Kamala beachfront business, workers’ camps warned over illegal wastewater dumping

webfact

Kamala beachfront business, workers’ camps warned over illegal wastewater dumping

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1535089018_1-org.jpg

The black, fetid canal before the sand was excavated to allow it to empty onto Kamla Beach last week. Photo: Kamala OrBorTor

PHUKET: One beachfront business and two worker’s camps have been issued formal warnings over illegally releasing untreated wastewater into a canal in Kamala, officials confirmed today (Aug 24).

The issue came to a head last week when the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) received an onslaught of complaints about the canal, which empties into the sea at the northern end of Kamala Beach, turning black and reeking of the foul stench of sewage.

The complaints, filed through the Pineapple Eyes community network Line Group, spurred the Kamala OrBorTor and the Kathu District Office to have a backhoe excavate a channel last Friday (Aug 17) so that the fetid water could flow across the sand and into the beach water.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-beachfront-business-workers-camps-warned-over-illegal-wastewater-dumping-68364.php#rXVbs1JqRihTMqRP.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-24

Well, at least the OrBorTor is doing something, but it's not enough.

When will Phuket start to take the treatment of sewage and waste water seriously? I used to love swimming in the sea in Phuket, but now at many beaches the water is discoloured and makes your skin itch like crazy if you go for a dip.

This was yesterday- I have video as well but don't think I can post it (Edit: turns out i can).  The picture doesn't do justice to what was happening with water being pumped into the khlong. I know this is just a small pipe but it emphasises the contempt they have. Security guard wasn't happy with me filming but I wasn't on private property so not a lot he could do.

IMG_20180823_170002 (Small).jpg

"Sunday Pool Party Buffet 1490 ++ , Swim in your own turds , absolutely FREE !"

Its an absolute disgrace that this 'Club' , and the construction Company building multi-million baht apartments opposite , havent VOLUNTARILY set up sewerage treatment.

I was on the north end of that beach today , and there was no smell of a salty sea.

Instead , it was a smell of soap suds and 'kee' !

I cant believe this is happening...

14 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

"Sunday Pool Party Buffet 1490 ++ , Swim in your own turds , absolutely FREE !"

Its an absolute disgrace that this 'Club' , and the construction Company building multi-million baht apartments opposite , havent VOLUNTARILY set up sewerage treatment.

I was on the north end of that beach today , and there was no smell of a salty sea.

Instead , it was a smell of soap suds and 'kee' !

I cant believe this is happening...

Most locals don't bother with the place. It seems to attract eurotrash types and high end girls from Patong who get big discounts to take punters there.  They said at the time construction started that the casuarina grove would not be damaged- only dead and dangerous trees would be removed. Strangely all the tree conveniently died. 

This end of the beach is now an eyesore and building a massive complex on a dangerous bend with limited access will keep the ambulances busy. The flag men with whistles are dicing with death every day at the moment- it's chaos up there at peak times.

Archived