Warning !! Beware of Ripoff from the anycountry Cupid dating sites

Elkski

I joined Thai Cupid for a few months in 16'  Turned it on for a month in Dec 17'.. Took a 1 month peek in another country Cupid but all the same company I think. 

This is not a comment on the dating  site aspect.

This is a billing issue.   I used paypal and as you know it automatically sets up a monthly membership that you have to opt out of which i did that same day.   Several weeks after my  membership had expired and I had not been auto billed I just went to the site to look around.  you can see profiles and see  who liked you and your inbox  but as a free member you cant read the emails.  That was fine. 

in a few minutes up pops a popup box hogging the screen.    IT said something like we have all your billing records so just press one easy button to renew your membership.   I tried my best to get around this popup box and thought I did.. No way did I ever select an ok or yes box... No way did I need to reenter my paypal password!  next thing you know I get a billing email saying thanks for renewing.    I filed a complaint with paypal...  I sent an email to xx.cupid and they  said they would refund my money as soon as I cancelled my dispute. We are only talking about 34.99$ here but it was the fact that they forced this on me and the fact that they kept my paypal password.   I since changed my password and suggest you all do after you sign up for the  cupid dating site if you ever risk it. I never did bother to cancel my paypal dispute and yesterday got an email from paypal and they denied my Dispute.   I can not figure out how to send any appeal to  paypal dispute resolution center because it is by transaction.. only.. There is no general email address or place to send inquiries with a certain case number.  How can paypal be ok with a vendor keeping your password info and then using a popup trick like this?   In order to investigate properly Paypal would have to duplicate my membership and see the popup trick themselves.    I call this fraud!!   if anyone gets this popup please take a screen shot before anything else and I should shut off that browser window or you may be charged again. 

Edited by Elkski

I did pay the 35$.  I just wanted PayPal to refund me but more importantly be notified that this xxx.cupid company uses this popup method to trick people.  By popup I mean a screen that had a button to pay but no way to close it or move it.  I think i tried a  back browser and I never hit the buy button .   Normally when you use PayPal a vendor always takes you to PayPal to enter your password on PayPal's secure site.   But evidently they keep your PayPal password on file.

I posted here so others will be careful.   I thought PayPal was better option than credit card because you can change your password.  like I have done now.   So don't just turn off auto renewal and think your done. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They do not have your password "on file". What they have/had is an authorization to take payments from your PayPal account. Changing your password will not affect this in any way.
What should be done in this situation is to log in to the PayPal account concerned and remove the authorization for the particular mechant concerned when you cancel.
This may not help in the confusing popup situation you saw though.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

I did remove them on PayPal as a merchant at same time I changed my password.  This is the proper advice for someone to do to stop autopay which all these dating sites use. 

Yes, it's this Pop up method of signing up someone against their will that PayPal should have been concerned with.    But how could PayPal duplicate this crime?

Lesson learned - dont give any site/business your credit card or paypal details in Thailand (or not in US/UK/Aust). 

And even when in the west be very very carefull, as if you pay to join anywhere, some of them will rebill you again (and again if they can) - even if you cancel. Most people dont check their account history closely, and even fewer take the trouble to demand their money back when they do cancel.

Trust no one and verify everyone.

Thaicupid or oarend company always sets up as a person month billing.  But I shut that off the day I paid for one month.   I even double checked that it was off auto renewal.   

I'm sure this has happened to others.   I have spent much more  than 35$ in time posting here, PayPal, and conversing with xxxcupid .     I'm sure many just swallow the 35$.  

17 hours ago, Elkski said:

I did remove them on PayPal as a merchant at same time I changed my password.  This is the proper advice for someone to do to stop autopay which all these dating sites use. 

Yes, it's this Pop up method of signing up someone against their will that PayPal should have been concerned with.    But how could PayPal duplicate this crime?

It isn't PayPal's job to duplicate this incident.

• Like 1

Thai visa is an Australian registration from what I see.   I used PayPal rather than credit card.    I would think PayPal would be concerned about news that a vendor uses false popups to say they had approval to make a charge.    I rather use a pay dating site so you can do searches based on many things.  And I prefer to talk awhile before giving out line ID.  How can you guys miss the point so much?