Possible 3rd visa exempt in a row

Hi guys,

Any opinions appreciated in advance. My question is based around a possible 3rd visa exempt in a row. I appreciate I could get a tourist visa in various locations but right now my question is about peoples opinions on this. I may well consider a TV over and above this if the majority opinion is I will be denied entry.

Here is my current status :

1. British national
  2. 2 land border exempts for this year starting in May. Second with a 30 day extension, not the first. 2 Cambodia trips in between. Currently in Cambodia having left Thailand about 4 days ago.
  3. Can show 20,000 with SCB bank book and/or SCB bank statement.
  4. Have a flight booked leaving the country to go into Laos which leaves within the month I am about to ask for.

I know i wont get another land border exempt. My question is about flying into either BKK or DMK. My intention after that is to fly into Laos and obtain a single Non O visa because by then I will be married and I already have a son.  I just need 30 more days and then I can get married, off to Laos for the Non O.

So my question is in your opinion will I get any grief ? and if I do, do you think explaining I will get married and already have a son show good intention etc ? Or is it totally irrelevant to them as we are dealing with a exempt. I do by the way have my son's birth certificate and my gf's home book for address purposes. 

Thanks 

Edited by OllyBkk

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should not have a problem flying in.

3. You need to show the equivalent of 10k baht in cash for a visa exempt entry if asked. Bank books and statement are not accepted

OK thanks for that. I will have to take out USD here then. 

And in your opinion if im already being questioned then its probably all over right ? Showing them about my son etc wont mean much ? The impression i get is its mainly about the flight out, the cash and then the rest is whether or not the immigration officer had enough sleep the night before !

Edited by OllyBkk

3 minutes ago, OllyBkk said:

And in your opinion if im already being questioned then its probably all over right ? Showing them about my son etc wont mean much ? The impression i get is its all about the flight out, the cash and then the rest is whether or not the immigration officer had enough sleep the night before ?

If questioned telling them you have a Thai child would probably help.

Most people that are questioned are allowed entry if they had what was mentioned to show.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you have a Thai son and the birth certificate why don’t you get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ visa now? You don’t need to wait to be married.

As far as I know you need to be registered as the legal father for that. Birth certificate is not enough.

Edited by PhoSai

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

might be worth noting that you can get extensions for 60 days instead of 30 as you have a kid

But I suppose better I just get married, do the non o in Laos. I just need to get in more time basically.

1 minute ago, OllyBkk said:

Interesting. So that's an extension on the exempt for 60 days ?

Yes  It can be applied for any type of entry.

It can also be applied for at some offices after getting the 30 day extension.

• Thanks 1

as aljaviero pointed out you can get non o based on being a parent

OK yes but im not legally the father yet am i ? in Thai law. I would have to marry first, so means I need to get into Thailand again.

1 minute ago, OllyBkk said:

Thanks.

So I get in, marry, then go and get my 60 day extension with i assume marriage cert and birth cert for my son ? Any proof of income involved ?

no proof of income and you wouldn't need a marriage cert as you would be applying as a parent of a thai

no proof of income and you wouldn't need a marriage cert as you would be applying as a parent of a thai

Hi,

OK that's useful to know in regards to the extension. That surely wont be the same for an embassy outside would it ? I thought they wanted to see marriage and/or registry of legal father. As well as birth certificate. 

25 minutes ago, PhoSai said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you have a Thai son and the birth certificate why don’t you get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ visa now? You don’t need to wait to be married.

Edited 1 minute ago by PhoSai

Re deleted text. I appreciate you deleted/edited your post, but I think it's worth a reply anyway as you seem misinformed.

"In Thai law im not legally the father yet until married/court order or registry at amphur." 

That is true. But you don't need to have your parenthood legalised to get a visa. That is only required if you want an extension of stay as a parent and aren't married to the mother.

"Unless what you are telling me is that a birth certificate alone is enough for a non o ?" 

Yes, that is enough.

Whether you get a non 'O' now based on being a parent or wait and get it based on being a spouse - it will be the exact same visa. It will give you a 90 day stay on entry to the country. That 90 stay can be extended by 60 days for being the parent (not legalised) OR being married. The 90 day stay can also be extended by 1 year once you are married, OR you are the legalised parent if not married to the mother.

The rules are different for applying for an entry visa to applying to extend your stay once in Thailand.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Re deleted text. I appreciate you deleted/edited your post, but I think it's worth a reply anyway as you seem misinformed.

"In Thai law im not legally the father yet until married/court order or registry at amphur." 

That is true. But you don't need to have your parenthood legalised to get a visa. That is only required if you want an extension of stay as a parent and aren't married to the mother.

"Unless what you are telling me is that a birth certificate alone is enough for a non o ?" 

Yes, that is enough.

Whether you get a non 'O' now based on being a parent or wait and get it based on being a spouse - it will be the exact same visa. It will give you a 90 day stay on entry to the country. That 90 stay can be extended by 60 days for being the parent (not legalised) OR being married. The 90 day stay can also be extended by 1 year once you are married, OR the legalised parent if unmarried.

OK thanks but i now have 2 people with contradicting opinions. Someone else said I dont need a marriage cert or to be defined as the legal father to extend as the parent.

I personally dont want to take risks with turning up to an embassy with only the birth certificate. What I can be alot sure of is marriage certificate and birth cert. And as UbonJoe doesnt think I will have a problem getting another exempt I might as well just pop in for 2 weeks, get married and then go to Laos. 

