Trouble At Subway Tipp Plaza

CharlesDavid

They pay their employees a tiny fraction of the minimum wage in most western countries.

Are they so surprised that their employees, whom they barely pay enough to keep from starving, behave this way?

Actually - Subway generally pay their staff quite a bit above the Thai minimum wage.

No excuse whatsoever for ripping the boss off & hopefully the few scumbag employees that do this, get caught and severely dealt with.

Soundman.

Wow, are you ever a relief. You actually contradicted me without insulting me, claiming I condone theft, or claiming that I would do nothing if I saw somebody on fire.

(I never condoned theft by the way, just saying that I don't sympathize with the company enough to risk my life to save it from a five dollar theft)

I don't even know what Thai minimum wage is. I didn't even think there was one.

Care to enlighten me? If there is one, I bet it is way too low in comparison to cost of living in Thailand.

This is how exploitation happens.

People are given the choice:

"Work here for next to nothing" OR "Have nothing"

They simply don't have a choice.

Pattaya is a really bad place for people being exploited.

Can't even get into this too much without violating forum rules.

I personally have no use for people who exploit the poor.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I,m with you on that one !

Its disgraceful that we have to pay double for things just because we are farangs!

Edited by stevemiddie

A couple of weeks ago I bought a subway sandwich from Tipp Plaza. The next day when I was going through my pocket I found that the receipt I had been given was for a 15 baht water rather than the 199 baht sandwich I ordered - an obvious staff fiddle.

This evening I went back and ordere another sandwich. I noticed a sign saying check your receipt if incorrect free 6 inch sub of your choice.

On receiving my sandwich initially the guy serving didn't hand over the receipt. I asked for it and in view of what happened the previous time I checked my receipt and surprise surprise it was for 15 baht water. I pointed this out to him and he immediately rang in another sale on the till for the correct 199 baht price.

I ponted out that the initial receipt was wrong and asked for my free 6 inch sub. This he refused to give me.

I went back to my motorcycle took out a pen and paper from the box and went back in the shop and wrote down the number to call if there are any problems.

When I was getting back on the bike the guy serving came racing out the shop and actually tried to punch me. I ducked put my bike in gear and left.

Is this typical of Subway?

I realize that Subway are one of the sponsers for this board. If anyone in a management position at Subway would like to pm me I will happily meet with them to discuss this mattyer in more detail.

I cannot believe this guy's behaviour.

They pay their employees a tiny fraction of the minimum wage in most western countries.

Are they so surprised that their employees, whom they barely pay enough to keep from starving, behave this way?

Actually - Subway generally pay their staff quite a bit above the Thai minimum wage.

No excuse whatsoever for ripping the boss off & hopefully the few scumbag employees that do this, get caught and severely dealt with.

Soundman.

Wow, are you ever a relief. You actually contradicted me without insulting me, claiming I condone theft, or claiming that I would do nothing if I saw somebody on fire. I never condoned theft by the way, just saying that I don't sympathize with the company enough to risk my life to save it from a five dollar theft

I don't even know what Thai minimum wage is. I didn't even think there was one.

Care to enlighten me? If there is one, I bet it is way too low in comparison to cost of living in Thailand.

This is how exploitation happens.

People are given the choice:

"Work here for next to nothing" OR "Have nothing"

They simply don't have a choice.

The violent aspect of this incident didn't happen until the end of the encounter. How was the OP poster supposed to know the guy would come after him? There was a number on the wall to call if there was a problem. The customer percieved that there was a problem and copied down the number then he was attacked.

No matter how you justify it, theft is a crime. I believe if you look around you will find much worse cases of exploitation which need to be addressed. You seem to have the passion to make a difference, use it wisely.

I,m with you on that one !

Its disgraceful that we have to pay double for things just because we are farangs!

I move that we should ALL pack up and go home. Only there we can expect to pay upwards of 5 times the 'farang price' for <deleted> we use sparingly like visits to national parks and.... and... (is there anywhere else we get royally ripped off that I have missed?)

Edited by NanLaew

Sorry I am jumping ahead after reading two pages, I realize this has been sort of stated already and perhaps again after page two --

The reason for the receipts:

To prevent the clerk from SKIMMING, ie. he collects however much for the sandwich but rings it as a cup of water and pockets the difference.

