Help to transfer Swiss Driving License to temp. Thai

moogradod

On the premises of the Chonburi Immigration Office is an agency (Chang Pattaya Services Co. Ltd.) which offers help if you want to get a temporary 2 year driver license if you have already a foreign license. Their services are not really cheap but maybe very well worth the money (seems to be a LOT more convenient, prior legalization of home driving  license through the embassy not needed etc.).

Has anybody had experiences with that office and is the license you get a real valid one ? If yes then I am happy to pay extra for the service.

Edited by moogradod
misspelling

First, I did both my licences on my own including a trip to the Swiss Embassy for the translation of the Swiss driving licence. And since I combined it with a shopping trip, it was quite an enjoyable day...

So I can not comment on the "office" you want to use, but think about the following requirements that will not be met when this "office" does your licence for you:

• eye tests (colour, depth view)
  • reaction test
  • picture taking into the database

Would you consider your licences to be legal and "real" when non of the above has been done? 

Would you consider using such an "office" also in Switzerland (if it would exist), knowing exactly that it involves bribing the DLT officers?

Thanks for your valuable thoughts. I would consider a license as legal and real if it is officially registered and recognized by the Thai Government.

So as far as your point "taking the picture in the database" and furthermore anything concerning my existing license and personal data in the DLT database is concerned this is a reqirement. If you would transfer your Swiss License in any other country I know it would be mere paperwork and no additional tests whatsoever would be necessary if you do not want to do a license from scratch.

This office takes one obviously to the DLT. They dont do it on their own, so how this works I do not know.

I have an international driving license (=translation of the Swiss license) as well.

By the way - how could you accomplish to obtain a translation and legislation from the Swiss Embassy in one day ? I have heard that it must as well be legalized by the "Consular Affairs" (whatever that is) on wireless road. Or is this statement wrong ? Considering alll this hassle, the offer from the office is tempting.

Edited by moogradod
misspelling

6 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks for your valuable thoughts. I would consider a license as legal and real if it is officially registered and recognized by the Thai Government.

So as far as your point "taking the picture in the database" and furthermore anything concerning my existing license and personal data in the DLT database is concerned this is a reqirement. If you would transfer your Swiss License in any other country I know it would be mere paperwork and no additional tests whatsoever would be necessary if you do not want to do a license from scratch.

This office takes one obviously to the DLT. They dont do it on their own, so how this works I do not know.

I have an international driving license (=translation of the Swiss license) as well.

By the way - how could you accomplish to obtain a translation and legislation from the Swiss Embassy in one day ? I have heard that it must as well be legalized by the "Consular Affairs" (whatever that is) on wireless road. Or is this statement wrong ? Considering alll this hassle, the offer from the office is tempting.

Tempting, but you should not have a problem doing it by yourself. Isn't it that this office just guides you through the process and drives you there? Efficient and friendly staff and procedures @the MVD. And yes, as Swiss you will probably be the best driver around that day....5555555... Be careful with the depth perception test. Raise your head a bit to get best view. Watch a couple of people ahead of you doing it. Friends have failed and had to go back next day. Good luck. MS>

25 minutes ago, moogradod said:

You have an "Internationaler Führerschein" which translates into international driving permit (not licence), the same I had when I moved to Thailand. But when I went to the DLT, they informed me that for Swiss drivers licences, they require a certified translation from the Swiss Embassy and they even showed me the form, so no way around that for me.

How did I do it? I went to the Swiss Embassy at 9 morning, gave them my driving licence, waited for around 45 minutes and got the form back, duly certified and stamped by the Embassy (that is what "cosular affairs" on wireless road is actually) and paid, but can't remember how much.

Important note 1: If you have any "A" category in your current licence (even if only A1), you will be able to get two licences (motorbike and car) with no limits, so don't forget to get 2 copies of all documents you need (including resident certificate).

Important note 2: If you do not yet have your name translated to Thai, the Embassy will do this for you. If however you already have such a translation (like I had on my marriage papers, yellow book and Thai foreigner ID), then you must bring that translation to the Embassy, so they can use the same translation for the driver licence. Otherwise it can cause problems later on with various Thai agencies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this very important remarks. Very much appreciated !

I have a name translation on my marriage certificate, so this will be used.

Very helpful to point out that I need two sets of documents - even for the residence certificate - for I have indeed category A1.

And you are also correct stating that I have a "Internationaler Führerschein" - based on the 1968 treaty that Thailand did not sign. But it remains a translation of my Swiss License even then regardless under which treaty.

Good to know that "Consular Affairs" and the Embassy seem to be synonymous. Strange since a friend of mine said he had to legalize it "there, too".

Still not sure if I am not using the agency anyway. Its on the premises of the immigration office - cannot be all that bad. It must just be assured that when I want to get the 5 year version the old one is recognized instead of sending me to jail. I intend to stay within the limits of legislation. But your remarks have helped really a lot.

Edited by moogradod