Trump threatens to withdraw U.S. from World Trade Organization - Bloomberg

webfact

11 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

Ah Yes,You say kick the US ,the nation with the largest world economy out of The WTO. ? OK then The US will entertain each nation as individuals in separate contract negotiations and the WTO would not have any leverage at all.Trump pulled The US out of NAFTA( that Bill Clinton negotiated in 1994) a while back and just this week signed a new deal with Mexico with The US in a more profitable position,thus leaving Canada to present The US with their propitiation. His tactics are harsh but they are designed to put The US in a better position.And believe me The WTO needs The US more then The US needs The WTO>

Actually George H.W. Bush's administration negotiated the Nafta deal. And no, the US has not yet signed a deal with Mexico. And it's not much of a change either. And going after Canada, a highly developed nation whose working and middle classes are far better off than the USA's is just ludicrous.

And no, I don't believe you the the WTO is the needier of the 2 parties.

16 hours ago, Grouse said:

With the greatest respect, the  USA counts for less than 5% of the global population and  has contributed precious little to the global culture.

We don't need you or particularly want you. Much of your wealth originates from natural resources and slavery anyway. Your social structures are the envy of nobody.

Now, play nicely with the other 197 countries or b****r  off. Too loud and too much trouble

No Big Macs, Harley's, or Starbucks would be a benefit.

I do hope China looks at rare earths!

Who are you comparing the US with?. China? the beacon of freedom, business, trade & music .. only somebody living under a rock would think so. Logical debate can only had be had with people that know the topic factually and are not prone to emotional drivel. Read History not the Global Times.

The senile clown is talking nonsense again. Nobody ever takes him seriously anymore on the world stage.

the usa is no longer the model for a good and functioning society. Violence, gun laws, mass murders, drugs, slums, absolute injustice regarding the distribution of wealth in society, inadequate social and health systems, obese, unhealthy food, GM monocultures, idiotic tv series, good education only for the rich, huge public debts, bad loans and a credit card overindebted population, etc.

Which of these intern us problems is the orange clown trying to solve?

Zero.

And foreign policy?

Climate protocol, environmental protection, species protection, marine pollution, microplastic, resource conservation, alternative energy, WTO, NATO, UN, EU, world peace and cooperation?

Zero again.

45 is the stupidest president the us has ever had.

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is a very typical move on the part of Tiny Don. Tells you who he truly is. A thin skinned man, with a severe lack of emotional development, lacking a sound and rational mind, and unable to maintain our long held alliances, treaties, agreement, and promises. He is a petty liar, and walking away from a promise means nothing to him, since he possesses no sense of morality, decency, or ethics. He is a terribly broken man. He cannot handle criticism.

And he is going down. Just wait. His problems are only just beginning. And it is his own doing. Had he stayed where he was, as a property developer, he would have probably been able to live out his life enjoying his ill gotten fortune, and would continue to be able to cripple family businesses, by engaging in his deceitful and criminal practices, without the scrutiny, and continue to grow his fortune on the backs of others. 

He's a billionaire who has employed thousands of people  and takes the piss out of Europeans  for their failed post WW2 social plan.

Who are you ?

36 minutes ago, lanista said:

He's a billionaire who has employed thousands of people  and takes the piss out of Europeans  for their failed post WW2 social plan.

Who are you ?

I am Grouse

I would not want raise a family in the USA with their superior social plan

11 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I can appreciate you not being comfortable being referred to as a war monger.  Dont think I agree that most are not supporters of war.  Of course you are a varied bunch, both stars and stripes in the US.

Think I understand why DT was elected, however to your list you should add distrust in Clinton.

A change on the hill with more  Dems before xmas and a possible Dem potus after the next election, will not make any difference, dem potuses are as keen on running wars outside us as gop potuses, no difference really a very dangerous breed  you are

who was the last potus to bomb Europe?

unwelcomed by europe

unwelcomed by eu

unwelcomed by nato

unwelcomed by security council

unwelcomed by un

probably supported by UK, they are also pretty keen on war mongering

clinton wasn't it?

I think the animosity towards Clinton was the major reason Trump won. That is on the Democrats for being so foolish in nominating her. 

