Trouble At Subway Tipp Plaza

CharlesDavid

The employee is usually told not to give receipts. This is to allow the franchise owners to be creative with their books.

If the the employee has to give a receipt then a low value on will suffice. Normally at this stage, if confronted by an irrate

customer, the employee is to give a free sandwich. This is very rare.

As the OP said( or someone else) they got a copy receipt that was three hours old. So for three hours nobody got a receipt.

Creative books.

If that was the case, I would find it highly unlikely that the owner would put a sign on the wall urging people to do exactly what he doesn't want them to........ very, very, very unlikely.

You didn't read my previous post.

In it, I said contractually, the Franchisor has to put a sign up regarding wrong receipts. They don't have a choice.

This is to stop a franchise owner, tea leafing from the franchise company.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused as I personally have never kept a reciept for food at any restaurant unless I was working, but this guy is so sad he checks his receipt for a sandwich? Either he is used to being ripped off - which is sad -but in this case he wasn't. I feel sorry for his missus everytime they go shopping, it must double their journey time as he has to check off every single item on his receipt. I am sorry but I think that is Icecubes is an EX TAX INSPECTOR. Cos this is fun town, where we have fun!

The level of intellect is astounding by some members

School must have kicked out then.

There’s a big wide world out there.

One day,, when you grow up and can where long trousers.

You will discover how important paper work is. fast food chains or pay checks

It all has its place, if you choose to discard it then at your own peril, do just that.

O wise one.

Have a nice day, thats after you and your mates finish your home work.

His point was exactly the same as mine.

The OP almost got a punch in the face. For what?

He didn't get ripped off. The Thai guy was ripping off Subway.

If I somehow notice that someone is ripping off McDonald's, Subway, or any corporation for that matter, I'm not going to get punched in the face or worse to stop it from happening.

Getting called "stupid" and childish" for expressing this point of view was uncalled for, and was childish in itself.

And okay, maybe my response was not appropriate (and I got one of the warnings from the mods).

But icecubes, try engaging in a debate without insulting the person you are debating with. Try it just once.

You have to accept that people's points of view differ from yours.

Your point of view will be much more credible and listened to if it doesn't include an insult to people who have opposing points of view.

You're accusing people of being immature, catching the bus to school, but your posts are the most immature ones on this forum.

(and mods, this is not flaming, it's honest advice)

Yes it is a flame, but that’s ok, I expect it from people like yourself.

If people wish to suggest I worked as a tax inspector just because I understand

How important paper work is, then im afraid they fall straight into the bracket

Of being a child in the mind, hence the jokes about long and short trousers.

Afew more people are still in short trousers.

But your comments about me insulting people all the time is just Bs

Its just you having a go, stirring it up a bit more.

Just to remind you and all others, you can select not to see my posts

any time you like, Please fill free mister fingers.

But I know you wont, as I said you like to stir it up .

As for all the people on this thread who think its ok.

1) For staff to threaten a customer.

2) To steal from there employer.

I cant believe you are real people.

It only goes to show how you were brought up, did your parents ever teach you the difference between right and wrong. Mine did. and its wrong.

But all in all I think most of the people in disagreement over this basic issue are just stirring stuff up. as usual.

Could be a holiday for this, but people like you just knob me off.

Have a nice day. :o

The employee is usually told not to give receipts. This is to allow the franchise owners to be creative with their books.

If the the employee has to give a receipt then a low value on will suffice. Normally at this stage, if confronted by an irrate

As the OP said( or someone else) they got a copy receipt that was three hours old. So for three hours nobody got a receipt.

Creative books.

If that was the case, I would find it highly unlikely that the owner would put a sign on the wall urging people to do exactly what he doesn't want them to........ very, very, very unlikely.

In it, I said contractually, the Franchisor has to put a sign up regarding wrong receipts. They don't have a choice.

Yes I did..... I read everything.

Just explain to me exactly how the individual shop owner can 'tea-leaf' from the franchise..... ?

Creative books.

Yes I did..... I read everything.

Just explain to me exactly how the individual shop owner can 'tea-leaf' from the franchise..... ?

...I charge for information like that.

Sunbelt - there already is Subway in Phuket, well Patong. :o

Yes. In fact three Subways are in Phuket. I can't be giving away free subs to stores we don't own. :D

We in fact were the first to purchase a franchise for Phuket but its still not open! As they say" Stuff happens"

The delay was because of the tsunami and all the delays building the Jungceylon Complex. We are in Zone 2, overlooking the Circus show. ( This zone has not open yet but our restaurants are up, ready to go) We are opening two other restaurant franchises there as well... Squeeze and Spicchio Pizza. All will be under one roof.

