I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

On 10/30/2018 at 9:50 AM, BritManToo said:

It's not as if there's any shortage of countries around here for expats to live and have a bit of fun.

A bit is all you're going to get in the alternatives countries.

Edited by SheungWan

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Pshaw.  I can have the same amount of fun I have in Thailand in Singapore or Hong Kong for about 3,000,000 baht a year.  Of course here I'm only paying 800,000 but ..........

Hong Kong is for a different type of experience. Great if you are young though. Nice weather in HK today.

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Have to agree with this one.

Thai expats think they provide a lot more value than is perceived by the Thai Gov't and that is for sure.

Why the crackdown this year on overstayer's when expat's have been overstaying more than 30 years ago?

Do not remember Thaksin going after any expat overstayer's or causing all this chaos?

So, in Thai logic, there must be a reason for this sudden crackdown, appointing Big Joke to lead immigration, etc.?

With the current gov't continually postponing the date political parties can get organized and start campaigning, you have to wonder if the gov't wants anyone and everyone out that would have the sense and balls to call BS on that move?

Possible if there is another political blow up with Thai's fighting each other in the streets, they don't want to have to answer to expat governments?

I believe there is some hidden reason for this crackdown and it will only get worse.

I cannot image the current gov't will allow someone to win the coming election and kick all the Generals out of power.

In that case, things could go upside down very, very fast for the entire country, and specifically Bangkok.

Unless the highest offices of USA, China, Japan, UK, AUS, put direct pressure on the Thai government, the Thai government will never be concerned about expats who marry their women and educate them that corruption is wrong.

I think the current government will do whatever it can to hang on to power forever.

Sooner or later there is going to be a huge clash and it won't be good for anyone.

The smart thing for anyone to do is have a backup plan, whether you think you will ever need one or not.

Thaksin did much worse.  He stopped the nude dancing in Bangkok and that signaled the end of expats coming to Thailand.  I know I was here and shed many a tear over the decision. 

Thai expats think they provide a lot more value than is perceived by the Thai Gov't and that is for sure.

Why the crackdown this year on overstayer's when expat's have been overstaying more than 30 years ago?

Do not remember Thaksin going after any expat overstayer's or causing all this chaos?

So, in Thai logic, there must be a reason for this sudden crackdown, appointing Big Joke to lead immigration, etc.?

With the current gov't continually postponing the date political parties can get organized and start campaigning, you have to wonder if the gov't wants anyone and everyone out that would have the sense and balls to call BS on that move?

Possible if there is another political blow up with Thai's fighting each other in the streets, they don't want to have to answer to expat governments?

I believe there is some hidden reason for this crackdown and it will only get worse.

I cannot image the current gov't will allow someone to win the coming election and kick all the Generals out of power.

In that case, things could go upside down very, very fast for the entire country, and specifically Bangkok.

Unless the highest offices of USA, China, Japan, UK, AUS, put direct pressure on the Thai government, the Thai government will never be concerned about expats who marry their women and educate them that corruption is wrong.

I think the current government will do whatever it can to hang on to power forever.

Sooner or later there is going to be a huge clash and it won't be good for anyone.

The smart thing for anyone to do is have a backup plan, whether you think you will ever need one or not.

Crackdowns on immigration are only occurring in Thailand?
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thaksin did much worse.  He stopped the nude dancing in Bangkok and that signaled the end of expats coming to Thailand.  I know I was here and shed many a tear over the decision. 

There were way less visa issues when Thaksin was in charge.

Sorry but the 1% of desperado forced out because they are dead beats only ever contributed to happy hours and chasing balloons. Bye bye [emoji112]
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, geriatrickid said:

The reality is that Thailand does not want the  impoverished retirees. It has not wanted them for some time. This socio demographic group has been nothing but trouble for Thailand. They are often without medical insurance, live a marginal subsistence existence and take up space that is more profitably allocated to short term visitors and a wealthier demographic. In the coming years, Thailand will make it more difficult for these people to remain, not easier. The future is bleak for this demographic. If they are lucky, they have a quick death over the next five years before the economy undergoes an adjustment and they find themselves with even less income.

