a Guardian visa (extension to stay based on your foreign childrens education).

No mystery, very common visa.

You are correct. I'd forgotten reading about them. 

What's interesting  though, is the property grab that goes along with it. No doubt using a Chinese run outfit that arrange the Thai majority ownership kerfuffle. 

Just now, Lupatria said:

Long time I was sceptic about the "chinesification" of this country. Now I think, in some cases colonialism helped countries to develop. I think China 000.4 will do it for a start.

Next door,  they've turned sleepy slutty Sihanookville into a mini Macao in a matter of months!  

I don't think many posters grasp the scale, speed, eye watering sums,  and tenacity of Chinese chequebook colonialism. 

Hun Sen loves them because they throw money at him with none of the tiresome human rights conditions the west imposed. 

The same is, or will soon, happen here, an opportunity to maybe exploit instead of fear,  because  it's not going away. 

Jim Rogers, based in Singapore, has insisted his pre-school kids learn Mandarin. He also deliberately abandoned the US to embrace the opportunity this tsunami of investment will bring.  That's one smart old fox. 

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Been to San Francisco? Used to be 95 percent White in 1940. In 1970 it was over 13 percent Black. Now? Whites are 48 percent and Blacks are less than 5 percent. Want to guess who is pushing them out?

Oh... you mean the original people of that particular area right?

It's not too late to turn back..as your upbringing and school brainwashed you...

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

They did the same in Australia and now its hard for young Aussies to be able to afford to buy their own home which will happen here very quickly as the Chinese don't care what they pay .

Aussies should ask Trump to build them a wall. 

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! Baffling too.

Perhaps she means, "but not in Thailand" as in, it's not possible in Thailand to find an English-speaking environment (apart from the bars!).

Thaksin had many of the schools to abandonn their teaching of English in favor of Chinese and other Asian languages.He stated that there were too much of an emphases on the English language.

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Peggy Wang, a mother of a 10-year old girl and six-year old boy, is one such parent who opted to move to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai, where annual tuition fees at less than 60,000 yuan (US$8,732) are a quarter of the 240,000 yuan her children’s Beijing bilingual school had charged.

How does she have two kids?  I was given to understand that China had a one birth policy; they are definitely not twins!  The ages of the kids would mean that their births occurred before any loosening of this policy.

The one child idea was abandon  about 10 years ago'

Peggy Wang, a mother of a 10-year old girl and six-year old boy, is one such parent who opted to move to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai, where annual tuition fees at less than 60,000 yuan (US$8,732) are a quarter of the 240,000 yuan her children’s Beijing bilingual school had charged.

How does she have two kids?  I was given to understand that China had a one birth policy; they are definitely not twins!  The ages of the kids would mean that their births occurred before any loosening of this policy.

you might consider staying up to date aka current on things

china has relaxed the rules in recent years, now you "may" have a second child.

4 hours ago, tomster said:

If their kids are at school the parents would be able to get a Guardian visa (extension to stay based on your foreign childrens education).

No mystery, very common visa.

Correct on the Visa for their kids in a Thai school.  Have a couple of Chinese families renting the two houses next to me here in CM.  Wife and kids are here while the husbands are back in China working.  They are very well behaved, even have kids from other families (who have to work in China to make money) living with them and attending an English speaking international school.  They are not like your typical Chinese junk tourists.  Very friendly, clean, and proactively helpful.  They just want what every parent wants, the best they can provide for their children's future.  Instead of being in some pollution choked Chinese city ingrained with doctrine and rote learning, they opted to leave their family and friends to come where the level of pollution is much lower and the level of freedom of thought is more along the lines of western education.  They have brought money over and invested in condo's (since that is all they can really own) and bank CDs.  To tell the truth, overall, could have had much worse neighbors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, if the Chinese are buying "properties" then it must be condos etc. due to the restrictions...and as for excellent quality education here, lol, right...we all know about that. With the war on foreign teachers still ongoing and the ever tightening screw being applied in many areas, I'm surprised there are any left. So many have bailed for sweeter places in the last 5-10 years, that most of them that are left (that are capable) are the ones that are the legit, married or dedicated and heavily invested here that can easily get WPs and are at the place they have been for a long while, but there aren't many of them these days and most places that can afford a foreign teacher are desperate for them. This whole report seems odd but maybe the situation in China could be really bad for all I know...maybe, haha. 

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

Where is this English speaking environment in Thailand; in bars?

I have been in Thailand 7 yrs and there are 2 English and English computer schools (Aomyai)One across the ally street and one on the other side of the same block not to name all the one's I see on my way to Paradise Mall

14 hours ago, jmacken306 said:

I have been in Thailand 7 yrs and there are 2 English and English computer schools (Aomyai)One across the ally street and one on the other side of the same block not to name all the one's I see on my way to Paradise Mall

Specific Language schools are not 'an environment'.  They are businesses designed to help desperate; far-sighted Thais to improve their English skills.  Outside of these specific centres, there is no milieu as quoted in the article.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Small Joke said:

you'll see Chinese customers and Thai staff communicating in rudimentary English.  

I have rarely seen any examples of this.  I have seen any number of Chinese shoving their way to the front of a queue in 7-11s with a purchase or grunting and pointing at a can of coke.  Hardly an environment referred to in the original article.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I have rarely seen any examples of this.  I have seen any number of Chinese shoving their way to the front of a queue in 7-11s with a purchase or grunting and pointing at a can of coke. 

How terribly uncivilized, I hope you recover from the trauma quickly!

21 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Instead of being in some pollution choked Chinese city ingrained with doctrine and rote learning,

less polluted?? thailand and indoctrination and rote learning as well as a culture that does not stimulate creative thinking or intellectual curiosity 

34 minutes ago, atyclb said:

less polluted?? thailand and indoctrination and rote learning as well as a culture that does not stimulate creative thinking or intellectual curiosity 

Living in Chiang Mai, has kinda smog for about 3 mo, the rest of the year is pretty nice.  The kids are going to an American curriculum accredited International School that encourages creativity and independent thinking.  Stand by my post ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The real question is, will they be indoctrinated into Sakdina or Communism?

This may be the most difficult obstacle. Perhaps a middle ground can be found whereby the Thais give all of them -- the entire group in their eventual 10s of millions -- an order in the Sakdina below any Thai and above any Farang.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Sir Dude said:

Well, if the Chinese are buying "properties" then it must be condos etc. due to the restrictions...and as for excellent quality education here, lol, right...we all know about that. With the war on foreign teachers still ongoing and the ever tightening screw being applied in many areas, I'm surprised there are any left. So many have bailed for sweeter places in the last 5-10 years, that most of them that are left (that are capable) are the ones that are the legit, married or dedicated and heavily invested here that can easily get WPs and are at the place they have been for a long while, but there aren't many of them these days and most places that can afford a foreign teacher are desperate for them. This whole report seems odd but maybe the situation in China could be really bad for all I know...maybe, haha. 

I am assuming the Chinese won't be sending their kids to learn in Thai schools. 

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I am assuming the Chinese won't be sending their kids to learn in Thai schools. 

Many of these "fifth column" Chinese kids attend school in Western countries.

But, because there are so many of these kids, there is still room for other locales of study.

I suspect the kind of kids who would attend international schools in Thailand are fairly mediocre but what we would consider middle-class or upper-middle class kids.

They almost certainly will learn less than they would in China -- though the boys will have a great time pursuing their better looking Thai-blended girls.