So if the OP is In Phuket when our store is open, he and a friend can watch the show while eating a free Sub.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=5411

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

good on you for trying to bust the worker at the shop. However, even if you make it clear to the manager, it won't necessarily mean the guy will get fired. Thai's learn early on that excuses work very well, and if no, there's always threats - to get what one wants.

A Thai friend caught a postman stealing a package he never rec'd. I don't know all the details, but when my friend ( a sweet demure guy) confronted the postman, the postman pleaded to not have the news get to his boss. Out of compassion, my friend acquiesced, doubtless being told that 'it will never happen again.' Of course if happened again, maybe hundreds of times by dozens of postal workers. If you let the thief slip by, do you think he'll miraculously clean up his act? Nope, it just don't happen dat way.

In closing, I'd like to say 'tough luck' to you struggling guys who choose to reside in Pattaya. Sure the bevy of cuties is a great lure, but is it worth living in a city with masses of katoy and otherwise surly natives? When you're ready for a change, and want to experience the sweetness of Thai people who appreciate farang for more than the bulge in their wallets (and the dent they can make in it), - check out areas of S.E. Asia which are off the tourist track.

In closing, I'd like to say 'tough luck' to you struggling guys who choose to reside in Pattaya. Sure the bevy of cuties is a great lure, but is it worth living in a city with masses of katoy and otherwise surly natives? When you're ready for a change, and want to experience the sweetness of Thai people who appreciate farang for more than the bulge in their wallets (and the dent they can make in it), - check out areas of S.E. Asia which are off the tourist track.

Thank you for you sympathy 'brahmsburgers' for us; "struggling guys who choose to reside in Pattaya".

Your above statement of hopeless pride, dreadful arrogance and futile conceit suggests a less than tolerant personality.

What is your problem with "the masses of kathoeys"? Do I detect a secret repressed fear of intimacy with the said individuals?

I contemplate with despair, the views you hold, and your continued risible, aloof and conceited postings on this forum.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a subway sandwich from Tipp Plaza....

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are a proud majority shareholder of six other Subway locations, but do not own the franchise at Tipp Plaza in Pattaya. I do know the two Franchise owners of this location and am forwarding this thread to them and the Development Director for Thailand.

On behalf, of all Subways Worldwide we sincerely apologize for this incident.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, aren't you the Subway master franchisee for Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam as well?

Subway does not require you to put up a sign; we in fact don't do it.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This seems to be more widespread than you guys are aware. I had read this before and tonight at about 6.30pm I was in the Subway between Landmark and Nana and got no receipt. A sign said no receipt = 100 baht cash. I asked and was told the till is broken, come back in an hour for your receipt and no you cant have a 100 baht!!!!!!!!

Great customer service - I wont be returning.

The sandwich itself was so so but the service sucked. I assume you penalise the staff the 100 baht if they dont give the receipt hence the crux of the issue when they get caught out. Sounds to me like you guys have a big control issue here. No manager around and nobody willing to take any resbonsibility.

Subway does not require you to put up a sign; we in fact don't do it.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This seems to be more widespread than you guys are aware. I had read this before and tonight at about 6.30pm I was in the Subway between Landmark and Nana and got no receipt. A sign said no receipt = 100 baht cash. I asked and was told the till is broken, come back in an hour for your receipt and no you cant have a 100 baht!!!!!!!!

Great customer service - I wont be returning.

The sandwich itself was so so but the service sucked. I assume you penalise the staff the 100 baht if they dont give the receipt hence the crux of the issue when they get caught out. Sounds to me like you guys have a big control issue here. No manager around and nobody willing to take any resbonsibility.

Maybe the till really was broken?

Could happen.

I'm coming down that way on the weekend. I'll make a special trip to Subway (not much of a sacrifice, I ADORE sandwiches and would eat them for every meal) and report back on my findings assuming this thread is still open.

To the OP, IMHO you did the correct thing, good man.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a subway sandwich from Tipp Plaza. The next day when I was going through my pocket I found that the receipt I had been given was for a 15 baht water rather than the 199 baht sandwich I ordered - an obvious staff fiddle.

This evening I went back and ordere another sandwich. I noticed a sign saying check your receipt if incorrect free 6 inch sub of your choice.