Until then, if one comes from an impoverished background. a lifestyle of living hand to mouth, free of worry about the future or care about what happens if he becomes ill, or if one really doesn't want the best for his kids, then all the tales of living on 20,000 or 30,000 or 40,000 baht a month work out.  

It is all relative. Some people are quite  happy living in poverty because they don't know anything else, nor desire to have a different lifestyle. They are fine with low quality living arrangements and poor quality  food.  However, for the vast majority of people, they wish to do more than to exist. They want to live comfortably and to have an enjoyable old age. They want clean water, proper facilities, good quality food, and a healthy environment. They want to be sure that they can access quality health care if something happens, and they don't want to worry about yaba fueled crazies in the neighborhood, or having to put up with noisy neighbors or living next door to Chester the Molester. 20-30-40,000 baht doesn't really get one that, despite all the claims to the contrary. A good quality home costs money. So does  food. So do quality clothes etc.   Claiming that all will be well  at 40,000 is an exercise in denial and self delusion. It won't be , nor can it be in today's Thailand.

Wait a minute "geriatrickid" or whatever you called yourself. Where did you get the informations from? That Thailand doesn't want impoverished retirees. Who exactly doesn't want impoverished farangs let's get things straight, the government of Thailand? The Thai people in general? Or is it your imagination or conjecture?

Look, show me any written form in English or Thai(I will get it translated) that the not so rich retirees are not welcome in Thailand and there is actually covert action to make it difficult for them to live their twilight years in this god forsaken country.

Well, geriatickid I am waiting for your answer. No, no, don't run away. 

Thai people loves farangs who are not so rich because they feel at home with them ,"we same same, no big house , no big car".

Edited by madusa
add more words
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Depends on what Immigration office you went to. 

Did n't need to go to any, came and went on 28 day tourist stamps without any questions from IO at the airports, overstayed as long as i wanted, simply paid the fine on departure, never once hassled in or out during his reign.

Whether it's a coincidence or not since his departure things have slowy became more difficult since he lost power and left. Might just be the country developing though??

This is my very humble opinion only....

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

I think we will see a huge blow up within time and it will not be good for anyone.

I am developing a backup plan now. I just need another three years to get a PR visa for my wife. I really do not want to move her as this is her home and I also like it out in our village but I am not going to be blind enough not to have a Plan A, B or C. 

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Yes for some time I must have been deluded in thinking they did care but after village living now for 7 years, they don't. They would not miss a cent of my income coming in and if I left my wife, it would just be another marriage gone wrong; not at all connected to the fact I was forced out. In Australia, my wife has at least a stream for PR but it takes time but it is possible.

PR for me is impossible here, so I don't even know at times why I bother to care about my local area but I do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I think we will see a huge blow up within time and it will not be good for anyone.

I am developing a backup plan now. I just need another three years to get a PR visa for my wife. I really do not want to move her as this is her home and I also like it out in our village but I am not going to be blind enough not to have a Plan A, B or C. 

Yes for some time I must have been deluded in thinking they did care but after village living now for 7 years, they don't. They would not miss a cent of my income coming in and if I left my wife, it would just be another marriage gone wrong; not at all connected to the fact I was forced out. In Australia, my wife has at least a stream for PR but it takes time but it is possible.

PR for me is impossible here, so I don't even know at times why I bother to care about my local area but I do.

PR is a waste of time here, little if no benifits as i understand it.

Plus it seems to be an intensly long drawn out process that seems to take years.

I agree this place is going down the pan but my biggest question is if not here then where? a very difficult question to answer.

I do not know as well. If the Police Order gets changed and they start asking for obscene amounts of money for a married person to stay here, I will be going. I have not invested much money here - around 1 million. My wife owned her own house before we met and I bought a car and a few bikes. I could shift to another SE Asian Country pretty easy but with the wife, it makes it hard.

If single, Vietnam would have been next for me. 

