Suggestions for charities to donate to in my will

Card

Hi,

I have decided to leave my substantial assets in my will to charities, as I would hate that all my life savings went to pay off mortgages or buy iPhones, or holidays in Benidorm. I am looking for suggestions for each of the following charity groups, either in Thailand or abroad. I would prefer small charities that can be trusted rather than big international charities such as Save the Children etc:

1. A children's charity involving education for the poor. I came from a working class family but went on to the heights of education and know its value in getting people out of poverty.

2. An animal charity that focuses on relieving cruelty. I have in mind a rescue charity for bears kept their whole life in cages to supply bile in China, but other suggestions are welcome.

3. Here is the difficult one, but being a plant scientist is near to my heart - a conservation charity that involves rescuing an obscure little plant (the uglier and smellier the better!) from extinction. I have in mind a Kew Gardens project but would prefer a smaller organisation.

Any help would be appreciated but plz no made-up ones.

Edited by Card
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

"Make a wish" (Kids charity)

https://www.make-a-wish.org.uk

"we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses".

Education

http://www.z2h.fi

Thailand project to enhance education in rural villages.

Animals

https://www.internationalanimalrescue.org/about-us

Thanks for this - the last 2 look interesting. But with the second one, I am always hesitant with Thai based charities in case of corruption. I think there is less risk when a charity has well qualified and recognised patrons and managers. Do you have any knowledge of those in the second charity?

4 minutes ago, Card said:

Thanks for this - the last 2 look interesting. But with the second one, I am always hesitant with Thai based charities in case of corruption. I think there is less risk when a charity has well qualified and recognised patrons and managers. Do you have any knowledge of those in the second charity?

I would urge you to read 

http://www.z2h.fi/1_2_who-we-are.html

To make your decision.

send Hydrogen Peroxide, scalpels, iodine and the drugs the WHO says help treat these biblical curse in KENYA. Not money. Or sponsor some medical students to go over there and treat people...

OXFAM & Co usually use up about 95% of donations and 5% might reach Africa. A friend toured the tsunami coast and saw the latest 'SUVs by NGOs. 10 houses could be built for the cost of one such car...

Hello Card,

There are many programs for children's education, but I would like to suggest you check our Warm Heart Worldwide. They have been in Phrao for 10 years now, working with Hill Tribe children, providing a home and education for disadvantaged children. The biggest problem for them is their success! Their kids are graduating High School and going on to higher education, which of course means higher costs. They average 45 children living at their Children's Homes, with another 14 already in Higher Education. Visit them in Phrao, and meet Michael and Evelind, the founders and hands-on managers of Warm Heart. https://warmheartworldwide.org

It is a wonderful thing you are doing. Good luck!

Carol

• 2 weeks later...
Google the Father Ray Foundation in Pattaya.     They have many things going on in the Pattaya area, a school for the blind, school for the handicapped,  childrens home.    
Thanks for the suggestion. I know about this charity but I want to keep clear of charities that combines religion with charity.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi,
I have decided to leave my substantial assets in my will to charities, as I would hate that all my life savings went to pay off mortgages or buy iPhones, or holidays in Benidorm. I am looking for suggestions for each of the following charity groups, either in Thailand or abroad. I would prefer small charities that can be trusted rather than big international charities such as Save the Children etc:

1. A children's charity involving education for the poor. I came from a working class family but went on to the heights of education and know its value in getting people out of poverty.

2. An animal charity that focuses on relieving cruelty. I have in mind a rescue charity for bears kept their whole life in cages to supply bile in China, but other suggestions are welcome.

3. Here is the difficult one, but being a plant scientist is near to my heart - a conservation charity that involves rescuing an obscure little plant (the uglier and smellier the better!) from extinction. I have in mind a Kew Gardens project but would prefer a smaller organisation.

Any help would be appreciated but plz no made-up ones.

I would like to add an addendum to my original posting, that:

1. The suggested charities follow one or more of the 3 principles that I outlined above.

2. If possible, information is provided about how the charitable funds are audited and what would happen to any surplus if or when the charity comes to an end. This question is aimed primarily at those posters involved directly in running the charity.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Checkout :"Rejoice Charity". They do good work supporting and educating children and families in the hill-tribe areas of North Thailand especially those affected by HIV and Aids. They have a newsletter which details their current work. You can also sponsor children and follow their progress.

They are  a UK registered charity,  charity number:1106175

Google Rejoicecharity