On receiving my sandwich initially the guy serving didn't hand over the receipt. I asked for it and in view of what happened the previous time I checked my receipt and surprise surprise it was for 15 baht water. I pointed this out to him and he immediately rang in another sale on the till for the correct 199 baht price.

I ponted out that the initial receipt was wrong and asked for my free 6 inch sub. This he refused to give me.

I went back to my motorcycle took out a pen and paper from the box and went back in the shop and wrote down the number to call if there are any problems.

When I was getting back on the bike the guy serving came racing out the shop and actually tried to punch me. I ducked put my bike in gear and left.

Is this typical of Subway?

I realize that Subway are one of the sponsers for this board. If anyone in a management position at Subway would like to pm me I will happily meet with them to discuss this mattyer in more detail.

I cannot believe this guy's behaviour.

Dear Sir,

Hello and thank you for the information concerning Subway Tipp Plaza. I am currently reviewing CCTV video of the day of this incident and the guilty party will be terminated. The stealing is happening at many of the Subway stores and everytime we think we have it beat, they find a new way. It is because of customers like you that we have a fighting chance to catch them and get rid of them. I have your contact number and would like to meet with you personally to discuss further this incident. I appreciate your report on my shop and gaurantee that this staff member will no longer be with us.

Thank you,

Franchisee Subway Pattaya Beach Tipp Plaza.

I'm coming down that way on the weekend. I'll make a special trip to Subway (not much of a sacrifice, I ADORE sandwiches and would eat them for every meal) and report back on my findings assuming this thread is still open.

To the OP, IMHO you did the correct thing, good man.

Dear Leisurely,

I would appreciate any feedback you have after visting my Subway. You can reply directly to me by PM.

Thanks,

Franchisee Subway Pattay Beach Tipp Plaza.

Edited by Jai Dee
Email address deleted - Forum Rules

What that employee did was wrong. I cannot believe the posters who support him and say the OP should mind his own business. However on pointing this thread out to my wife she is in full agreement that it had nothing to do with the OP and he deserved the punch or more! She insists that you should never critisize a Thai person and people who do are going to get hurt!

This attitude has caused huge arguments between us over the years. She cannot understand that saying one Thai person is bad is not saying that ALL Thai people AND the country is bad.

There is another side to this problem though. I own a business here and every day I check the item sales. If this had been going on for some time there should be thousands of bottles of water sold. If it has not been sold but billed as sold then where is it all being stored! and where has all the bread rolls gone to? This scam is far too easy to spot by anyone with any sort of business sense. What is much more likely is that it is a Tax scam. The owner is well aware that his sales are much higher than the till reports but he pays tax on the sales put through the till.

In the bar industry if the tax office feel that this sort of fiddle is going on they descend on your bar and take all your beer purchase receipts and then work out your tax from them, instead of what you say you sell. In this case when the tax office see a Subway Outlet selling nothing but water they will probably do a tax audit on the amount of bread bought! (That's presuming the business is Farang owned. If it was Thai owned they probably would do nothing!! -- Just my opinion there)

Chris

I think your drawing a bit of a long bow here.

The business owner is aware that he has some sort of problem here ,otherwise he wouldnt be offering a free sub for an incorrect receipt.

In the real world you would just fire the theiving employees, but this is thailand and management techniques are somewhat differant.

I agree with Cobber.... It is a plausible scenario but If the store owner and the employee were colluding on some kind of tax fiddle, I'm sure that the employee would be authorized by the owner to give up the free sandwich without hesitation to placate the infrequent customer who checks his receipt instead of assaulting them.

This is not a tax scam believe me. I wish it was. This is just another example of a cash business getting ripped off by the staff. Quite normal. It is not as easy to spot as you might think. Subway has many systems in place to stop theft but not ringing up a sanwich and pocketing the cash is one you can't beat unless you are there 24/7.

The staff member in question is being fired at this time.

I appreciate the feedback from all and hope that this does not happen again.

Thank you,

Franchisee Subway Pattaya Beach Tipp Plaza

There is another side to this problem though. I own a business here and every day I check the item sales. If this had been going on for some time there should be thousands of bottles of water sold. If it has not been sold but billed as sold then where is it all being stored! and where has all the bread rolls gone to? This scam is far too easy to spot by anyone with any sort of business sense. What is much more likely is that it is a Tax scam. The owner is well aware that his sales are much higher than the till reports but he pays tax on the sales put through the till.