Thailand is changing for the farang and these pushes will not affect the average Thai at all. The average Thai is just worrying about getting by themselves without other problems. Last night my wife and I went out for our Wedding Anniversary Dinner to a top restaurant. It was a Monday night and it was booming. The high end of town is certainly not missing out and these minor farang issues are not going to worry anyone. We had dinner with a friend that owns an eighty-room Condo Complex and we spoke about the visa issues and she just pointed at the full tables all around us and said, "Who here would care?"
Stop crying. Nothing has been changed unless you have a magical link to pretend news on the thai side?...... Ermmm of course you don't. Now stop freaking your wife out and be a man. Crumbling in front of her is not the answer

12 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
29 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:
I do not know as well. If the Police Order gets changed and they start asking for obscene amounts of money for a married person to stay here, I will be going. I have not invested much money here - around 1 million. My wife owned her own house before we met and I bought a car and a few bikes. I could shift to another SE Asian Country pretty easy but with the wife, it makes it hard.

If single, Vietnam would have been next for me. 

Thailand is changing for the farang and these pushes will not affect the average Thai at all. The average Thai is just worrying about getting by themselves without other problems. Last night my wife and I went out for our Wedding Anniversary Dinner to a top restaurant. It was a Monday night and it was booming. The high end of town is certainly not missing out and these minor farang issues are not going to worry anyone. We had dinner with a friend that owns an eighty-room Condo Complex and we spoke about the visa issues and she just pointed at the full tables all around us and said, "Who here would care?"

Stop crying. Nothing has been changed unless you have a magical link to pretend news on the thai side?...... Ermmm of course you don't. Now stop freaking your wife out and be a man. Crumbling in front of her is not the answer

Wasn't so ridiculous when the yellow/red shirts were shooting in out in the streets in Bangkok. Or when the airport was blocked.

3 hours ago, madusa said:

Wait a minute "geriatrickid" or whatever you called yourself. Where did you get the informations from? That Thailand doesn't want impoverished retirees. Who exactly doesn't want impoverished farangs let's get things straight, the government of Thailand? The Thai people in general? Or is it your imagination or conjecture?

Look, show me any written form in English or Thai(I will get it translated) that the not so rich retirees are not welcome in Thailand and there is actually covert action to make it difficult for them to live their twilight years in this god forsaken country.

Well, geriatickid I am waiting for your answer. No, no, don't run away. 

Thai people loves farangs who are not so rich because they feel at home with them ,"we same same, no big house , no big car".

not a fan of geriatriks holier then thee speeches but,

thaksin went out on television and said 'we dont want low quality falang, we want high quality falang'

translated for anyone familiar with thai classification that means

low quality=poor & high quality=rich

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

The world is not crumbling and neither am I but I think many expats don't get the idea that the Thais don't give a shat about us. Our little expat cash injection here means very little to them. Tourism does. Dry tourism up with a bit of political trouble and the cards come crashing down. People stay away during trying times. Giving Thailand a bad rap is more so in many ways a bigger problem than a few thousand farangs leaving at one time if they cannot meet income requirements. Nothing may have changed but boy, a few things recently have put a fox in the hen house. Many of my friends are scrambling for money now.

Edited by totally thaied up

The world is not crumbling and neither am I but I think many expats don't get the idea that the Thais don't give a shat about us. Our little expat cash injection here means very little to them. Tourism does. Dry tourism up with a bit of political trouble and the cards come crashing down. People stay away during trying times. Giving Thailand a bad rap is more so in many ways a bigger problem than a few thousand farangs leaving at one time if they cannot meet income requirements. Nothing may have changed but boy, a few things recently have put a fox in the hen house. Many of my friends are scrambling for money now.

To be clear, if they met the requirements before, they will likely meet the reconfigured requirements.

8 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you need 3 years to apply for PR?

18 hours ago, poanoi said:

not a fan of geriatriks holier then thee speeches but,

thaksin went out on television and said 'we dont want low quality falang, we want high quality falang'

translated for anyone familiar with thai classification that means

low quality=poor & high quality=rich

Look only idiots listen to Thaksin. He is the Thai that the general thai population wants to get rid and not welcome in Thailand not the low quality farang.

He was speaking for himself. Listen, why is he running away when accused of corruption? Nothing really wrong with farangs in general just that some of them may be bipolar or just got the wrong idea of what Thailand has to offer them. Otherwise nothing bad, the percentage of low quality farangs is very very low we can't put a figure of course because we don't take a survey.

Every country will try to get those foreigners who could no longer take care of themselves either finanically or mentally no longer capable of looking after themselves to go back to their country of origin. This is right and proper thing to do and you can't blame the government for that.

Australia does that all the time. America does that all the time. No big deal.