Pheu Thai will ban military conscription if voted in

webfact

Pheu Thai will ban military conscription if voted in

By THE NATION

f96976f0ede93dc32d7b5549be16bf31.jpeg

PARTY ALSO PLANS TO SELL SUBMARINES AND BUILD HOSPITALS FROM THE PROCEEDS

THE Pheu Thai Party will abolish compulsory military conscription if it returns to power after the next election, a party source said yesterday.

The former ruling party also aims to sell the Navy’s submarines and use the money to fund the construction of hospitals, the source added. 

The party came up with the ideas after many of its members met former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra overseas. 

Thaksin, referred to as “Big Boss”, is widely viewed as Pheu Thai’s patriarch even though he holds no executive position in the party. 

The former PM has lived overseas in self-imposed exile after fleeing the country in 2008, shortly before the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced him to two years in jail for abuse of power while in office.

Abolishing military draft and selling submarines to fund new hospitals would be part of Pheu Thai’s key policy platforms for the next election, expected to be held next February, the source said.

The source added that since the country is not at war, there should be no need for drafting many people to the military.

Compulsory conscription should be replaced by voluntary military service, the source added. 

Pheu Thai also believes the country needs hospitals more than submarines, the source added. 

After the 2014 military-led coup, the junta approved the purchase of three submarines worth Bt13.5 billion from China. 

While meeting party members overseas recently, Thaksin reportedly expressed confidence that his party would gain a majority in the House of Representatives, winning as many as 260 of the 500 seats up for grabs, the source said. 

Thaksin was apparently citing the results of recent public opinion surveys that put Pheu Thai ahead of other parties.

Thaksin has also reportedly said that delaying the election any further would worsen the situation for the junta and work in favour of Pheu Thai, the source said. 

“It will be easy for Pheu Thai to get votes. Today, people at the grassroots level are suffering from economic problems,” the source pointed out.

Thaksin has also reportedly suggested that the party’s former MPs visit their electorates frequently to hear the problems of local residents, so party policy platforms can be planned accordingly. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30353086

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-28

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one catchy slogan that might stir things up. 

Better yet, why not thoroughly downsize the military influence from everything and eliminate the numerous high ranking oligarchical thugs.

Just a thought. 

That's it. No chance for Pheua Thai now. Once they come out with this kind of policy (which is actually a sensible plan, in and of itself, in my view ), the militaristic Powers That Be will become apoplectic and pull every trick in the book to block Pheua Thai's inevitable march to victory (in a free and fair election - which will never happen here under the junta).

Oh dear. The Pheua Thai have just put a tight noose around their own neck ...

It could be that the Pheua Thai recognise that there is no way they will be allowed to win this fake election anyway - so they have nothing to lose and might as well come out with a policy that will attract voters over the long-term (even if under present junta rule, Pheua Thai don't stand a chance).

Pheua Thai are committing political suicide at the present time - but only because they knew they were going to be murdered by the junta in any case (politically speaking). And of course such murder (as of Thanathorn's FFP) will be a display of the grossest injustice.

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

It could be that the Pheua Thai recognise that there is no way they will be allowed to win this fake election anyway - so they have nothing to lose and might as well come out with a policy that will attract voters over the long-term (even if under present junta rule, Pheua Thai don't stand a chance).

Pheua Thai are committing political suicide at the present time - but only because they knew they were going to be murdered by the junta in any case (politically speaking). And of course such murder (as of Thanathorn's FFP) will be a display of the grossest injustice.

Nonetheless, it all makes for great Thai theatre. 

So they want to discredit the election and try to cause an uprising? Is that what you're implying?

11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

So they want to discredit the election and try to cause an uprising? Is that what you're implying?

A full scale peasant rebellion? 

Frankly, I believe the peasants are quite comfortable with their lives....

6 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Interesting point, Wisonandson. I had not actually meant that. But you may be right. Very interesting speculation. It could be that Pheua Thai are coming out with a policy that they  know will resonate with many, many ordinary Thais and thus hope that its blockage by the junta will trigger mass demonstrations. Could be.

I don't see it happening, though. You can more easily shift earth from its axis first before you get the Thais to stand up in real numbers (I mean a million or more) against the junta. The fight has largely gone out of them (understandably, some will say, in view of the military's penchant for turning their guns on the Thai people themselves ...).

Great move. And the idea was touted by Wataa Muangsook months ago so it's typical Nation reporting to attribute it to Thakssin. This defines PT as the actively anti-military party and one that no longer s a spirit  of compromise with the army. They have nailed their colours to the mast and if they lose or when they are banned it will be a platform to build on.

