One tourist dead, two safe after being pulled from Phuket surf

rooster59

One tourist dead, two safe after being pulled from Phuket surf 

By Eakkapop Thongtub

image.jpg

A large group of tourists crowded round as the three tourists were brought to shore. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Once tourist has died after being pulled from dangerous surf at Kata Beach yesterday while red flags were flying at the beach.

Two other tourists pulled from the surf at the same time are said to be in safe conditions.

At 5pm yesterday (Aug 24), Capt Suwisit Kirirak of the Karon Police was advised that three tourists had been hospitalised after being pulled from the sea at Kata Beach.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/one-tourist-dead-two-safe-after-being-pulled-from-phuket-surf-68378.php#wudDBuuCKgHtJloe.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-25

15 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I don't get why people leave their brains back home when they travel.

'............................ but, but , but I'm on holiday' so common sense goes out the window. kamala beach Thursday- red flags flying and no lifeguards. 

IMG_20180823_164841 (Small).jpg

IMG_20180823_164850 (Small).jpg

1 hour ago, missoura said:
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

died after being pulled from dangerous surf at Kata Beach yesterday while red flags were flying at the beach.

Forest Gump said it best. Stupid is as stupid does.

In so many places, the red flags are there simply to deny any responsibility for the safety of swimmers.  Or to keep the riff raff off the beach in front of our hotel.   If you drown under a red flag, not our fault.  They often have nothing to do with conditions.  So when the flags are actually marking dangerous conditions, they're ineffective.  

It's like the boy who cried wolf....  After spending a wad of cash to get to a beach and knowing that the red flags often don't mean anything, I can see where a perfectly reasonable person would join the others swimming.  Especially since people swim in much bigger surf all over the world.  Unless they have someone there to warn people "we really mean it today", more tourists will drown.

Kind of like I get up and use the head when the typical Asian pilot leaves the seat belt sign on for an entire 6+ hour flight.  If I get injured by turbulence, they can claim it was my fault for using the head while the seatbelt sign was on.  But they never turn it off.

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I don't get why people leave their brains back home when they travel.

Many expats did it years ago, no difference Expat / tourist,  brains left in left luggage at their departure Airport. 

The notion of flags is good, unfortunately many people dont understand the meaning of the flag colours. 

And when someone unfamiliar with swimming off of a beach walks into the surf and gets dragged into a rip they panic and try to swim against it.

A lot of people still drown in Australia too even though the lifesaving and educational tools are well established. But the tragedies occur in mainly non patrolled stretches of beach.

No easy fix.

The notion of flags is good, unfortunately many people dont understand the meaning of the flag colours. 

And when someone unfamiliar with swimming off of a beach walks into the surf and gets dragged into a rip they panic and try to swim against it.

A lot of people still drown in Australia too even though the lifesaving and educational tools are well established. But the tragedies occur in mainly non patrolled stretches of beach.

No easy fix.

Wife was down at Kata south end about 17.00 yesterday. She witnessed 2 being dragged out. An Arab looking man was breathing, A Chinese looking man not so good, oxygen mask being applied. Meantime many tourists frolicking in waves and can see a large police ambulance presence. Nuts ...

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

'............................ but, but , but I'm on holiday' so common sense goes out the window. kamala beach Thursday- red flags flying and no lifeguards. 

IMG_20180823_164841 (Small).jpg

IMG_20180823_164850 (Small).jpg

Two photos that show red flags are over-used. I'd be floating around on my back relaxing in that sea.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

In so many places, the red flags are there simply to deny any responsibility for the safety of swimmers.  Or to keep the riff raff off the beach in front of our hotel.   If you drown under a red flag, not our fault.  They often have nothing to do with conditions.  So when the flags are actually marking dangerous conditions, they're ineffective.  

It's like the boy who cried wolf....  After spending a wad of cash to get to a beach and knowing that the red flags often don't mean anything, I can see where a perfectly reasonable person would join the others swimming.  Especially since people swim in much bigger surf all over the world.  Unless they have someone there to warn people "we really mean it today", more tourists will drown.

Kind of like I get up and use the head when the typical Asian pilot leaves the seat belt sign on for an entire 6+ hour flight.  If I get injured by turbulence, they can claim it was my fault for using the head while the seatbelt sign was on.  But they never turn it off.

A flight attendant told me I couldn't get out of my seat as the "fasten seatbelt" was on. I asked her to bring me an empty 1 litre bottle. Instead she called the flight deck and they turned off the light.

Condolences to the deceased but seriously all 3 victims could have suffered from colour blindness and were not able to see the red flags. To get my Thai driving licence I had to undergo a colour blindness test so that I was able to see red/amber/green traffic lights - I passed with "flying colours"

Archived