Treason charge suggested during final Ricketson hearing

geovalin

During his closing statement for the espionage trial of jailed Australian filmmaker James Ricketson, a deputy prosecutor yesterday suggested the journalist also be convicted of treason. Sieng Sok, a Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor, said that Mr Ricketson should also be charged with treason for collecting information considered prejudicial to national defence.

Mr Ricketson has been behind bars on espionage charges after he was arrested in June 2017 for operating a drone to film an opposition rally without permission. Mr Sok said that the new charge would be fitting because Mr Ricketson is suspected of spying under the pretence of being a foreign journalist since 1995 until his arrest last year.

He argued that Mr Ricketson knew and contacted opposition party leaders, including Sam Rainsy, Kem Sokha, Mu Sochua, Yim Sovann, Hong Sok Hour and Son Chhay. “The accused person was hiding behind the notion that he was a journalist in order to collect information in Cambodia,” Mr Sok said, adding that the information was sent to foreign countries.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50528181/treason-charge-suggested-during-final-ricketson-hearing/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 30/08

It is not looking good at all and I am fully expecting him to get well and truly stuffed by the corrupt Cambodian courts who are well and truly under the thumb of Hun Sen.

The country is now a total dictatorship.

"Sieng Sok, a Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor, said that Mr Ricketson should also be charged with treason"

Stupis <deleted>.  How can an Australian be charged with treason in a foreign country.

The plick obviously does not understand what treason means.

Charge him with spying (unlikely), but how the <deleted> can you charge a foreigner with treason in Cambodia?

This guy obviously just fell out of the coconut tree.

This is probably indicative of the general intelligence level (sic) of the Cambodians that led to this guy being charged in the first place.  Some self entitled monkeys getting way too big for their boots.

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

"Sieng Sok, a Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor, said that Mr Ricketson should also be charged with treason"

Stupis <deleted>.  How can an Australian be charged with treason in a foreign country.

Charge him with spying (unlikely), but how the <deleted> can you charge a foreigner with treason in Cambodia?

This is probably indicative of the general intelligence level (sic) of the Cambodians that led to this guy being charged in the first place.  Some self entitled monkeys getting way too big for their boots.

I completely agree with you but I fear this will not end well for him and he is an older man with health issues.

5 hours ago, saminoz said:

You have a quaint almost 'tudor' concept of who is capable and able to commit treason.

10 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

You have a quaint almost 'tudor' concept of who is capable and able to commit treason.

From Wikipedia: :In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more extreme acts against one's nation or sovereign"

As this gentleman is not a citizen of Cambodia, how on earth could he have committed treason?

He was charged with spying, which is feasible, given that he is an Australian subject.

Perhaps the espionage case is falling apart and they are just looking for some other stick to beat the poor chap with?

Would love to know the reasoning behind your Tudor reference though.

Well,

As many suspected and I mentioned, he has been well and truly stitched up and given 6 years for spying/espionage.

A man in failing health and going up to seventy years of age.

I hope you are proud of your corrupt courts in Cambodia.

A disgrace!

Well,

As many suspected and I mentioned, he has been well and truly stitched up and given 6 years for spying/espionage.

A man in failing health and going up to seventy years of age.

I hope you are proud of your corrupt courts in Cambodia.

A disgrace!
I suppose the sentencing was made considering his old age. He got off very easy in light of his crime. I suspected he was guilty from the start, now the truth has come out finally. This is obviously a delicate subject, so we will not know every single detail, but what can now be said for certain, is that there are high profile Australian spies working in Cambodia. Let this light sentence be a warning to all. I'm sure the old spy will get to go home in a year.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

well, just to save australia having to send spies I can fill them in and save them some money. "the opposition had a public rally". really scary stuff I know, but dont worry, the government has now banned the opposition so it wont be happening again, so no need to send any more spies. hope that helps

4 hours ago, kolumats said:

I suppose the sentencing was made considering his old age. He got off very easy in light of his crime. I suspected he was guilty from the start, now the truth has come out finally. This is obviously a delicate subject, so we will not know every single detail, but what can now be said for certain, is that there are high profile Australian spies working in Cambodia. Let this light sentence be a warning to all. I'm sure the old spy will get to go home in a year.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

I find your post silly and not a true representation of the facts regarding ' spying ', also, where you feel he got off ' light ' at six years for flying a drone over a rally,

Archived