What has happened since this post?

Has the OP received his free subway roll?

What happened to the staff member concerned?

What action has Subway taken?

Am I at risk of being assaulted going into the Tipp Subway store?

I would like to know.

1. I was contacted by both Sunbelt Asia and the franchise holder of the store and kindly offered vouchers/a free sub but I said it wasn't necessary they were just as much a victim as this guys criminal behaviour as myself.

2. The member of staff in question was dismissed over the incident.

3. I have returned to this store many times since and received nothing but excelent service.

4. The lunatic is long gone. Don't let this isolated incident colour your opinion of this outlet.

Mods - Can we please close this thread - It was dead and buried long ago tand we are now just going round in circles.

What has happened since this post?

Has the OP received his free subway roll?

What happened to the staff member concerned?

What action has Subway taken?

Am I at risk of being assaulted going into the Tipp Subway store?

I would like to know.

1. I was contacted by both Sunbelt Asia and the franchise holder of the store and kindly offered vouchers/a free sub but I said it wasn't necessary they were just as much a victim as this guys criminal behaviour as myself.

2. The member of staff in question was dismissed over the incident.

3. I have returned to this store many times since and received nothing but excelent service.

4. The lunatic is long gone. Don't let this isolated incident colour your opinion of this outlet.

Mods - Can we please close this thread - It was dead and buried long ago tand we are now just going round in circles.

please dont close this thread! theat would be tantamount to censorship. everyone take a chill pill and lets talk about sandwich related fraud :o

may I have the last word in that case?

....ooooooopss....wrong thread.... :o

Libya, you just beat me to starting Camp C, but I am proud to join if I qualify.

i,m just camp, where do i post a vote. :D:D

to all the happy campers out there...I open up camp D for the rather indifferent..... :o

Well. There's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

You might have thought of it as a waste of time. But in time you'll be proud to have been an early part of this pioneer of all long term threads.

In ancient days, construction projects such as the great wall of China took hundreds of years and generations to complete.

Things come full circle, as the eventual colonization of Mars will take at least as long to establish.

We will also see things such as construction projects in space that take thousands of years, with no constraints on space, no rusting, no erosion, no gravity, etc.

And this may well be the first of the thousand year threads.

Again and again it will be revived, and again and again, original posts by Misterfingers will be quoted, and again and again I will offer rebuttals to the same tired arguments against my position on this issue.

After I'm dead, those with a similar stance to mine will inevitably take over for me and argue in my favor.

Scholars will study this thread and its grassroots and wonder about the people who started this thread, and then about the ones who revived it and revived it again.

There may even be a subdued celebration in literary circles to mark the millenium anniversary of the first thousand year thread.

Humankind will marvel at its magnificence in how a simple archaic invention such as the internet allowed so many people and generations were able to have a thousand year conversation.

And the mystery will never die, the burning question, "Who was this MisterFingers guy anyway?"

You might have thought of it as a waste of time. But in time you'll be proud to have been an early part of this pioneer of all long term threads.

In ancient days, construction projects such as the great wall of China took hundreds of years and generations to complete.

Things come full circle, as the eventual colonization of Mars will take at least as long to establish.

We will also see things such as construction projects in space that take thousands of years, with no constraints on space, no rusting, no erosion, no gravity, etc.

Again and again it will be revived, and again and again, original posts by Misterfingers will be quoted, and again and again I will offer rebuttals to the same tired arguments against my position on this issue.

After I'm dead, those with a similar stance to mine will inevitably take over for me and argue in my favor.

Scholars will study this thread and its grassroots and wonder about the people who started this thread, and then about the ones who revived it and revived it again.

There may even be a subdued celebration in literary circles to mark the millenium anniversary of the first thousand year thread.

Humankind will marvel at its magnificence in how a simple archaic invention such as the internet allowed so many people and generations were able to have a thousand year conversation.

And the mystery will never die, the burning question, "Who was this MisterFingers guy anyway?"

Brilliant! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant! :o

Is Subway still a good place to enjoy a meal?

I was in this shop today.

There is no longer a sign asking patrons to check their receipts and offering free subs.

Has the owner given up trying to regulate his staff?

No,after this topic was started he probably ran out of reward money. :o