1 hour ago, pegman said:

I think the animosity towards Clinton was the major reason Trump won. That is on the Democrats for being so foolish in nominating her. 

think you have a good point there,

but also the list that Thaidream produced is relevant me thinks,

worries about health care cost,  worries about immigrants snatching jobs, worries re job security

The loony left is focused only on creating irrelevant noise and disrupting the Don's agenda.

They have no proof about anything...just a bunch of testimonies extracted under duress.

Now they are clamouring for his tapes during the Apprentice TV Show recordings....what the hell for...

it a show about firing people so he's bound to have said some nasty things...who cares....that was way back...

who do they think they are..... angels...lol

I don't care how many pussies he's grabbed or people he's been rude to....let him do his work....he was elected through lawful means....stand down lefty nutters.

23 hours ago, Grouse said:

With the greatest respect, the  USA counts for less than 5% of the global population and  has contributed precious little to the global culture.

We don't need you or particularly want you. Much of your wealth originates from natural resources and slavery anyway. Your social structures are the envy of nobody.

Now, play nicely with the other 197 countries or b****r  off. Too loud and too much trouble

Who is “we”?  Another jealous soul that doesn’t understand how the world operates.  Have another beer ? my perfect human 

6 hours ago, lanista said:

Who are you ?

I am a man who has worked hard my whole life, enjoyed some success, and a great reputation as a businessman. I treat people I do business with, with a great deal of honor and respect. I do not attempt to steal their money. I honor my contracts and commitments. Something little donny knows nothing about. Fairly easy to make a fortune, if you are willing to do it Al Capone style. I am not willing to do that. I sleep well at night, and my self esteem remains intact, unlike the charlatan. He had 3,600 lawsuits he was involved in at the time of assuming the presidency. Just ponder for a moment, the level of crime, dishonesty, scams, theft, and nonsense a man has to engage in, to have that many people sue him.

You applaud him for being a divider. I admonish him for being a man who breaks alliances, treats allies with disdain, and coddles dictators. Sorry, I have no respect for the man child, whatsoever. 

He is totally indefensible. Do not even try. 

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The senile clown is talking nonsense again. Nobody ever takes him seriously anymore on the world stage.

the usa is no longer the model for a good and functioning society. Violence, gun laws, mass murders, drugs, slums, absolute injustice regarding the distribution of wealth in society, inadequate social and health systems, obese, unhealthy food, GM monocultures, idiotic tv series, good education only for the rich, huge public debts, bad loans and a credit card overindebted population, etc.

Which of these intern us problems is the orange clown trying to solve?

Zero.

And foreign policy?

Climate protocol, environmental protection, species protection, marine pollution, microplastic, resource conservation, alternative energy, WTO, NATO, UN, EU, world peace and cooperation?

Zero again.

45 is the stupidest president the us has ever had.

I totally agree. As an American I can say the influence, prestige, power and moral authority of the US, is diminishing by the day. Tiny Don. Making America less great, and ending American empire in one term. Tiny Don. I cannot negotiate my way out of a paper bag. Tiny Don. Demonstrating the hazards of operating with an IQ of Thailand room temperature. 

8 hours ago, lanista said:

Who are you ?

Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world. Compared to him, Trump is a piker. Who is Trump to attack Jeff Bezos?

And if you tell me that this kind of reasoning is defective, I will agree with you 100%,

On 8/31/2018 at 11:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

That is a very typical move on the part of Tiny Don. Tells you who he truly is. A thin skinned man, with a severe lack of emotional development, lacking a sound and rational mind, and unable to maintain our long held alliances, treaties, agreement, and promises. He is a petty liar, and walking away from a promise means nothing to him, since he possesses no sense of morality, decency, or ethics. He is a terribly broken man. He cannot handle criticism.

And he is going down. Just wait. His problems are only just beginning. And it is his own doing. Had he stayed where he was, as a property developer, he would have probably been able to live out his life enjoying his ill gotten fortune, and would continue to be able to cripple family businesses, by engaging in his deceitful and criminal practices, without the scrutiny, and continue to grow his fortune on the backs of others. 

I agree with almost every word you said. The real problem though is this is the type of person who has risen to the pinnacle of both business and politics. Who are we when the people at the top of every field behave like this? Aren't we essentially saying, "this is how you need to be if you want to be ultr successful". There are no answers, but I think one day in the distant future the entire ethos on how we handle everything needs to change. 

