discount for paying 1y rent in advance.

Hi All,

I am considering renting a townhouse in a small town in the south. I've been quoted a monthly price, which is quite reasonable, but I wondered how much of a discount can I typically negotiate when paying for a whole year up front?

I am aware there is no concrete, single value and that many factors are in play here, but would appreciate estimates, ranges, your experiences...

My gut feeling is to push for a 20-25% discount, but maybe that's too much.

Thanks.

I rented my house for two three month periods and then when i was sure about the landlord and the neighborhood I asked for reduction of 1000 baht on my 11,000 baht per month rent and got it. I paid in cash one year in advance. signed a standard lease. In my third year now.

Make sure you understand what you are responsible for if anything. air con cleaning? yard?  

I tried that a few years ago. The answer was "No". That's because the landlord had a fairly good idea that I liked the place and wouldn't leave if he said no because I'd already been there over a year. You need to convince the landlord that you won't take up the rental if he cannot agree to a reasonable discount. IMO one month free would be a reasonable discount to ask for. 20 - 25% would be way too much unless the landlord was really desperate for cash and couldn't easily find tenants.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

When I rented my condo I got about 40% off the advertised monthly rate for a one-year term. But the monthly rate was probably unreasonably high and my yearly rate was probably unusually low.

Form what I've heard it's pretty normal to get a 2 month discount if you're paying yearly so you only pay for 10 months.

I did this once, I won't do it again due to problems. I ended up buying and installing my own AC unit just weeks after moving in to a house a couple of years back. I had it uninstalled when I moved out and took it with me when I left so I now have a spare AC compressor and 'fan unit' in the cupboard under the stairs. Maybe it will come in useful one day.

I had a friend who always used to pay the rent yearly and haggle a good discount..... But it isn't risk free 

When I rented I rather pay monthly because landlords are quick to fix stuff when the rent depends on it.... 

And if  neighbours from hell move in and the place becomes noisy or unlivable you can walk away and let them keep the deposit..... 

As a landlord I would never consider giving a discount for payment on advance .

How does it help?

I still have my monthly costs.

How does it help? Well a bird in the hand. You have the money up front, the tenant could pay monthly move out early and it stays empty for the remainder of the period. Common sense

15 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

How does it help?

the payment is in hand, so guaranteed, gives you the cash to invest, no need to worry monthly collecting... or having to find a new tenant... ease, security, certainty... 

26 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

How does it help?

If you need to ask such a question, perhaps you shouldn't be a landlord.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
27 minutes ago, weegee said:
NEVER !!!....Give a Thai money in advance...You will regret it. I did a few years ago, and havent seen the guy since...

But you were renting a place? So you just stay there, who cares if you don't see him

It wasnt about rent...I dont rent....It was about being ripped off, from paying in advance...

I always pay yearly last year my landlord wanted to desperately increase my rent by 2000 bpm I said ok its still cheap but I will now pay monthly it stayed the same yearly even though I know I'm ripping him off but that's the Brexit effect of a 25% increase without an actual increase ?

On 9/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, shadowofacloud said:

My gut feeling is to push for a 20-25% discount, but maybe that's too much.

More likely 10-15% discount, and not refundable if you decide to leave before the prepaid period terminates...?

I just asked the landlord to wave the two-month deposit which many Thai landlords

are reluctant to return. My Farang landlord was agreeable and I was happy to pay up

front, not have to drop off rent or worry about the deposit being returned. I like to

stay a year here, a year back in Canada and this is my third year staying in the same

unit with the same agreement with my landlord. I think it works well for both of us.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:44 PM, helloagain said:

Stop being a cheap charlie. You said its cheap so why should they give you discount. We dont with on our bungalows. If you like then take it and pay. If you tight person sod off

This is exactly the type of nonsense that clogs these forums with vindictive bile.

Unnecessary and hateful stuff.

Does this make you feel better about yourself?

I finally decided not to rent the townhouse, for many reasons, thus never had a chance to negotiate the price.

However, I've spoken with with the owner of the house I am currently renting on a monthly basis. He was ready to give me a ~7,5% discount for paying 6 months in advance and a ~15% discount for 1 year's rent in advance. I have a gut feeling that 20% off a year's rent would be doable with some friendly haggling.

I finally decided not to rent the townhouse, for many reasons, thus never had a chance to negotiate the price.

However, I've spoken with with the owner of the house I am currently renting on a monthly basis. He was ready to give me a ~7,5% discount for paying 6 months in advance and a ~15% discount for 1 year's rent in advance. I have a gut feeling that 20% off a year's rent would be doable with some friendly haggling.
Yeah but remember that Win Win phrase, i.e. you both do ok, don't completely screw him

Archived