The weekly report would show this as well, shortage on the inventory in meat and vegetables with more bottles of water sold. Subway uses a POS system. ( Unless the employee was really smart and bought water at a grocery store and replaced this) No matter what he did, he could not overcome the shortage of the bread in the 8 hour shift. He would have a shortage. Red flags would be going off on the weekly report if he is doing this in any volume.

All franchisors will check this to help the franchisee and also their interests. They want their royalties.

I think your drawing a bit of a long bow here.

The business owner is aware that he has some sort of problem here ,otherwise he wouldnt be offering a free sub for an incorrect receipt.

In the real world you would just fire the theiving employees, but this is thailand and management techniques are somewhat differant.

Correct. You cannot be at a store 24 hours a day but by putting up a sign, you induce customers to call if something is wrong. This owner wanted cheating to be reporting. Subway does not require you to put up a sign; we in fact don't do it.
I agree with Cobber.... It is a plausible scenario but If the store owner and the employee were colluding on some kind of tax fiddle, I'm sure that the employee would be authorized by the owner to give up the free sandwich without hesitation to placate the infrequent customer who checks his receipt instead of assaulting them.

I'm 100% sure the franchise owner was not in the store. The clerk would not of done this then.

If a cash register has been approved by the Thai government which this one was. If they observe a customer not getting a receipt, they can fine the store owner 20,000 Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

can almost guarantee that they are using fake bread to scam ... dont rule out the fact that somene would be industrious enough to actually bake counterfeit bread then implant a worker on their behalf.... i know this because i have been approached to buy counterfeit mister donuts.

If some of these Thai's would put as much effort into being industrious and working legitimately as they do scamming and cheating the country might be far better off than it is today.

As we often say, "Name one Thai Nobel Prize winner, name one advance in medicine, science or engineering achieved by a Thai, name one Thai world wide recognised company"

If some of these Thai's would put as much effort into being industrious and working legitimately as they do scamming and cheating the country might be far better off than it is today.

As we often say, "Name one Thai Nobel Prize winner, name one advance in medicine, science or engineering achieved by a Thai, name one Thai world wide recognised company"

Enough of the anti-Thai sentiment thank you.

It shows you have ordered what you asked for.

Saves arguments latter when the incorrect good are handed over

You just show them the receipt.

Its not rocket science, you know.

Okay guy, first, take a deep breath, now, I'm not sure you're going to be able to comprehend this. So read carefully, and try to concentrate. From reading some of your posts, you're thankful for things that are not rocket science or any intellectual challenge for that matter.

Having bought thousands of fast food meals, and NEVER needing a receipt, I question the necessity of requiring a receipt at a small fast food restaurant. I've had them get the order wrong a couple of times, to be sure, but never an argument. They just got it right the second time.

Now, I'm gonna slow down because this might be going too fast for you. Please read carefully. Everyone I have ever known has never made use of a receipt at a fast food restaurant.

I hope you appreciate that I'm trying to make this as easy to understand for you as possible. I understand that you can't comprehend rocket science, as you said. That's okay icecubes. It's okay. Many people don't. Having studied technology (solid state electronics to be specific) in university, I understand that there has to be many poeple like you who just can't comprehend it.

It's okay. It's okay. You can be hovering around average intelligence and still not comprehend these things. It's okay icecubes. It's okay. :o

solid state electronics whoooooooo but not street wise i suspect born with the preverbial silver spoon in gob come to africa my friend you wouldnt get down the plane steps before someone had the lamps out of your head GET A LIFE colledge boy is that the way you want to promote the good people of thailand

Not specific for Thailand. You could say exactly the same thing about spammers :o

can almost guarantee that they are using fake bread to scam ... dont rule out the fact that somene would be industrious enough to actually bake counterfeit bread then implant a worker on their behalf.... i know this because i have been approached to buy counterfeit mister donuts.

That's when piracy has gone too far....

psst.jpg

"Psst! Wanna buy a donut?"

Bought a sub from Subway on Sukhumvit near Soi 4 yesterday and the guy in front of me was creating a fuss. The sign on the cash register read, "if you do not receive a receipt we will give you 100 baht immediately". Well he didn't get a receipt and he didn't get 100 baht and his friend pulled him out of the store convincing him not to make a fuss. When it came to my turn I also asked for 100 baht since I hadn't been given a receipt and the reply came back, "computer broken, no receipt". I stood there and demanded a receipt and the girl behind the counter reluctantly convinced the broken computer to produce one - but she clearly wasn't happy about doing so. Methinks all is not well at Subway these days!