Foreign Teacher Crackdown To Continue

Jai Dee

Foreign teacher crackdown to continue

Just more xenophobia racisms from the Thai authorities, do they real want us here.

One question for Gen Suwat will this crack down include Thai teachers as well as Falangs?I.E. degrees back gound checks.

I do remember in the BKK post, that the same time as the Karr uproar, There were 2 Thai teacher accused of multiple assaults & rape on teir students at a BKK school that went very quiet??

Paul

Actually, it wasn't quiet, but you needed to read the Thai newspapers to hear about it.

Many foreigners don't understand that the Thai publications report on different things than The Post or The Nation.

The Post and Nation, most of the time focus on stories directly affecting foreigners, because those are there readers.

2 Thai teachers accused of something like that will get a mention in the foreigner papers, but it is doubtful there will be a follow up story. But that doesn't mean in went away quietly.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read everything, so I may be repeating what's been said, but here's what I know. . . . He DID NOT have a police clearance . . .He was subsequently rejected for a non-immigrant B.

Thanks for posting this Scott. This seems pretty clear. However, just to make sure I am reading correctly. To obtain Non-imm B for teaching (at least in Penang, and in the case of your applicant), required documents are

The usual

(1) Sponsorship-Offer of employment letter

(2) Copies of company registration documents

and

(3) Letter from MOE saying credentials are OK on a preliminary basis

(4) Police Clearance.

Is that correct?

Aloha,

Rex

Still, we'd rather live here on a pittance and a retirement visa, than in Fortress UK................

Okinasan

Hi Okinsan,

This is unfortunate, but not really relevant to Thailand. You don't have a Thailand problem, you have a "life problem." You lost originals (and apparently made no copies) of your degrees from a school that no longer exists. If you worked for an agency (in any country in the world) responsible for verifying credentials, how would you respond to someone in your situation?

I am not familiar with UK system, but assuming that your degrees had some sort of accreditation, would not the accrediting body be able to verify the former existence of the institution(s) you attended? Assuming that your schools had any substance and credibility whatsoever, one would think they made provisions for their alumni to obtain verification of records. Is there no way to contact any of the directors of your school who could help you re-document what you are claiming? I vaguely recall that there are some sources in the U.S. which help people in your situation. The UK has a lot more "patch work" educational paths than the U.S. I would think someone can help you.

Good luck.

Aloha,

Rex

Just more xenophobia racisms from the Thai authorities, do they real want us here.

One question for Gen Suwat will this crack down include Thai teachers as well as Falangs?I.E. degrees back gound checks.

I do remember in the BKK post, that the same time as the Karr uproar, There were 2 Thai teacher accused of multiple assaults & rape on teir students at a BKK school that went very quiet??

Paul

Actually, it wasn't quiet, but you needed to read the Thai newspapers to hear about it.

Many foreigners don't understand that the Thai publications report on different things than The Post or The Nation.

The Post and Nation, most of the time focus on stories directly affecting foreigners, because those are there readers.

2 Thai teachers accused of something like that will get a mention in the foreigner papers, but it is doubtful there will be a follow up story. But that doesn't mean in went away quietly.

So What happened as I can't read Thai I know the school were trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Paul

Paul

Quote lordsux:

I'd say that most of the illegal teachers like myself are far better persons than most of the b!tches on this forum that love to rip the teachers apart at every chance they get. At least most of us earn an honest living and even give something back to the country that we live in.

An example of the "Qualified Teaching Farang"?

Quote lordsux:

I'd say that most of the illegal teachers like myself are far better persons than most of the b!tches on this forum that love to rip the teachers apart at every chance they get. At least most of us earn an honest living and even give something back to the country that we live in.

Troll

Paul

So What happened as I can't read Thai I know the school were trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Paul

Paul

Two word spring to mind with whatisgoing on here.

Falang witchhunt.

Paul

Another two words come to mind about all this.

VERY SAD!

Screen ALL, have checks and balances, stay real, balance it all out, quit the arrogance.

Remember it's a bloody small world and:

We ALL live in glass castles.

Live and let live.

Regards to all, where ever you hail from or happen to be headed to.

Big Paulee.

Quote lordsux:

the words that you've underlined in your post are totally inconguous. get LEGAL before telling everyone that you are earning a honest living... by the way, you suppose to use "a" not "an" for the word honest.

Edited by thai_narak

by the way, you suppose to use "a" not "an" for the word honest.

Don't make yourself look like an a$$ too. The word 'honest' begins with a vowel sound therefore it is preceded by the indefinite article 'an' not 'a'. Also, 'you suppose' should read: 'you're supposed'. :o

The thing that makes me glad to be a teacher is that at least I wasn't working on the new Airport! Sure glad that was a completely "Thai" project!

