Police arrest 8, seize over 2,000 fake goods in Bangkok raid

webfact

Police arrest 8, seize over 2,000 fake goods in Bangkok raid

By The Nation

b41820b1d6e857be5860ac573606ff7d-sld.jpe

Police searched Bangkok’s Sampheng area and arrested six Thais and two foreigners for selling goods in violation of copyright, and seized over 2,000 counterfeit products on Wednesday night.

Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal, deputy tourist police chief, held a press conference at 2.30am in front of the Grand China Hotel on Yaowarat Road.

Surachet said police searched 10 spots in Sampheng, made the arrests and seized products including mobile speakers, handbags and hats.

He sales of the fake items caused damages estimated at over Bt5million.

Representatives of Balenciaga and Gucci brands were present at the raids. Surachet said a knock-off of a Balenciaga bag was selling at Sampheng for Bt75, whereas a genuine bag normally sells for Bt5,000.

Surachet said the operation was an example of the cooperation between Thailand and the US to crack down on violations of copyrights and intellectual property.

The crackdown occurred after the vendors openly advertised their fake goods on social networks.

Surachet said police had earlier cracked down on fake goods in Pattaya.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352768

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-23

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

sales of the fake items caused damages estimated at over Bt5million.

Representatives of Balenciaga and Gucci brands were present at the raids. Surachet said a knock-off of a Balenciaga bag was selling at Sampheng for Bt75, whereas a genuine bag normally sells for Bt5,000.

Caused 5 million baht damages. B.S I say. People who buy fake bags for 75 baht, would never buy a genuine bag for 5000 baht. So Gucci&co will not lose 1 baht.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Caused 5 million baht damages. B.S I say. People who buy fake bags for 75 baht, would never buy a genuine bag for 5000 baht. So Gucci&co will not lose 1 baht.

true enough but remember a year or 2 ago they had the story of a thai woman living in the US. she was buying the real deal LV and the likes and keeping the real ones and taking fakes back for refunds. she was getting away with it for ages i think. what happened to the fakes she took back? perhaps sold on as the real deal by the shops 555

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Its not that they lose sales this way.. but fakes also make a brand less exclusive. They lose sales that way. People buy brands like this to show off, that does not work if everyone has copies that look good. Then there is not much to show off. I get why they dislike others making money over their back.

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not that they lose sales this way.. but fakes also make a brand less exclusive. They lose sales that way. People buy brands like this to show off, that does not work if everyone has copies that look good. Then there is not much to show off. I get why they dislike others making money over their back.

Yes, that's why Thais like to take selfies with the price tag. ?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

held a press conference at 2.30am in front of the Grand China Hotel on Yaowarat Road.

What is it with police holding press conferences in the middle of the night? Big Joke does it too.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He sales of the fake items caused damages estimated at over Bt5million.

No they didn't, because no-one who buys the fake goods would buy the real thing. So the losses were zero.

Archived