Yellow Book Amphur Hang Dong

Thailand

I have a yellow book, and got it for one reason, I thought it would make me feel more secure here....I must have been dillusional as its had no use or benefit whatsoever.

You do need to have a long term visa though such as married or retired, none of this 30 day or 6 month tourist will do.

At my meeting, I said nothing, I didn't even get asked any questions, it was pathetic really.

You also need a sponsor in the shape of your village head man to go to the amphur and vouch that you have been an absolute credit to the village and offer by return to him a nice bottle of plonk and a pineapple. I kid you not.

I understand in reality it has one benefit, and that's to save you 500bt for not having to get the residence certifs from Immigration, which it does as the yellow book is free.(as far as I remember)

Mine actually has been useful for deliveries, writing your address and drawing a map to your house is over and above most heads here so I just present the yellow book.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered really.

We already have  had a yellow for some years which we have used as proof of address at immigration when applying for extensions of stay,Also for applying renewing driving license etc.

We did not have to cross any palms to get it, it was free.

However, that was some time ago and If anyone could answer the questions in the first post it may be useful for our friends.

Thanks

3 hours ago, davehowden said:

AND you get your Pink ID card which nobody recognizes!

For me, the Thai (pink) ID card has benefited me in numerous ways and times.  Everyone I have dealt with has accepted it without comment.  

For those that do not have one, keep in mind it is wallet sized, credit card sized so easy to carry.   So simple examples of when it has been useful is when someone wanted to see my passport to register a SIM card or withdraw money from my bank, I just used that Thai ID card.  

I've found the pink card handy when filling out forms to get something like a retail membership card or the like, especially if there is some type of residence requirement. Usually they start asking questions and then I hand over the pink card and no more questions. In general when filling out forms this is a handy way to give them your address in Thai so that your address gets entered correctly.

Hi,we live in mae rim,two attempts so far no luck.paperwork was 1st page passport translated.resident cert.? Passport photos,letter from minister of foreign affairs. We failed because our thai translater did,nt tell us we needed two thai mae rim residents with their I'd cards,we might try one more time and not worry.yellow book for foreigners blue book thai.

Regards rick.

• 1 month later...

Hang Dong isnt foreigner friendly/helpful. They request a lot of double paperwork. The Residence certificate in itself is something which involves immigration doing the same checks as the amphur... so what's the point of that? Anyway, translation of passport, but marriage cert will do too if shown/told. 3 x 1" photo, head man as witness..., tambien baan, title deed, and what else they make up/mix up. Even if by Thai law they are enforced to register you. Weird they make it then so difficult. The RC is a pain in the ass too and a money maker for the desk workers at immigration. Also be aware that the immigration office has moved back to the Airport area. What a fun it is.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:20 AM, davehowden said:

AND you get your Pink ID card which nobody recognizes!

Not exactly true.I have used the Pink ID for checking in at least 3 resorts within the province .I dont like anyone taking my passport into the back room to photocopy.

Not paranoid but Identity theft is always possible.

I used the pink card at the Hot Springs in Fang, a National Park, which got me entry for 50 baht Thai price  instead of 500 baht. for foreigners.

Seeing as the pink card cost me 60 baht at Hang Dong Amphur office I'm already way ahead ,more savings to come hopefully !

Its true most Thais have never seen one,dont really understnd why I have it, but doesnt stop them accepting it ,just my experience.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, Thailand said:

Basically all replies off topic.

So nobody has got a yellow book from A Hangdong recently?

Sorry my acquisition was 4 years ago and all the staff who handled the "transaction" have moved on.

Only a visit there now will probably be relevant knowing how the ground rules change.

Archived