Bet your wrong they wilsay a falang teacher taught the engineers or something like that. No Thais can be at fault.

Paul

In UK there is nos such thing as an "accrediting" body as such. The non-uni degree were awarded vy the CNAA (Council National Academic Awards). Universities had a Royal Charter to award degrees. Basically there were only 50 unis prior to 1992 so UK didnt need accrediting bodies like the USA which has more of a "laissez faire" approach to education.

Post 1992 Polytechnics were given uni status (despite some of them being crud) so that THEY COULD RECRUIT MORE ASIAN STUDENTS!

No legit British unis have gone bust or closed down. Anyone who has lost their degree can get a copy from the uni (former polytechnics will issue a degree in their name as I understand it). Anyone claiming otherwise is........

Still, we'd rather live here on a pittance and a retirement visa, than in Fortress UK................

Okinasan

Hi Okinsan,

This is unfortunate, but not really relevant to Thailand. You don't have a Thailand problem, you have a "life problem." You lost originals (and apparently made no copies) of your degrees from a school that no longer exists. If you worked for an agency (in any country in the world) responsible for verifying credentials, how would you respond to someone in your situation?

I am not familiar with UK system, but assuming that your degrees had some sort of accreditation, would not the accrediting body be able to verify the former existence of the institution(s) you attended? Assuming that your schools had any substance and credibility whatsoever, one would think they made provisions for their alumni to obtain verification of records. Is there no way to contact any of the directors of your school who could help you re-document what you are claiming? I vaguely recall that there are some sources in the U.S. which help people in your situation. The UK has a lot more "patch work" educational paths than the U.S. I would think someone can help you.

Good luck.

Aloha,

Rex

Don't make yourself look like an a$$ too. The word 'honest' begins with a vowel sound therefore it is preceded by the indefinite article 'an' not 'a'. Also, 'you suppose' should read: 'you're supposed'. :o

that's why i'm not a teacher I guess... :D

That's ok. Just don't play with sharp objects unless you know how to use them correctly. :D

A side issue I know, but not true. The Bangkok Post's own figures say 70 per cent of their readers are educated Thai nationals.

I am not a teacher, but to me the solution is simple. I had to apply for my Non-B from the UK before I left, so surely it would be easy for those issuing the visa's to conduct the relevent checks at that time. And yes, I agree it should apply to anyone working with children in any respect - farang or not. There must be a marketing benefit too for the schools that adopt this? If I had children I would choose a school which had checked its teachers over one that hadn't.

But, in all this, you have to remember that any criminal check or disclosure is like a snapshot - it can change the moment its done. It would need to be done at regular intervals - just like in the UK now.

Not too sure how things apply back in Australia. However when I asked my Uni for a copy of my Diploma of Applied Science, they said they could not issue me with one.

The original, along with much other was taken when my ex decided she would empty the house along with my vehicle; whilst I was away getting my dog attended to in another state, after coming to grief with a car.

What the Uni did do was issue me with an official fully endorsed Academic extract of ALL my qulaifications.

This was more than enough to satisfy the school I am currently working in, which is simply fantastic.

They organise and pay for ALL the visa requirements, work permit, 90 day reports. In addition to which we have solid written contracts on a 1+1 basis, we have medical insurance subsidised 50% by the school and ANY trips, including accomodation and travel, as part of the requirements for the job, are fully reimbursed.

The after school work, if you want it, whilst sometimes sporadic, is plentiful.

All in all I have been damned lucky from what I have read elsewhere and they (The Administration) seem to be actually holding their breath hoping we all re-sign.

The contracts have year bonuses and each year the salary and bonus are negotiated higher, not lower.

If we ever need assistance or extra resources, then we have been advised to simply ask.

This is a Government school by the way and NOT in Bangkok.

Good luck to all.

Big Paulee.

In UK there is nos such thing as an "accrediting" body as such. The non-uni degree were awarded vy the CNAA (Council National Academic Awards). Universities had a Royal Charter to award degrees. Basically there were only 50 unis prior to 1992 so UK didnt need accrediting bodies like the USA which has more of a "laissez faire" approach to education.

Post 1992 Polytechnics were given uni status (despite some of them being crud) so that THEY COULD RECRUIT MORE ASIAN STUDENTS!

No legit British unis have gone bust or closed down. Anyone who has lost their degree can get a copy from the uni (former polytechnics will issue a degree in their name as I understand it). Anyone claiming otherwise is........

Okinasan

Hi Okinsan,

Good luck.

Aloha,

Rex

what about the two thai teachers who raped 2 young scool girls last year,will they be looking at their own teachers... also i know a teacher who works in a large thai high school in bangkok who has false bsc degree ,from kow sarn rd..

