Eyes in the sky. Number plate recognition cameras are working.

dallen52

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Yes.

Regardless of the sometimes jocular responses we post on some topics, data sharing is happening at an alarming rate. 

Tax, employment,  address, registrations, licences,  immigration,  all on the central data repository..

Like you say.

You will front up to pay something and get hit with 25 other outstanding fines etc.

Yes, in the modern world you don't need sensible hard-working cops to enforce the traffic laws. You just need cameras & decent computer systems. Still a long way to go in Thailand but it's on its way. Many Thais - and quite a few Falangs - are in for a shock. "Never mind, I never pay" won't work any longer.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The owner of the vehicle gets the fine in the post.  I already transferred ownership of both our cars to my wife, little does she suspect :biggrin:

When a Benz or better car goes past the cameras will be mysteriously off for that brief moment.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AsiaHand said:

When a Benz or better car goes past the cameras will be mysteriously off for that brief moment.

True that even when speeding anywhere without caring any camera (until now), I have never received anything by post ?!

So it's not a legend ? Benz are safer ? 555+

?

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Yes.

Regardless of the sometimes jocular responses we post on some topics, data sharing is happening at an alarming rate. 

Tax, employment,  address, registrations, licences,  immigration,  all on the central data repository..

Like you say.

You will front up to pay something and get hit with 25 other outstanding fines etc.

Pay now or pay later...?

21 hours ago, Farma said:

Be careful out there. This one has been doing the rounds on Thai social media.

Showed up in the mail. His wife opened it. The passenger wasn't his wife. ?

20180830_084958.jpg

Left Hand Drive Car.......

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Antonymous said:

My car registration book (blue book) still records my address as the one (a rented house) I lived at at the time of purchasing the car. I have moved four times since then, but never updated or renewed the book. I do pay my car tax and insurance but have never been asked to prove my address.

So, if my number is recorded on a camera, who they gonna call? I'm certain that the owner/occupants at my former address have no idea how to contact me now.

Are the computer systems at the vehicle registration office linked to other offices...?

I'm genuinely interested to know what will happen in such cases.

If you don't receive the offence documents then the next time you pay your annual vehicle tax you will be required to pay all offence fines as well as the  tax.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Can she buy my car? 8 ^)

Maybe not a great idea as she is a bad payer, we put the fines out at the spirit house with some food etc but they still go unpaid.

4 minutes ago, elgenon said:

So if you rent a car the rental agency will get the fine? By that time a tourist is gone gone gone. What happens then?

Same as in any other country. They charge your card. The renter agrees to this when signing the agreement.

• Like 1

I went past the ones on Highway 317 today, took a good look. For a start any motorcycle has a free pass as the cameras are pointing at the front number plate which the bikes don't have. Secondly they are high up and would not pick up speeding tailgaters which there seems to be a lot of. Or like the pickup that zoomed pass me with no grill, mudguard or front number plate. A lot of cars have very faded number plates. And there will obviously be teething issues with who is driving, cars that have been sold etc. But it looks very much to me like the writing is on the wall. Next they will have number plate recognition linked to the computer and installed in police car so if you have a false plate they will get you. Every morning on the Centenary Highway in Brisbane Australia a police car sits checking all the number plates are valid, paid registration etc, as soon as he gets one he's off after them with blue lights and siren. 

By the way I hate all this nanny state, new age wowserism stuff, just thank my lucky stars it wasn't around when I was young and really bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I wonder will they work as well as the traffic lights on Railway road here in Pattaya .lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've grown accustomed to Whistleman doing the traffic control morning and nights.

He really loves his job.

But yes.

Non of them seem to work, all the way along there. 

Edited by dallen52

On 8/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, topt said:

Had 2 speeding fines in the post in the last 6 years or so - never showed the front view - only the rear/numberplate............

My brother in law got one not long ago on the No 7 going to the airport, that was from the front..

The cameras have been on the go quite a while just spreading more rapidly. My wife got one a couple of years ago on the south part of the No 9.

• 2 months later...

"Number plate recognition cameras are working."

Being pedantic about this, I'd like to know if the OP means "speed cameras", as opposed to specifically "number plate recognition cameras"?

From what I have been about to find out, in Thailand there doesn't yet appear to be any software that reads number plates from an image.

Rather than cross-posting, please see my entire post below about this. I still cannot find a definitive answer.

I will just quote the very last sentence in my post (not stated by me):

“A few weeks ago when they launched the cameras system fining people for incorrect lane changes, it showed the control room photos of an operator taking the details off the system and then writing the tickets..... Manually.”

edit: click on "bluesofa replied to a topic" to go directly to my post (otherwise clicking elsewhere will take you to the main article itself)

Edited by bluesofa

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Being pedantic about this, I'd like to know if the OP means "speed cameras", as opposed to specifically "number plate recognition cameras"?

I would think the OP thinks there the same thing in general as I do.

I'm not a tech camera person and the two pictures I have had through the post show my number plate in a near position and a further on positon.

The cameras high up on roads can zoom in I guess.

The lady in question in other post was probably being scammed by a company that operate the cameras in that area.

38 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

In the USA there is a dislike for CAR front plates, dont ask the legalities, different replies in each State.Cant see much point to front ones, dead bugs obliterate them by lunchtime.

Had a speed camera picture of our rear number plate taken too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Don't know about the cameras in Pattaya, but number plate recognition cameras are a real thing, and are used in the west for traject control.

On a highway they mount a battery of cameras that register your numberplate, then 10 km further down the highway there is another battery of cameras, these register your numberplate again and calculate your average speed over the 10km traject.

So if that average speed is higher than the sped limit on that 10km traject you receive a fine in your letter box

Just now, janclaes47 said:

Don't know about the cameras in Pattaya, but number plate recognition cameras are a real thing, and are used in the west for traject control.

On a highway they mount a battery of cameras that register your numberplate, then 10 km further down the highway there is another battery of cameras, these register your numberplate again and calculate your average speed over the 10km traject.

So if that average speed is higher than the sped limit on that 10km traject you receive a fine in your letter box

Again, to be pedantic, are you saying these cameras read Thai number plates from an image? (not talking about any other country)

From what I find out, in Thailand the image is manually read by an operator and then semi-automatically processed to despatch the speeding fine.