Prayuth Splashes Out In Chumphon, Still Denies He’s Campaigning

Jonathan Fairfield

Prayuth Splashes Out In Chumphon, Still Denies He’s Campaigning

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

chumphon-696x463.jpg

Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday visits people in Chumphon province.

CHUMPHON — Junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday defended his cabinet’s doling out of pork in the southern province of Chumphon, where he also mentioned Feb. 24 as a possible election date.

Speaking in Chumphon province, Prayuth said he wasn’t there to hand out money for support of his government but rather to develop the region through the proposed southern economic corridor project – which includes developing tourism, airports and regional seaports.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/08/21/prayuth-splashes-out-in-chumphon-still-denies-hes-campaigning/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-21

The Thai Niyom funding is a bottomless pit of free money for the Junta Party to use as they choose to gain popularity for the the PM Prayut on his electioneering caravan.

In the meantime while he is preoccupied with winning votes and joyously waving to his sycophants the Country is going down the drain. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Speaking in Chumphon province, Prayuth said he wasn’t there to hand out money for support of his government

Upon further reading......

Either way, his visit to the south came with the cabinet approving a possible 200 billion baht for 34 projects in the southern provinces of Chumpon, Ranong, Surat Thani and Nakhon Sri Thammarat

I really hope somebody is collecting all this information so they can throw the book at him and his cronies as soon as the country is free from military rule again. Also throw out Article 44 and arrest him and send him to jail where he tried to send others before him. I hope this happens sooner rather than later. We don't want him to die of old age like others before ( Pol Pot, etc) and not stand trial.

16 hours ago, baboon said:

Look at the narrow scope of the photo, indicating he wasn't exactly mobbed...

I for one am real curious about the election results. I really want to know if all this money that has been splashed around and all the former PM's bribed have an effect or not. Based on that I might have to revise or not revise my opinion on buying votes. This would really show if just splashing money around works or not. 

Your right that he is not mobbed at all will see if its an good indicator or not.

7 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

He gets to campaign while everyone else just gets to watch.  There are only 6 months from now until election day.   When will this tinpot allow others to campaign and openly appose him. 

Maybe next month.. and after that maybe the month after that.. and then the month after that... rinse and repeat until its too late.

2 hours ago, generealty said:

I really hope somebody is collecting all this information so they can throw the book at him and his cronies as soon as the country is free from military rule again. Also throw out Article 44 and arrest him and send him to jail where he tried to send others before him. I hope this happens sooner rather than later. We don't want him to die of old age like others before ( Pol Pot, etc) and not stand trial.

You're forgetting uncle tuu has given himself a blanket amnesty past -present and future, so cannot be blamed for anything that happens under his forced leadership!

21 hours ago, coulson said:

Upon further reading......

Either way, his visit to the south came with the cabinet approving a possible 200 billion baht for 34 projects in the southern provinces of Chumpon, Ranong, Surat Thani and Nakhon Sri Thammarat

So he is handing out money through projects, which could be legitimate if the contracts are awarded based on capability and merit. But, it is not unreasonable to expect this campaign visit was to promise the contracts to people who can influence votes...so he was basically handing out money.

He also denied he would stage a coup, he then denied becoming PM, promised elections about five times on different dates, denied wanting to have a new term and more of this nonsense. 

Of course he is campaigning, been doing it for the past few months. It won't help him, unless he rigs the elections. Keeping up appearances is all this is. Meanwhile the competition is banned from doing the same, hence there is no level playing field. 

The most ironic thing of all of this is how he is replicating Thaksin like there is no tomorrow. And throwing money away like there is no tomorrow, all this talk about good governance and populist policies was a dam lie in the first place, what a surprise ?

Always the same with Thais though...don't take away their Internet/social media, Channel 3 soap operas, food, shopping malls and cheap dangerous transport then they don't care about anything. They are quite happy to be lead by the nose ring from their rich shepherds who only care for greed, power and influence. I could go on...but won't.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:26 PM, maxcorrigan said:

You're forgetting uncle tuu has given himself a blanket amnesty past -present and future, so cannot be blamed for anything that happens under his forced leadership!

Not if future government vote to overthrow Article 44.

I thought the headline suggested he went for a swim in Chumpon. If he had he may of got a serious ear infection. The Gulf is toxic.

Campaiging??  Thais dont know anything about campaigns.

Look at the guy he's standing next to. Is he politically savvy ?

BAHT BAHT BAHT

17 hours ago, generealty said:

Not if future government vote to overthrow Article 44.

IT's not article 44 that shields him, the constitution shields him, and there is almost no possible way for any future government to change it, unless they want to be sent home. The senate is completely controlled by the NCPO, and they are legally obliged to follow the 20 year roadmap. In any case, changing that amnesty will never make it through the senate. 

Archived