Motorcyclist killed, friend injured after collision with car in Ayutthaya

webfact

Motorcyclist killed, friend injured after collision with car

By The Nation

ay.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A speeding large motorcycle crashed into a car at an intersection in Ayutthaya's Uthai district early on Thursday, killing the passenger and severely injuring the rider.

Police said the accident happened at 2am at the Grand Market Intersection on the Rojana Road in Tambon Thanu.

The passenger, Nattapol Chuensaichon, 24, from Bangkok, suffered a broken neck and the rider, Parinya Dejpakorn, 23, also from Bangkok, was severely injured and taken to Ayutthaya Hospital.

Their Suzuki Predator GSX-S750 crashed into the front of a black Toyota car, whose shaken driver, Suriyan Kaewkham, 50, waited for police at the scene.

Suriyan told police that he was making a right turn at the intersection when his traffic light turned green. He said the speeding motorcycle, which was heading to the Uthai district downtown, hit his car, hurling the two men over his car and on to the road several metres away.

Suriyan said he was very sorry over the death and injuries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353322

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-30

So the driver turned right across the path of an oncoming motorcycle or have I misunderstood. I dont doubt the motorcycle could have been speeding, but the give way to on coming vehicles doesnt apply here. Save 2 seconds by pulling out into on coming traffic and hope for the best. The drivers and motorbike riders here are a joke.

RIP.  You know going really fast makes things start to happen very quickly. any mention of helmets?   

I saw a Thai man haul ass through downtown Hua Hin last night on a rice rocket and enter the S curve flyover south of town at maybe 130kph.

I hit the throttle on my 125 Honda Click but not much happened. That was about the most excitement we have around these parts :cheesy:

29 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

So the driver turned right across the path of an oncoming motorcycle or have I misunderstood.

Many lights in Thailand have separate green phase for each direction.

E.g. straight and right turn on one side only.

So it's possible that the motorbike rider jumped the red light.

Suzuki Predator GSX-S750: maybe he thought his bike is faster than red light :sleep:

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I hit the throttle on my 125 Honda Click but not much happened. That was about the most excitement we have around these parts :cheesy:

...you......you farang maniac!

29 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

So the driver turned right across the path of an oncoming motorcycle or have I misunderstood. 

If what the car driver says is true, this happened at a set of traffic lights where he had a green light and if so, the motorcycle must have run a red light. Now, even if you have a green light it sometimes pays to be cautious anyway but overall it makes it sound like it was the motorbike rider who was mostly at fault.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A speeding large motorcycle crashed into a car at an intersection in Ayutthaya's Uthai district early on Thursday, killing the passenger and severely injuring the rider.

Bad motorcycle, very bad.

I am quite confident that I found the intersection where the accident happened:

https://goo.gl/maps/xDbxEq4u98p

Referring to the view:

the car came from the left (market area) intending to turn right onto the wide major road (#309).

So no question: if he had green light the main road had red for at least a few (2? 3?) seconds before.

(it would be a suicide attempt to turn right onto this road on red)

I hate driving in the night (2 AM).

I don't like being the first at the green light.

And have a dash cam!!!

(if the driver survives he will hardly tell the truth)

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

So the driver turned right across the path of an oncoming motorcycle or have I misunderstood. I dont doubt the motorcycle could have been speeding, but the give way to on coming vehicles doesnt apply here. Save 2 seconds by pulling out into on coming traffic and hope for the best. The drivers and motorbike riders here are a joke.

The driver said he turned right at the intersection after the lights had turned green !!

Just saying....

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The driver said he turned right at the intersection after the lights had turned green !!

Just saying....

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Yes.

Look at the view that I have linked!

And you will know what the wrong assumption about the right turn is.

It was NOT an oncoming motorbike.

Motorbike drove on main road coming from the right.

Car turning into the main road.

And how could the car be mostly demolished on the RIGHT side if an oncoming motorbike crashed into? (little to no impact on the left)

That the text also describes that the motorbike and the car came from different roads becomes a side note.

Archived