Anyone have recommendations for an alternative company to run to Vientianne besides Mesuk?

I'll be going to Vientianne for a border run on Sunday, and after using Mesuk a couple times now, I'd really like to try a different company this time. Not to disparage Mesuk, because they're a fine company and they're adequate to get the job done, but the experience with them definitely feels like it's more suited for Filipinos.

On my last border run I noticed that there were a few other sets of groups with different lanyards around their necks, and I regret not asking what company they were with. Hoping someone here might be able to recommend someone.

I'd also prefer to avoid TVS, as I've already had the unpleasant experience of showing up to their meet point only to be told they're not going to do the run. 

23 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

"I'd also prefer to avoid TVS, as I've already had the unpleasant experience of showing up to their meet point only to be told they're not going to do the run"

he does his runs and has a good rep. perhaps you got there late. 

TVS did the same thing to me. I got there early, rang them repeatedly, and was eventually told that they wouldn't be coming. Given the danger involved in using the buses, I will never use any of these services again.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-where-is-the-justice-for-visa-run-deaths-60451.php

Edited by nkg
link

Book a flight to Udon Thani yourself. At the airport, you can buy a bus ticket to the border for 200-300 Baht.

There are numerous trip reports on thaivisa that can help you with the details of the trip - here is one of them:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003752-vientiane-visa-run-2017-sept/

Edited by nkg
link

12 minutes ago, nkg said:

TVS did the same thing to me. I got there early, rang them repeatedly, and was eventually told that they wouldn't be coming. Given the danger involved in using the buses, I will never use any of these services again.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-where-is-the-justice-for-visa-run-deaths-60451.php

sorry to hear that. i always recommend them to people and all have been fine. suppose they can't be 100% perfect. i imagine he lost alot of business when they brought in the 2 land border crossing rule.

yeah you're right about the buses, best avoided if possible

8 minutes ago, nkg said:

Book a flight to Udon Thani yourself. At the airport, you can buy a bus ticket to the border for 200-300 Baht.

There are numerous trip reports on thaivisa that can help you with the details of the trip - here is one of them:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003752-vientiane-visa-run-2017-sept/

I can't believe anyone still uses these visa run vans when it's quicker and cheaper to fly to Udon and do it yourself. 

In addition to flying, which can work if the times fit, I would prefer an overnight VIP Bus (3 seats across) to any mini-bus - simply due to the additional legroom and seat-width.  When I've done this from Bangkok, I slept most of the journey.  Best to get one with power - USB or 220V - so that you arrive with a full charge on your devices, ready for waiting in lines or whatever comes next.

30 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In addition to flying, which can work if the times fit, I would prefer an overnight VIP Bus (3 seats across) to any mini-bus - simply due to the additional legroom and seat-width.  When I've done this from Bangkok, I slept most of the journey.  Best to get one with power - USB or 220V - so that you arrive with a full charge on your devices, ready for waiting in lines or whatever comes next.

If you want an overnight journey the sleeper train would be even better although there's a risk it'll be late and you won't get to the consulate in time.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

If you want an overnight journey the sleeper train would be even better although there's a risk it'll be late and you won't get to the consulate in time.

Yes - I had to spend an extra-day in Vientiane because of it running late, once.  I haven't done the train in awhile, but a couple years ago, about 1/2 of that trip was on rough-tracks.  Also, only some cars had electric (2nd class sleepers), so the ability to charge things was hit-and-miss.  Now that alcoholic drinks are forbidden on trains, it's not the fun atmosphere that it once was - but still might get a chance to meet some interesting people from all over the world. 

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Flying to Udon when going to Vientiane, and returning by train (sleeper, fan OK most of the year, get the lower berth for more headroom) is worth considering. I really like using the train, because I sleep better than on the VIP buses. However, it is late too often to risk using it going to Vientiane for a visa application.

Edited by BritTim

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Flying to Udon when going to Vientiane, and returning by train (sleeper, fan OK most of the year, get the lower berth for more headroom) is worth considering. I really like using the train, because I sleep better than on the VIP buses. However, it is late too often to risk using it going to Vientiane for a visa application.

I can't really see the point though. Last time I did it I went straight from the consulate to the bus station and got to udon airport in plenty of time for the flight home.