Non-Immigrant "O"Visas

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What your friend has is either an O-A or an O visa and the reason he obtains a new visa every year is probably ( as Ubonjoe stated ) he doesn’t meet the financial requirements.

Right. He will not be on a Non O-A (as this needs financial proof) but may have a multiple Non O (90-day entries only, but available with any state pension in selected countries).

Yes I was responding to your post because one of us is being misled and I don't think its me, as I am not the one having to go in and out of the country all the time in order to be able to continue to live here. Which must involve you in unnecessary expense.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think you are confused ( again ) .

The O-A visa is a 1 year multi entry visa and allows you to stay for 1 year !
But, by doing a border hop/run just before it expires you gain another year permission of stay. Many people do this, as I myself did.

The advantage being that you do not have to provide financial requirements ( 800,000 baht or income over 65,000 baht a month ) for 2 years.

Sooo, I did a border run ( purely by choice, not actually required ) by taking a trip over the border into Myanmar and back during a visit to the Kanchanaburi region, all in all wasting about 1 hour of my trip, and at very little expense.

An O visa is the one where you have to leave the country every 90 days. !!

@Farangdad

Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

• Like 1

I think this forum is really fantastic. I have learned most of my stuff here mostly via UbonJoe and othrs like him and many of you other guys of course.

I think that when you are turn ing to this forum and ask questions it is important to listening to people NOT being stubborn into stiffness and not even try to understand. Be humble and you can learn a whole lot in just a matter of hours...

Here we got more than 37 posts and the question was answered already when we came up to post number 3-4 or 5 at maximum. The rest is mostly, it feels a situation same as Don Quijote... This is just my thoughts

glegolo

I think this forum is really fantastic. I have learned most of my stuff here mostly via UbonJoe and othrs like him and many of you other guys of course.

I think that when you are turn ing to this forum and ask questions it is important to listening to people NOT being stubborn into stiffness and not even try to understand. Be humble and you can learn a whole lot in just a matter of hours...

Here we got more than 37 posts and the question was answered already when we came up to post number 3-4 or 5 at maximum. The rest is mostly, it feels a situation same as Don Quijote... This is just my thoughts

glegolo

Quite correct, when someone asks for advice and is given it ( from the givers own experience not hearsay ) then they have 2 options: to either heed it or ignore it !
The 3rd option of not accepting help and calling everyone out is not acceptable IMHO.

Having said that, I may have come across as arrogant in my replies and to this I apologise.

When I applied for my OA I met a Brit ( waiting in line at Embassy ) who was applying for another O visa , he had never heard of an OA and was adamant that I would have to leave the country every 90 days as he was doing. He was sure in his mind that he was correct also.

To the OP, I hope you resolve your doubts and have no Immigration issues .

No hard feelings, peace bro [emoji846]
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 9:58 AM, BritTim said:

state pension in selected countries

Worst kind of visa. One has to wait for state pensions. Have money in the bank, get O-A. No need for for money to season and transfer to Thailand. For two years, peace of mind. The draconian rule of 90-day reporting applies to all types of visa. 

On 9/7/2018 at 2:52 PM, Farangdad said:

Does an O-A Visa give one year permission to stay without the 90 day reporting? ...

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

The draconian rule of 90-day reporting applies to all types of visa. 

By law, one is required to do 90-day reporting if staying in the country longer than 90-days (and be reported on a TM-30 - enforced at most immigration-offices now). 

But given there is no check / fine applied at points of entry/exit, I suspect many using these visas don't bother.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

US embassies will not issue an O visa without a Thai family connection.

There is one Royal Thai Embassy in the US and thats in Washington D.C. which I used July 2017 to get a an O multi and yes you must prove your married and have funds. There are 3 Royal Thai Consulates, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles that are authorized to issue the O multi based on married with the same conditions.

Edited by khwaibah

On 9/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, khwaibah said:

There are 3 Royal Thai Consulates, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles that are authorized to issue the O multi based on married with the same conditions.

All consulates and the DC embassy will issue Non -O only when you have a family connection. For retirement, there is no Non-O in the US but there is a sweet and easy Non O-A valid for entry into Thailand for one year from the date of issuance. Every time you enter Thailand, you're permitted to stay up to one year. I have an O-A visa but I don't stay more than 3 months in Thailand. Mine will expire in March 28, 2019. If I enter Thailand on March 28, 2019, I will be permitted to stay till march 27, 2020. After March 28, if I leave the country I have to get a re-entry permit. 

On the first week of March, 2020, I will go to the US embassy and declare my monthly income as 2500/month. I will then go to the Changwattana  for a one year extension based on my monthly income. Every month I transfer $2500 from my US bank to my Bangkok Bank account (even when I am not in the Thailand). 

I am a software developer and I take short-term project (3/4 months) in the US finish them up and relax in Thailand for three months before returning to the US for working on another short-term project. 

I also have a small house in Normal IL. Very cheap place to live. ?