1 minute ago, tomta said:

Great move. And the idea was touted by Wataa Muangsook months ago so it's typical Nation reporting to attribute it to Thakssin. This defines PT as the actively anti-military party and one that no longer s a spirit  of compromise with the army. They have nailed their colours to the mast and if they lose or when they are banned it will be a platform to build on.

Yes, that is what I think Pheau Thai are doing. They are building for the long-term, distant future. They recognise that there is no way in God's fair creation that they could ever be allowed to win under the present regime. But long-term ...

Conscription is a waste of money and the lives of young men.   The PTP are right, but the junta will lash out in their predictable fashion with threats.   The PTP is probably banking on the Thai people getting tired of threats from the military.  PTP has been given the high road.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Now this is war; war on Pheua Thai now that is. I bet both the P’s ears have steam blowing out of them right now. The submarine idea is good, but who is going to buy them? Ghana?

Laos, in case of another dam disaster 

This is exactly what the NAP was designed for. Not only is this "causing panic" (amongst the NCPO) but I'm sure will fall into the category of undermining national security. Surely a cause for sedition charges or even worse. I see trouble ahead.

12 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

This is exactly what the NAP was designed for. Not only is this "causing panic" (amongst the NCPO) but I'm sure will fall into the category of undermining national security. Surely a cause for sedition charges or even worse. I see trouble ahead.

The Labour Party under Michael Foot were once accused of writing 'the longest suicide note in history'.

The new announcement from Pheua Thai could be described as 'the shortest suicide note in history'.

But Pheua Thai must be aware of this - and are going for broke. Long-term strategy, I think.

44 minutes ago, Darcula said:

They are going to need those hospitals for the eventual shooting victims.

Well based on the Juntas current memberships' activities during 2010 they may need to build a lot more hospitals first.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

THE Pheu Thai Party will abolish compulsory military conscription if it returns to power after the next election, a party source said yesterday.

I would vote for it if I was Thai, as an expat I will miss the television news depicting the lady boys attending the draft in all their finest attire.

1 hour ago, tomta said:

Indeed a smart move.

If you haven't followed Thai politics for long you might think they are battling other political parties, new and old, but the actual battle is against the army.

As long as the army stays all powerful there is little you can do long term. By putting the military draft on the table the neutering of the army becomes part of the discussion.

Soon every political party will be asked how they see the military draft, what they want to do with it, and why they might think it should stay. The political parties will follow the general opinion of their constituents and I am very sure that, over time, more and more people will be against the draft. At some point the draft will be up for serious debate, and probably be stopped. That will be the day the military is neutered, as they have thousands of general but barely and soldiers by then. 

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

That's it. No chance for Pheua Thai now. Once they come out with this kind of policy (which is actually a sensible plan, in and of itself, in my view ), the militaristic Powers That Be will become apoplectic and pull every trick in the book to block Pheua Thai's inevitable march to victory (in a free and fair election - which will never happen here under the junta).

Oh dear. The Pheua Thai have just put a tight noose around their own neck ...

IMHO it's just another paymaster plan to create buy budgets troughs for the pt yes sir slaves to get their sticky fingers into.

The submarines are needed for the new monorail and what I want to know is when will the guns be taken away from the army and they be issued with road repairing equipment so they can serve the people.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Interesting point, Wisonandson. I had not actually meant that. But you may be right. Very interesting speculation. It could be that Pheua Thai are coming out with a policy that they  know will resonate with many, many ordinary Thais and thus hope that its blockage by the junta will trigger mass demonstrations. Could be.

I don't see it happening, though. You can more easily shift earth from its axis first before you get the Thais to stand up in real numbers (I mean a million or more) against the junta. The fight has largely gone out of them (understandably, some will say, in view of the military's penchant for turning their guns on the Thai people themselves ...).

I rather suspect that they have simply put down a marker. This policy will be very very popular, especially in their geographical and demographic heartlands, where the effects of conscription and the paucity of infrastructure are both most keenly felt. Pheu Thai has linked the two and proposed alternatives. Whether the alternative is possible (the submarines are probably going to be paid for with money in turn borrowed from China) is neither here nor there. If this policy is stuck to, even through dissolution and rebirth, Pheu Thai or whatever replaces it has ensured their support base and engaged their sworn enemy. the military and their backers, in a debate which they (the military) cannot win.

Archived