Thanks for your comments. 

Edited by OllyBkk

14 minutes ago, OllyBkk said:

OK thanks but i now have 2 people with contradicting opinions. Someone else said I dont need a marriage cert or to be defined as the legal father to extend as the parent.

You do not need to be the legal father of your child to get a non-o visa or the 60 day extension. It is only required if you applied for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

14 minutes ago, OllyBkk said:

I personally dont want to take risks with turning up to an embassy with only the birth certificate. What I can be alot sure of is marriage certificate and birth cert. And as UbonJoe doesnt think I will have a problem getting another exempt I might as well just pop in for 2 weeks, get married and then go to Laos. 

Cambodia is not a good place to even try for the visa. The embassy in Phnom Penh is not known as a good location for getting non-o visas. Plus it takes about 3 days to get any visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need to be the legal father of your child to get a non-o visa or the 60 day extension. It is only required if you applied for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

Cambodia is not a good place to even try for the visa. The embassy in Phnom Penh is not known as a good location for getting non-o visas. Plus it takes about 3 days to get any visa.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

31 minutes ago, OllyBkk said:

It depends on the extension you are applying for.

• 60 days = Do not need to be the legalised parent.
  • 1 year = Need to be legalised parent.

I personally dont want to take risks with turning up to an embassy with only the birth certificate. What I can be alot sure of is marriage certificate and birth cert.

If you're married you don't need a birth certificate. If you're the parent you don't need a marriage certificate. Having both makes no difference.

And as UbonJoe doesnt think I will have a problem getting another exempt I might as well just pop in for 2 weeks, get married and then go to Laos. 

UJ is right that you should not have a problem getting another visa exempt entry. But no one can be sure of that. What we can tell you for sure is that you can get a SE Non 'O' visa with a birth certificate without being married.

You could pop to Laos now. The Consulate in Savannakhet, or the Embassy in Vientiane will both issue SE non 'O' visas without any problem. Next day service.

The visa is available at Phnom Penh too -- http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86346-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(Thai-Family).html

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It depends on the extension you are applying for.

• 60 days = Do not need to be the legalised parent.
  • 1 year = Need to be legalised parent.

If you're married you don't need a birth certificate. If you're the parent you don't need a marriage certificate. Having both makes no difference.

UJ is right that you should not have a problem getting another visa exempt entry. But no one can be sure of that. What we can tell you for sure is that you can get a SE Non 'O' visa with a birth certificate without being married.

You could pop to Laos now. The Consulate in Savannakhet, or the Embassy in Vientiane will both issue SE non 'O' visas without any problem.

Thanks. Ok its sounding like a possibility. What about the cash situation ? How much do they want to see ? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, OllyBkk said:

Thanks. Ok its sounding like a possibility. What about the cash situation ? How much do they want to see ? 

Thanks

• You don't need to show any financial information in Laos.
  • I don't know about Cambodia. The Phnom Penh website indicates they want to see a bank statement, but it doesn't say how much. I would imagine they just want to see the equivalent of 20K baht, but I don't know for sure.

24 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • You don't need to show any financial information in Laos.
  • I don't know about Cambodia. The Phnom Penh website indicates they want to see a bank statement, but it doesn't say how much. I would imagine they just want to see the equivalent of 20K baht, but I don't know for sure.

Ok thanks. 

17 hours ago, OllyBkk said:

OK yes but im not legally the father yet am i ? in Thai law. I would have to marry first, so means I need to get into Thailand again.

I was able to get a non-o from Savanakhet before I was married based on my son.  If I recall, I needed the birth certificate and a copy of mom's id card and tabian baan.

• Like 1

In case it can help you, my situation might be the same as yours.
I am father of a thai child, my name is on the birth certificate, but I don't have the legal rights as a father, no court order has ever been done to give me legal rights.

I got several Non O's single entry back to back, no problem, in Savannakhet.

Morever, after my 90 days, I just go to Chaengwattana with my gf, and my son, and I get 60 days more for 1900, there again, never had any problem, even though my son and my gf are not on the same tabien baan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If already in Phnom Penh, it would not hurt to attempt an application.  I successfully received a single-entry Non-O from them based on marriage a year+ ago - after they had become "more difficult" with applicants.  I did supply an income-letter, but not sure if that was necessary (I had it for use at immigration in-country, but my local-office was corrupt, so could not get my Non-O stamp there). 

If you attempt to apply, and they want something you don't have, you could either go to Laos (where success assured), or possibly get a Tourist Visa.  In the best case, do expect 3 to 4-day service, however.  Whether the wait is better than a trip to Laos is up to you.

3 hours ago, smileplur said:

I was able to get a non-o from Savanakhet before I was married based on my son.  If I recall, I needed the birth certificate and a copy of mom's id card and tabian baan.

Can also go for the non-o multi 1yr if wanted only on a birth-sertificate.Much less hazzle them a marrige visa.Only bank-statement of 200 000.No papers from mom needed.Tabien Ban yes.It is alowed to be a dad even without the mom involved.Actually better to keep her out of the picture.

26 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Can also go for the non-o multi 1yr if wanted only on a birth-sertificate.Much less hazzle them a marrige visa.Only bank-statement of 200 000.No papers from mom needed.Tabien Ban yes.It is alowed to be a dad even without the mom involved.Actually better to keep her out of the picture.

You appear to be writing about Penang not Savannakhet. Savannakhet will not issue them.