Gprs

The Dan Sai Kid

I used to attempt to do the internet via GPRS with a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card - it was terrible: the connection was incredibly inconsistent - it would keep shutting off and timing out - it was handy to quickly check something, but on the whole was not really worth the effort - I used to get around 30K!

I recently bought a Sony W810i, and when I connected was surprised to get around 100K - the connection was good - ok, I can't really do p2p or youyube, but beggars can't be choosers.

I have read about packages that are available and saw some when I surfer the web using only the phone. What I want to know is how I go about getting those packages and how do I get them to work when I connect using my laptop.

Thank you for any input!!

I can only comment on the one2call packages.

You can get 100hrs for bt350 per month, or 400hrs for bt900 per month, there are other packages for less time available but I don't have the prices to hand.

Dtac offers an unlimited deal if i remember right, but not sure of the price, something like bt1000 pm

totster :o

Even if the connection shows a connection speed about 400 kbps it's really 40 kbps (kilobits per second!!)

It's DTAC and Hutch who's providing a better speed in some Areas only. Hutch has 153 kbps and DTAC Edge is max 256 kbps while DTAC's serviced area is in BKK on very limited place only.

The DTAC Calling Center is just around the corner from my office app. ~ 2 km away and Edge isnt work here, I tested the connection with an 7 days package but wouldn't get more than 40 kbps!!

Before you buy anything like this checkout to first where the service areas are!! Special upcontry!!

In Pattaya both Dtac and AIS offer Edge.

Don't believe the speed hype, I get similar results on Dtac and AIS, around 50kbps -> 80kbps average.

Problem is data comes in bursts, 3 seconds at 130kbps, 3 seconds nothing, 2 seconds 100 kbps, 1 second nothing, sometimes 10 seconds non stop 80kbps...

In short top speed around 150kbps, average never over 100 kbps...

But, as the Dan Sai Kid says, beggars can't be choosers :o

In areas not serviced by Edge, I get speeds around a third of my edge speeds, topping out at 60kbps, averaging 30kbps.

It's cheap though, I have a post paid AIS package where I pay 450 Baht/month for 300 hours.

On the Dtac (pre-paid) it was very hard to get the gprs package, but I think I get 25 hours for 100 Baht or something like that.

Another observation is that it works sometimes excellent, especially during times hardly anybody uses their mobile phones, but it can grind to a complete standstill for example on a long weekend when half of Bangkok is on the beach in Pattaya, jabbering away on their phones...

Voice calls will always get priority over data!

Cool, thanks very much - won't miss any posting when I go to Issan in April!

FWIW I subscribe to a monthly, recurring GPRS package from 1-2-Call as part of my pre-paid service. I pay 107 baht (VAT included) for 25 hours. 1-2-Call recently revised/ increased their pricing structure but they honored the old pricing for existing customers.

Their current packages are:

3 hrs 30

6 hrs 50

20 hrs 100

100 hrs 350

400 hrs 900

From: www.mobilelife.co.th scroll down and choose "GPRS Package".

Pricing without a package is 1 baht per minute.

If you have 1-2-Call just dial 1175 from your phone, press "2" for an English-speaking CSR. They can set you up. You'll receive an SMS, typically within 60 minutes advising you of your enrollment in the plan.

1-2-Call have deployed EDGE in some locales in Issan. I am fortunate in that they have it the locations I frequently visit. Intra-Thailand speed tests (www.adslthailand.com) indicate ~ 145 Kbps on EDGE and ~ 78 Kbps on GPRS.

The speed I get is decent - for sure better than dial-up.

Do you pay in advance for the package and it is deducted when you connect to the internet and you can make calls normally

Thanks

If you sign up today (9 Feb), say for the 20 hr/100 baht package, then your balance will be reduced by 107 baht today. This is payment for the service from today until 8 March. On 9 March your balance will be reduced by 107 baht. So you are paying in advance. They send an SMS notifying you of any transactions. Not sure about your question about making calls normally? Some phones can handle simultaneous GPRS and voice sessions, many cannot or it is not recommended.