Edited by martine

That's ok. Just don't play with sharp objects unless you know how to use them correctly. :D

Priceless!! :D

From my experience, Thai students can get all the English language theory and grammar from books and non native speakers/teachers. What they need native language speakers for is to correct their English and get them communicating in English (talking/listening). Thus do you need to be a qualified English teacher for correcting English conversation? I believe there should be two types of English language teacher; the proper qualified teacher, and the casual native speaker just for communication classes. The latter just needs to have a reasonable command of his/her native language and not necessarily be highly qualified? My sister did the casual conversation type teaching many years ago in Hong Kong, and it seemed to work out very well.

Edited by MaiChai

From my experience, Thai students can get all the English language theory and grammar from books and non native speakers/teachers. What they need native language speakers for is to correct their English and get them communicating in English (talking/listening). Thus do you need to be a qualified English teacher for correcting English conversation? I believe there should be two types of English language teacher; the proper qualified teacher, and the casual native speaker just for communication classes. The latter just needs to have a reasonable command of his/her native language and not necessarily be highly qualified? My sister did the casual conversation type teaching many years ago in Hong Kong, and it seemed to work out very well.

That's not a bad idea, but I wonder how many schools can afford to pay for both positions? I do understand what you mean - we use Thai english translators, but I (as a native English speaker) need to re-write their translations to enable them to read properly. That's the same principal, but it does cost more.

That's not a bad idea, but I wonder how many schools can afford to pay for both positions? I do understand what you mean - we use Thai english translators, but I (as a native English speaker) need to re-write their translations to enable them to read properly. That's the same principal, but it does cost more.

And English conversation classes to 50 or so kids crammed into a hot classroom where probably only 20 of the kids 'really' want to learn English doesn't help much either.

I would also like to remind our viewers that teachers working without work permits are not necessarily those without qualifications. Those of us who have been through "the process" know how fiendishly difficult it can be to complete the whole paper mill (a difficulty that I suppose can only be increasing as we speak) and how hard it can be simply to find a school that has any intention of going through it with them- you can't do it alone, it requires a semi-credible sponsor.

The danger of all this talk of "crackdown" when there are actually so few legal foreign teachers is that it will actually increase the ratio between illegal and legal foreign teachers here. At the moment, for reasons pointed out in exhaustive detail on the two *previous* "crackdown" threads, the requirements are somewhere between impossible and unknown.

"Steven"

Here here, the most pertinent, sane post I've read in weeks.

Just as a matter of interest how many teachers who use the forum would like the teachers forum regarded as a teachers only area? Perhaps we could have a vote?

I for one (and I know I'm not alone) am sick and tired of hearing 100,000 baht plus per month, ignorant, bigotted and far from angelic retired, one foot in the grave low life male whores continually making negative non-contsructive cheap shots day in day out that pertains to nothing to do with teaching other than the fake this - he's a judas- no WP-he's a Judas. Didn't have a background check and was caught speeding -he's a Judas etc etc etc etc etc tosh as and when they feel like it and starting another of these pointless topics.

It really is pathetic.

Mak.

what about the two Thai teachers who raped 2 young scool girls last year,will they be looking at their own teachers... also i know a teacher who works in a large thai high school in bangkok who has false bsc degree ,from kow sarn rd..

You will also find that on top of 2 raped there were several molested by the same teachers.

Got a vague reply to this when I posted earlier, that the out come was

in Thai news papers only.

Found that strange the BKK post never did a followup to it.

Many Thai teachers don't have BA's either.

This is just more of a witch hunt of falangs lately with visa's changes to falangs owning businesses etc etc.

Paul

Why don't they screen Thai teachers too? There are pedophiles in every country; including Thailand. It just so much easier to target Westerners who have no right to fight back.

Low salary and being hassled all the time, gee, I want to be a teacher. :o

I would hope they do. But, I think it would be much easier for Thais to recognize a Thai person that fits this profile than a farang that fits this profile.

In the interest of the students, I'd prefer to see an across-the-board screening of EVERY teacher regardless of nationality. That's fair ain't it?

Maka, I know exactly what you mean, but never fear- in the Teaching Subforum we have very strict guidelines regarding teacher-bashing. All are welcome who abide by the guidelines. As this thread is technically in the News Subforum, it is a *little* looser. However, it does appear to be time for me to clean up a bit again.

"Steven"

Clearly there is a need for an international body to provide checks and accreditation for teachers. The problems seem to affect the poorest of countries, where allocation of funds to facilitate this are non existant.

Why, I would love to know, does the UN not tackle problems like these? They have various agencies which are well funded, but never seem to actually serve a purpose. Surely this body should provide the network?

Edited by ParadiseLost