Eyes in the sky. Number plate recognition cameras are working.

dallen52

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Could you expand on that?

Do you mean Thai universities already have a system which can successfully read Thai registration number plates from a camera image?

Overhead Speed Cameras for FnR plare recognition. you must get out more. Can cover 8 lanes highways in either direction. Thats 4 each side to save you a post.

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

"Number plate recognition cameras are working."

Being pedantic about this, I'd like to know if the OP means "speed cameras", as opposed to specifically "number plate recognition cameras"?

From what I have been about to find out, in Thailand there doesn't yet appear to be any software that reads number plates from an image.

Rather than cross-posting, please see my entire post below about this. I still cannot find a definitive answer.

I will just quote the very last sentence in my post (not stated by me):

“A few weeks ago when they launched the cameras system fining people for incorrect lane changes, it showed the control room photos of an operator taking the details off the system and then writing the tickets..... Manually.”

edit: click on "bluesofa replied to a topic" to go directly to my post (otherwise clicking elsewhere will take you to the main article itself)

Assurance is that it works.

The camera heads in use can perform up to 4 functions. 

OCR number plate reading is one.

Already issuing infringement notices.

Speed detection is another. 

Already issuing speeding tickets. 

Lane change over solid lines is viewed manually. 

Red light infringements are another. 

Dont personally know if this is viable. 

Basically no one stops for red lights here.

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Assurance is that it works.

The camera heads in use can perform up to 4 functions. 

OCR number plate reading is one.

Already issuing infringement notices.

Speed detection is another. 

Already issuing speeding tickets. 

Lane change over solid lines is viewed manually. 

Red light infringements are another. 

Dont personally know if this is viable. 

Basically no one stops for red lights here.

That's encouraging.

Do you have a link to this, or have you had some involvement with it in Thailand to confirm this?

After all that was my main question: Whether the software can read Thai letters, a myriad of low-contrast plates/letters, plus read the name of the province at the bottom of the plate (as often it is obscured by the number plate frame holder).

Edited by bluesofa

Received two letters recently.

One for crossing a white line.... another for speeding on the expressway - both for 500 baht. 

Guilty of both, however, I've been advised by friends and family not to bother paying it, the systems are not yet linked and nothing will come of not paying the fine. 

I'll find out in a couple of months when I renew the yearly tax. 

I was also pulled over by the Jollies on my Motorbike (being in the central lanes which are motorcycle free lanes instead of the frontage road on Vibhavadi Rd)... the BiB showed me a list... the 1000 baht fine for being in the wrong lane (I gave him 200 baht), but its 500 baht for speeding in a car !!!!... 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One for crossing a white line.... another for speeding on the expressway - both for 500 baht. 

Guilty of both, however, I've been advised by friends and family not to bother paying it, the systems are not yet linked and nothing will come of not paying the fine. 

I was also pulled over by the Jollies on my Motorbike (being in the central lanes which are motorcycle free lanes instead of the frontage road on Vibhavadi Rd)... the BiB showed me a list... the 1000 baht fine for being in the wrong lane (I gave him 200 baht), but its 500 baht for speeding in a car !!!!... 

They are most definitely linked. I got a perfectly clear Printout from Ubon Rat. Taxed Car  10 months after in Krabi and they had full details. I Just foregot it, no intent to avoid the 1000 Bhht for 210 kph even if it was 3Am and deserted. Why they have such stupid bloody limits on superb deserted Hi Ways did annoy me. Some enlighted areas even turn Traffic lights of  between 1am and 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They are most definitely linked. I got a perfectly clear Printout from Ubon Rat. Taxed Car  10 months after in Krabi and they had full details. I Just foregot it, no intent to avoid the 1000 Bhht for 210 kph even if it was 3Am and deserted. Why they have such stupid bloody limits on superb deserted Hi Ways did annoy me. Some enlighted areas even turn Traffic lights of  between 1am and 6.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of months.... Many are saying there is no link and you have first hand evidence the systems are linked. It may be that in some provinces the systems are connected where as in other provinces the bureaucracy remains the choke point.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have found the system linked or otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess I'll find out in a couple of months.... Many are saying there is no link and you have first hand evidence the systems are linked. It may be that in some provinces the systems are connected where as in other provinces the bureaucracy remains the choke point.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have found the system linked or otherwise. 

Most like not all linked, but we have an irate Mom next door who wants to know why her 2 Sons have got her 7 Fines, 3 on the same day in place for one Son. Again all from up north. My Wife got one, but she had friend in office and it dissipated. She never speeds, so she says. Should have got her to tax mine.:1zgarz5:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's encouraging.

Do you have a link to this, or have you had some involvement with it in Thailand to confirm this?

After all that was my main question: Whether the software can read Thai letters, a myriad of low-contrast plates/letters, plus read the name of the province at the bottom of the plate (as often it is obscured by the number plate frame holder).

A thai security friend who does specific computer related functions for the BIB.

We won't go there.

But its certainly operational. 

See some of the first hand comments. 

Also a previous poster was also technically familiar with the type of systems being used. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A thai security friend who does specific computer related functions for the BIB.

We won't go there.

But its certainly operational. 

See some of the first hand comments. 

Also a previous poster was also technically familiar with the type of systems being used. 

Thanks for your reply.

That's great, I can accept that it works here in Thailand. After all that was my specific question regarding all this.

You are the first poster to come back and answer regarding Thailand. There have been many who keep saying how it works elsewhere, but no one else has specifically confirmed the system can cope with reading (what I see as) difficult Thai number plates.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 10:04 AM, Rimmer said:

The owner of the vehicle gets the fine in the post.  I already transferred ownership of both our cars to my wife, little does she suspect :biggrin:

Ill remove the front number plate and keep it inside the car...................yes  officer it  fell off and I will put it back on asap...............few  hundred baht fine  and cheaper than the fine and points  judging by the amount of no plates on motorbikes round here

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kannot said:

Ill remove the front number plate and keep it inside the car...................yes  officer it  fell off and I will put it back on asap...............few  hundred baht fine  and cheaper than the fine and points  judging by the amount of no plates on motorbikes round here

You may have already noticed the increase in vehicle number plates scrubbed white.

UK and Australia had this several years ago. 

Point of note.

Almost all the multiple cameras I see are rear detector types. 

Front detection are used cunningly by other departments. 

Tollway e tag systems. 

Also. 

Like the Sherriff in Australia. 

They can pull you, and bring up everything you owe.

Tax, parking,  alimony, child welfare, parking, speeding,  driving while suspended. 

The cars are impounded. 

You pay or enter a repayment agreement and you get it back.

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

You may have already noticed the increase in vehicle number plates scrubbed white.

UK and Australia had this several years ago. 

Point of note.

Almost all the multiple cameras I see are rear detector types. 

Front detention are used cunningly by other departments. 

Tollway e tag systems. 

Also. 

Like the Sherriff in Australia. 

They can pull you, and bring up everything you owe.

Tax, parking,  alimony, child welfare, parking, speeding,  driving while suspended. 

The cars are impounded. 

You pay or enter a repayment agreement and you get it back.

Wife had two tickets about 3  months ago , front facing camera with  zoom in on number plate 124kph in a 90...............called her friend in the Police and got them cancelled, he said dont pay them as  well.

My car is  still at an old  address somewhere? I must have plenty of tickets? renewed tax about 4  months ago now, no questions asked. Bangkok for tax renewal but can now do it online also I saw in a recent Thai Visa thread.

Its a game to make  money, seriously nothing to do with safety at all, Im happy to play their game and  wiggle out anyway I can.

19 minutes ago, kannot said:

I see many cars with unreadable licenseplates, they sanded the paint from the plates or put some film/mud over it...

21 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Some enlighted areas even turn Traffic lights of  between 1am and 6.

incredibly thats when Somchai will drive into you expecting it to be clear, its  just a game to make  money, real safety would cost them a lot of money and time/effort

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I see many cars with unreadable licenseplates, they sanded the paint from the plates or put some film/mud over it...

I seem to remember stories from the UK years ago regarding this - spraying the number plates with hair lacquer. It was invisible to the naked eye, but allegedly prevented the camera taking a clear photo,

Perhaps it was an urban myth, I have no idea.