Cremation / Health Insurance

DJ54

I searched the forum but no luck. I attended a farang friends cremation this week. He had some type of insurance that paid 30,000 (there was a sign held for picture) I’m assuming to help with cremation etc. . I live in a village in the NE he lived just down the dirt road.

Anyone heard of this? 

Secondly  is there health insurance that’s affordable? I’ve 64 and had four heart surgeries since I was 40. At 40 quadruple bi pass, and three angioplasty (not sure if that’s how it’s spelled)since two in US through groin and last one in China (Taiwan Dr.) through wrist. I was told that due to the condition another bi pass was not possible.

In US I had health insurance at a company I worked for a long time before / after issues and was covered so no pre existing condition. Started my own business and was deemed uninsurable since. I’m sure I could’ve got insurance for an outrageous price but.....Pay as you go. 

Is is there affordable insurance with this history? 

Thanks for for any information 

I very much doubt you can get regular health insuran e with this history. At a minimum all cardiovascular conditions would be excluded.

You can get a personalaccident insurance policy. At your age AFAIK best optionwould be the Bangkok Insurance which will cover up to 200k in medical expenses. There is also a death benefit but only if death due to accident.

You need to self insure and that means putting aside a large sum of money (several million baht) to cover health care costs. If you can't afford to do this maybe rethink living here. You will soon be eligible for Medicare in the US...

Many villages have a type of funersl fund each household pays into, that may be what your friend has as the amount sounds low to have been life insurance.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that depends on what your definition of affordable is.

I just renewed my health ins. I have a $1,000,000 policy, only exclusions is for a ruptured achilles tendon I had repaired 10 years ago. I have had the policy for 5 years now & the renewal annual premium was $2036. I am 62. To me that's affordable...not cheap, but affordable.

I would doubt that anyone would write you a policy at all, and if they did there would be exclusions out the ying yang.

I would think Medicare in the US would be your best bet, but you'll either have to live in the US or travel back for medical care. If you plan on staying here, keep at least a million Baht or two in the bank as self insurance. .

Archived