6 hours ago, Redline said:

Who is “we”?  Another jealous soul that doesn’t understand how the world operates.  Have another beer ? my perfect human 

We are the RoW

I think I understand very well how the world operates and it has not been assisted by the USA in a very long time.

I'm a Whisky drinker thanks. I am very far from perfect but I do claim to be well travelled, well read and to have benefitted from a first class education.

I am certainly not jealous of Americans. I have lived and worked in the USA on three occasions and I am not impressed. With all the advantages you have had, you could have done much better IMO.

Now, do the world a favour and pipe down.

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

We are the RoW

I think I understand very well how the world operates and it has not been assisted by the USA in a very long time.

I'm a Whisky drinker thanks. I am very far from perfect but I do claim to be well travelled, well read and to have benefitted from a first class education.

I am certainly not jealous of Americans. I have lived and worked in the USA on three occasions and I am not impressed. With all the advantages you have had, you could have done much better IMO.

Not impressed? You do not like high taxes, exorbitant health costs, stuck-up women, and overbearing, revenue generating police? 

You guys that have obviously all travelled a bit understand more than most: have you ever noticed how many rules there are in the USA. In Thailand I can relax on the street corner with a beer. The list is endless.

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

We are the RoW

Hmmmm ok ? 

22 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I agree with almost every word you said. The real problem though is this is the type of person who has risen to the pinnacle of both business and politics. Who are we when the people at the top of every field behave like this? Aren't we essentially saying, "this is how you need to be if you want to be ultr successful". There are no answers, but I think one day in the distant future the entire ethos on how we handle everything needs to change. 

I agree with some of what you say. I think most billionaires are ruthless, and probably cheats. But not all. And some are worse than others. Trump is downright pathological. And when you consider that he is more than likely the most criminal, ruthless, crooked, and thieving of them all, yet possesses relatively modest wealth by billionaire standards (Forbes has him listed at $3 billion, the US govt. says slightly over a billion, with $680,000,000 in debt), he is a failure at business. 

On 8/31/2018 at 10:15 PM, duanebigsby said:

In the Canada/US softwood lumber disputes lasting decades, the WTO has consistently upheld Canada's position.

If the US won't abide by their rulings, perhaps they should withdraw.

Funny how posters point out that the US is the world's biggest economy.

They have the world's largest unsustainable debt of which China holds the majority share.

When will this crash and burn?

On the other side of the coin the US wins around 90% of it's disputes lodged with the WTO and approx 90% of disputes raised against the US are dismissed. Since Trump has gained the Presidency his Administration has turned down all applicants for the WTO Appeal Court in order to try and stop the WTO functioning.

Trump constantly blatantly lies regards international organisations such as his claims concerning the WTO. Trump is unfit to hold the Office of the President of the USA.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:39 PM, melvinmelvin said:

not sure  I agree with that, seems to me Trump is doing OK,

screws around like no potus before

still massive support on the hill and across the us

let us see how he does in November, if that is not a catastrophe I expect  he will be reelected

US and the lot within is double-weird and highly dangerous to the rest of the world. War mongers the lot. not needed.

Massive support.

He lost on Obamacare. His tax bill barelly passed. In by-elections even in most cases where Republicans won, their support declined dramatically. Don't see how that qualifies as massive support either in Congress or across the country.

And that's not even to mention the polls which show in in decline once again.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:15 PM, duanebigsby said:

In the Canada/US softwood lumber disputes lasting decades, the WTO has consistently upheld Canada's position.

If the US won't abide by their rulings, perhaps they should withdraw.

Funny how posters point out that the US is the world's biggest economy.

They have the world's largest unsustainable debt of which China holds the majority share.

When will this crash and burn?

Is the debt unsustainable? Only if the present policies are continued. As for China holding the majority share of US debt, not even close. At 20 %, It doesn't even own close to the majority of that portion of government debt owned by foreigners, much less the entire national debt.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-debt-to-china-how-much-does-it-own-3306355

And even if it did, would China want to sell its bonds and drive the value of the US dollar down?

On 8/31/2018 at 11:00 PM, melvinmelvin said:

I can appreciate you not being comfortable being referred to as a war monger.  Dont think I agree that most are not supporters of war.  Of course you are a varied bunch, both stars and stripes in the US.

