International passengers set to face 200 baht increase to fly abroad

webfact

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Reading should be a prerequisite to posting!

Do you know the difference between tongue and cheek and paranoia?

What does London Heathrow have to do with Thailand?

I did read it, and you were up in arms about a 200 baht rise in a modest tax, attributing it to the fact that the Thais are out to rip off foreigners (or words to that effect).  If you weren't being serious and your post was tongue in cheek then I take it back, but it certainly didn't seem that way.

And it was quite obvious what LHR had to do with it.  I was using it as a comparison to explain to you that it's is not just Thailand who is out to "rip off the foreigners" by charging more for international journeys.  LHR also has different fees based on length of journey, and the fees are several magnitudes higher then here.  If that didn't make sense to you and you couldn't see the comparison and why I was using it then I am sorry (for you).

At the end of the day it is a 200 baht rise to a modest fee that hasn't changed in years and is in line with international practise.  Get over yourselves with all the talk of it being another nail in the coffin of the tourist industry, tourist numbers will fall, the sky will come crashing in, waa waaa waaaa.  It's quite a ridiculous thread really, even for here.

• Like 1

It’s a bit like a road that you paid for with your taxes and then they make you pay again to use that road.
Pretending it’s necessary for
“maintenance “ and “service improvement “which is virtually non existent or at least kept to an absolute minimum - but a great way to skim of a lot of money for “friends” in need - (of a new watch? - sorry I could not resist! )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

33 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

It’s a bit like a road that you paid for with your taxes and then they make you pay again to use that road.
Pretending it’s necessary for
“maintenance “ and “service improvement “which is virtually non existent or at least kept to an absolute minimum - but a great way to skim of a lot of money for “friends” in need - (of a new watch? - sorry I could not resist! )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Do you live in the UK ? We pay road tax each year and then have to pay extra to drive on certain roads. ......It's already here my friend

50 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Do you live in the UK ? We pay road tax each year and then have to pay extra to drive on certain roads. ......It's already here my friend

Yes, a sensible combination of (1) basic infrastructure paid for by the taxpayer (on the basis that everyone benefits whether directly or indirectly) and (2) user pays (on the basis that those who actually use the infrastructure - ie benefit from it directly - should pay more).

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, a sensible combination of (1) basic infrastructure paid for by the taxpayer (on the basis that everyone benefits whether directly or indirectly) and (2) user pays (on the basis that those who actually use the infrastructure - ie benefit from it directly - should pay more).

A more sensible solution would be to increase fuel prices so that only those who use the road pay for it. It would also stop those who avoid paying road tax. Of course the flip side is that it opens up a market for bootleg petrol

Edited by Chelseafan