Serious Toilet Issues

OM3N

So, my girlfriend, in another of her strokes of genius tried to flush uneaten potatoes down the toilet. Needless to say it got badly backed up :o . The building handymen spent a good two hours with a plunger and long hose, to no avail.

I went to Lotus and bought some drano (expensive stuff!) but when I got home, realized the small warning on the back saying not to use for toilets (maybe not good for porcelain?).

What product should I buy to fix this most annoying problem?

Thnx for any help

So, my girlfriend, in another of her strokes of genius tried to flush uneaten potatoes down the toilet. Needless to say it got badly backed up :o . The building handymen spent a good two hours with a plunger and long hose, to no avail.

I went to Lotus and bought some drano (expensive stuff!) but when I got home, realized the small warning on the back saying not to use for toilets (maybe not good for porcelain?).

Are these boiled or raw potatoes? If raw, you have a problem.

If boiled, buy or rent a sewer snake.

See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howT.../ClrDrains.html

Edited by lingling

So, my girlfriend, in another of her strokes of genius tried to flush uneaten potatoes down the toilet. Needless to say it got badly backed up :D . The building handymen spent a good two hours with a plunger and long hose, to no avail.

Are these boiled or raw potatoes? If raw, you have a problem.

If boiled, buy or rent a sewer snake.

See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howT.../ClrDrains.html

cricky's mate,

ive got the perfect solution to your complex problem and its so bloody easy im nearly choking.

get a new girlfriend that dont flush potatoes down the frigging dunny. :o:D

Thnx for any help

Sodium Bicarbonate

Thnx for any help

Sodium Bicarbonate

Like Baking Soda?

There are roto-rooter trucks around. Seems to me a simple telephone call to one of these services will take care of it.

In apartment builings, drains are much more complex than in residences.

I was once told by a roto-rooter man I used in Hawaii that rice was the biggest culprit in apartment houses as it expands when fully soaked, even if cooked, a people are always flushing un-eaten rice down the drain.

Could be worse it could have been your playstation. Haha remember that punters?

We're you playing a game with the potatos and you beat her?

yes that was a funny thread. :D

cricky's mate,

these guys got some crazy girlfriends but it gives us a top laugh.

i mean who would put a potato in the craper :D

whats wrong with <deleted> eating it. :o:D

Just chuck a few sausages in there with the spuds, add some onions and gravy; plunge thoroughly for 30 mins,- hey presto! Perfect bog bangers 'n mash. :D

ps, your girlfriend must have an extraordinarly fast metabolism... :D

classic kmart. :o:D :D

:o Funniest thread in a long time!

hate to get serious but ya need ta take the wc up; nuts on sides; clean er out an reset with new gasket. Ya may want t snake out line while up. SNAKE SCRATCHES PORCELAIN. That was good recipie for irish stew!

Just chuck a few sausages in there with the spuds, add some onions and gravy; plunge thoroughly for 30 mins,- hey presto! Perfect bog bangers 'n mash. :bah:

Prolly tastes crap though... :D

totster :D

tastes great ! but i'v now lost me knife n fork down there. Hope they clear out to Tatties...... :o:D:D

Thnx for any help

Sodium Bicarbonate

That will just make the toilet fizz....... you need caustic soda crystals..... available from most Thai hardware stores.

Sorry guys, it didn't add anything to the humour of the thread, but it does answer the question. :D

Maybe humorous bit.

I had this problem a few days ago. Talking a shower in the hong nam I noticed that the water wasn't draining away and I went to the hardware store and sketched out the problem with pen and paper. I was handed a bag of what looked like semi-white crisps (potato chips for the USA members)..... The previous water had drained while I was away, albeit slowly, I poured the entire contents down the drain hole and then poured boiling water on top, and then left the room, there was no other choice.

I discovered about two hours later that it was still blocked, went outside to the outflow pipe and started to push the garden hose up it, it jammed after about a meter.......... turned on the water..... the hose was forced out and something resembling a two meter white turd followed closely.