Think I understand why DT was elected, however to your list you should add distrust in Clinton.

A change on the hill with more  Dems before xmas and a possible Dem potus after the next election, will not make any difference, dem potuses are as keen on running wars outside us as gop potuses, no difference really a very dangerous breed  you are

who was the last potus to bomb Europe?

unwelcomed by europe

unwelcomed by eu

unwelcomed by nato

unwelcomed by security council

unwelcomed by un

probably supported by UK, they are also pretty keen on war mongering

clinton wasn't it?

You might want to temper your claims about lack of  European support for the bombing of Serbia

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/jun/01/alantravis1

And the USA bombed Serbia under the auspices of NATO.

As for the Security Council, a Russian proposal to stop the bombing was rejected by a vote of 12-3.

I'm unable to find any record of voting by the UN general assembly on the question.

As for the opinion of the EU, I'm also unable to find any poll of its members on the question. But since  the majority of  EU nations were members of NATO, it seems unlikely that your contention is untrue.

Apart from these minor objections, I pretty much agree with the rest of your post.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:26 PM, Grouse said:

I understand your anger. The US has been making alot of problems for the world, for some time now, and that has only accelerated in the past 18 months, with agent orange. Are you say Brittany Spears was not a major contribution? Reality TV? LOL.

I think the movie studios used to have some pretty good product, but in the current days of blockbuster action films, and sequels, Hollywood is no longer contributing much. There is still some good independent film in the US. I would argue that the TV shows that are being produced in the US now are some of the best in the world. The golden age of TV is one area where the US is offering something of value. There are an astonishing number of amazing TV series, right now, and for the past several years. 

As far as the statement about where most of the wealth of the US derives from, one cannot even begin to respond to such uninformed ignorance. Silicon Valley? Wall Street? The design industry? The music industry? High fidelity. High tech. Science research. Defense contractors. Hello? Is anyone there? Do I detect the presence of an empty suit? 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I understand your anger. The US has been making alot of problems for the world, for some time now, and that has only accelerated in the past 18 months, with agent orange. Are you say Brittany Spears was not a major contribution? Reality TV? LOL.

I think the movie studios used to have some pretty good product, but in the current days of blockbuster action films, and sequels, Hollywood is no longer contributing much. There is still some good independent film in the US. I would argue that the TV shows that are being produced in the US now are some of the best in the world. The golden age of TV is one area where the US is offering something of value. There are an astonishing number of amazing TV series, right now, and for the past several years. 

As far as the statement about where most of the wealth of the US derives from, one cannot even begin to respond to such uninformed ignorance. Silicon Valley? Wall Street? The design industry? The music industry? High fidelity. High tech. Science research. Defense contractors. Hello? Is anyone there? Do I detect the presence of an empty suit? 

I can get vexed sometimes can't I?

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Massive support.

He lost on Obamacare. His tax bill barelly passed. In by-elections even in most cases where Republicans won, their support declined dramatically. Don't see how that qualifies as massive support either in Congress or across the country.

And that's not even to mention the polls which show in in decline once again.

yes, massive support was the wrong term,

but his support is substantial enough so that he doesn't have to answer to the us national assembly for his crimes

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, massive support was the wrong term,

but his support is substantial enough so that he doesn't have to answer to the us national assembly for his crimes

You're quite right about answering to Congress. Unless some really damning evidence is released by team Mueller.

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

You might want to temper your claims about lack of  European support for the bombing of Serbia

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/jun/01/alantravis1

And the USA bombed Serbia under the auspices of NATO.

As for the Security Council, a Russian proposal to stop the bombing was rejected by a vote of 12-3.

I'm unable to find any record of voting by the UN general assembly on the question.

As for the opinion of the EU, I'm also unable to find any poll of its members on the question. But since  the majority of  EU nations were members of NATO, it seems unlikely that your contention is untrue.

Apart from these minor objections, I pretty much agree with the rest of your post.

there is an ocean between not taking steps against things happen and welcoming things

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

there is an ocean between not taking steps against things happen and welcoming things

Well, I cited polls for European public opinion, and I haven't found any evidence that NATO went along with the bombing unwillingly or due to American pressure. In the EU it depended on the country but still more support than not overall. 

Archived