Eyes in the sky. Number plate recognition cameras are working.

dallen52

My car registration book (blue book) still records my address as the one (a rented house) I lived at at the time of purchasing the car. I have moved four times since then, but never updated or renewed the book. I do pay my car tax and insurance but have never been asked to prove my address.

So, if my number is recorded on a camera, who they gonna call? I'm certain that the owner/occupants at my former address have no idea how to contact me now.

Are the computer systems at the vehicle registration office linked to other offices...?

I'm genuinely interested to know what will happen in such cases.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

My car registration book (blue book) still records my address as the one (a rented house) I lived at at the time of purchasing the car. I have moved four times since then, but never updated or renewed the book. I do pay my car tax and insurance but have never been asked to prove my address.

So, if my number is recorded on a camera, who they gonna call? I'm certain that the owner/occupants at my former address have no idea how to contact me now.

Are the computer systems at the vehicle registration office linked to other offices...?

It may come back to bite you when it comes to selling the car in the future, 27 fines to be paid before the DLT will let you sell it. There is often talk of a license point system coming, so fines etc may one day come off your license.

• Like 1

One day you won’t be able to renew you tax sticker. As you purposely avoided paying fines, you will get an additional fine or your driver licence could be revoked. Not a smart move from your side!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

One day you won’t be able to renew you tax sticker. As you purposely avoided paying fines, you will get an additional fine or your driver licence could be revoked. Not a smart move from your side!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I renew my tax sticker every year with no trouble. I think that means that there are no outstanding fines. But you are probably right: if there were fines outstanding they could note that at the time of the next tax renewal.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

It came up on a Ford Fiesta club forum and the majority of the members are Thai. 

The majority of the respondents said that they would ignore it. 

Basically because DLT is not set up to process them yet. 

So it begs the question who is sending them out.?

Just add to the 800,000 unpaid fines and summons current. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I renew my tax sticker every year with no trouble. I think that means that there are no outstanding fines. But you are probably right: if there were fines outstanding they could note that at the time of the next tax renewal.

In Australia the Sheriff department handles them and others.

They have more enforcement power than the police. 

One guy was hauled over from the number plate recognition and had 129 outstanding fines and summons. 

And if it's a company vehicle and you cannot name the driver, it gets put off the road...

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It may come back to bite you when it comes to selling the car in the future, 27 fines to be paid before the DLT will let you sell it. There is often talk of a license point system coming, so fines etc may one day come off your license.

Yes.

Regardless of the sometimes jocular responses we post on some topics, data sharing is happening at an alarming rate. 

Tax, employment,  address, registrations, licences,  immigration,  all on the central data repository..

Like you say.

You will front up to pay something and get hit with 25 other outstanding fines etc.

57 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Already being sent out up our way since May this year.

Drove to Buriram and back last week. 

Several signs indicating Wi-Fi speed cameras in operation 24 hour's a day.

Haven't spotted the cameras yet.

Just plentiful supply of signs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

Eventually (maybe years)  you wont be able to buy tax ( maybe insurance)  without either paying the fine online or  more likely having to go to the DLT to pay the fines.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

In Australia a company I worked for gave me the option of paying the fine generated if they cannot name the driver, it came in at 600% in this case $2232, I said no thanks and took the 3 points and $372

My son was doing 60,000km a year as a field service engineer. 

I copped a few for him over the years.

To keep him working. 

That's what Dads do..?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dallen52 said:

My son was doing 60,000km a year as a field service engineer. 

I copped a few for him over the years.

To keep him working. 

That's what Dads do..?

A few mates and I used to ride bikes and we'd occasionally swap fines depending on where we each were with our points, otherwise you could be gone too quickly. As long as they paid the fine no one cared too much

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Farma said:

Be careful out there. This one has been doing the rounds on Thai social media.

Showed up in the mail. His wife opened it. The passenger wasn't his wife. ?

Had 2 speeding fines in the post in the last 6 years or so - never showed the front view - only the rear/numberplate............

The best way to avoid speeding fines is don't speed. 

Working in Dubai. Fines are between 5000 - 12000B. You get a message on your mobile that is linked to the car registration. If the fines are not paid you cannot renew your vehicle registration or DL. So I don't speed anymore. Pretty much no way to appeal either.

The SPECS camera's that measure your average speed between 2 fixed points through number plate recognition and they have been used in the UK for years. Mainly used at roadworks. These are the ones I hate.

I got done with one of these in 2004 on the M6 in Cheshire on a Sunday doing 47 mph. Through roadworks with no one working at the time. I actually managed to get off with it through appeals, etc. I won't say what the etc was but it was a good job I researched these cameras after i got the ticket and found out that they only take a picture of the number plate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dallen52 said:

My daughter has had 2 papers through with a picture of her the fine they want is 500 bht a go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Yes, they are linked or will be linked soon. Not all areas or domains are linked yet. This is happening quick.

You forgetvthe fines are on the plate of the car. And when you go to exptent the insurance and road taxes they know about the outstanding fines.

when you want to sell the car you have to prrovide your address registrstion. 

This is also a moment they track you back.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dallen52 said:

They do a lot of that in UK - put up a sign but no camera (or a non-working one). Sign acts as a deterrent to speeders except those who know the area.

Then one day a new camera is installed or the existing one is repaired / updated - Gotcha!

Edited by VBF

6 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Most likely they won't Renew you're Rego   Until you pay the outstanding Fines