Kentung possible on a Tachilek border pass?

I'm in Thailand currently on a 30-day visa exempt entry, so plan to go to Tachilek to get another 30 days when I cross back into Thailand (I'm a US citizen). So I thought I'd maybe go to Kengtung for a few days if that's possible on a simple border pass, without Burmese visa. The latest I can find is that foreigners are restricted to the Tachilek area, but I'm wondering if that's changed. Does anybody know? Thanks in advance...

4 hours ago, Hardie said:

The latest I can find is that foreigners are restricted to the Tachilek area, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

Latest I can find is from May this year.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1036484-border-run-mae-sai-tachilek-myanmar/

You have to wait for more answers should something have changed since then.

I didn't come across (and would doubt it).

17 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Latest I can find is from May this year.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1036484-border-run-mae-sai-tachilek-myanmar/

You have to wait for more answers should something have changed since then.

I didn't come across (and would doubt it).

I saw that, yes, thanks, and assume that is the status still, though I notice that there seems to be a lot of Thai tourism along that route, so am a little surprised that they haven't loosened up, since I seriously doubt that the Thais all have visas. I'll ask the Burmese guys when I get there, for future reference...

4 hours ago, Hardie said:

The latest I can find is that foreigners are restricted to the Tachilek area, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

As far as I know it is the same.

I am certain you would not be able to go to Kengtung in Shan state. Even with a visa I think there are restrictions for traveling to there.

I am confident that you cannot travel further than the immediate vicinity of the border on a border pass. In fact, not so long ago, not only did you need a Myanmar visa issued in advance, but also a Myanmar official guide to visit Kengtung. You can now just take a bus.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know it is the same.

I am certain you would not be able to go to Kengtung in Shan state. Even with a visa I think there are restrictions for traveling to there.

Thanks, Joe. When I had a Burmese visa last year I inquired from guest-houses in Kengtung about land transport back to Tachilek, and was under the impression that it was okay, but I changed my plans, anyway, so never tested it... 

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

I am confident that you cannot travel further than the immediate vicinity of the border on a border pass. In fact, not so long ago, not only did you need a Myanmar visa issued in advance, but also a Myanmar official guide to visit Kengtung. You can now just take a bus.

Thanks, good to confirm that...

Not to confuse things but, you used to be able to do this.

NOT anymore. If you want to visit Kengtung you need to get a Myanmar Visa, like you would use to visit Myanmar proper. There is an Myanmar consulate in Chiang Mai now if you would like to do this