Wifey had been doing some 'need the bowl now' cleaning using the shower head for several months ...... grains of rice are much smaller than tatties so they just take longer to build up.

Acid..... a big bucket of acid! Mind you dont trip tho!

:o

Technical: Your blockage is starch and fiber. Sodium Hydroxide (some forms of Drano) will attack the starch, not the fiber. The reason why Drano is not recommended for toilets is it can generate heat and crack the porcelain. Your call there. The alternative chemical cleaner is a drain cleaner that contains sulphuric acid. That will attack both the starch and cellulose (fiber). Sulphuric acid bearing drain openers are relatively easy to tell as sulphuric acid is extremely heavy. Look for a liquid drain cleaner that seems significantly heavier than water by volume.

Thnx for any help

If you are in a apartment building and only your toilet is affected then you might be able to reach the clog with a snake drain un-clogger. Something around 10 feet long might work. A cheap snake would probably be under 200 baht. (You can always keep the snake for next time, since you might have said no potatoes any more - this doesn't rule out other foods!)

Now, if other apartments have plumbing problems then you will need a much longer snake and perhaps a professional plumber. If no water at all passes through then you really have a huge clog - did the lady dump a whole pot full down the drain?

Break down and buy a refrigerator and tell your girlfriend to save her left overs in it. Oh yeah, you might have some sort of cut out where you can run the snake in the other direction toward your toilet and free the clog from that way.

So, my girlfriend, in another of her strokes of genius tried to flush uneaten potatoes down the toilet. Needless to say it got badly backed up :D . The building handymen spent a good two hours with a plunger and long hose, to no avail.

Thnx for any help

If you are in a apartment building and only your toilet is affected then you might be able to reach the clog with a snake drain un-clogger. Something around 10 feet long might work. A cheap snake would probably be under 200 baht. (You can always keep the snake for next time, since you might have said no potatoes any more - this doesn't rule out other foods!)

Now, if other apartments have plumbing problems then you will need a much longer snake and perhaps a professional plumber. If no water at all passes through then you really have a huge clog - did the lady dump a whole pot full down the drain?

Break down and buy a refrigerator and tell your girlfriend to save her left overs in it. Oh yeah, you might have some sort of cut out where you can run the snake in the other direction toward your toilet and free the clog from that way.

Karazyal

Good idea re access panel in soil pipe but I'll be suprised if there are any in Thailand. With the exception of larger properties(condo blocks) I'v never seen these panels used. Out in the 'sticks' were I live in LOS, most of the plumbing looks like its been done by part time farmers.

I'm a self employed plumbing,gas and heating engineer in the UK and have used sulphuric acid to clear blocks. It is sold in Trade Plumbers Merchants and it doesnt damage the china-ware. But it must be used VERY CAREFULLY :o:D

My Thai-ness has never cooked spuds before, I bought some in December and she would probably do the same crazy stunt ..

Regards :D

Dave the Dude :D

Use you left hand /arm.....

...failing that cook and eat a really HOT"phet Mak Mak " Issan curry plus a skinfull of beer and wait for as long as possible (try overnight)and....then... hit the throne.

If you scream then it should be a good one.....

err....leave the windows open..... :o

Funny things potatoes. I enjoy chips with a meal (fish and chips, for example) - chips are common but I have only ever seen potatoes on sale at our local market in Issan once.

Paid something like 50 baht for each potato! Took them home, intending to cut them up and fry up some chips later. Before I had the chance, my other half's teenage sister was passing them around her friends and eating them raw.

I guess the only consolation is that they liked them - ate them all - and didn't flush them.

Peter

She put potatoes down the toilet lol

You cant be serious, where the hel_l did you meet this girl? must be from Isaan im guessing.

Maybe she is doing it because she wants to piss you off or maybe its something else which I wont say

Just chuck a few sausages in there with the spuds, add some onions and gravy; plunge thoroughly for 30 mins,- hey presto! Perfect bog bangers 'n mash. :bah:

:D :D :D <deleted>

yeh,

thats a cracker a grover, and i laughed my bollicks off . :o:D

kmart deserves a 50 baht for that little ripper. :bah: