New Nissan Teana (Altima) 2019

moogradod

While even the 2018 Camry and 2018 Accord are not on the sales horizon although spoken of for a year or more, Nissan enters with a contender which is extremely interesting: The Nissan Altima (or Teana) 2019. This car outwits its two rivals at least in terms of design by a large margin.

Key question: When may it anticipated for sale in Thailand when the desitribution is due in autumn/winter in the US ? Of course nobody knows exactly, but there may be some experience. Honda and Toyota were ill advised to wait so long with the start of their 2018 models - now many might want to wait for the Nissan to appear before they decide finally.

• Haha 1

The new Camry and Camry hybrid with the new nice body that has been in America for a year and a half will be released here in December this year of January next. Toyota has contacted my wife. 

I am a bit confused on the Altima/Teanna from Nissan as the Altima in America is not a Teanna, I made the mistake of renting an Altima home while home this summer in California. It is in no way a Teanna it is smaller as I found out in the rental car center. Still took it as it was summer and cars are booked. But did not get to test drive a Teanna to compare to our Camry.  

01-2018-toyota-camry-hybrid-detroit-1.jpg

02-2018-toyota-camry-hybrid-detroit-1.jpg

• Haha 1

I believe it is a general consensus around the world that Mercedes Benz is one of the best cars you can buy. And they are not ugly at all. But they are not cheap as well. Finally taste is as individual as the individual itself as is the budget. I would also like to have a Bentley or Rolls if I could afford one.

So if there seem to be some that know so well about this all: Which Sedan Car (not a SUV) would you recommend to buy in Thailand with a budget of THB 2 Mio early in 2019 ? But please omit American Brands - THESE are the ugly and uninteresting ones at least to my taste.

• Like 1

In the US the Altima is the Teana. Exact same car. Any difference you perceive are cosmetic and contrasting effect. "it felt smaller in the US" maybe because the US version has cheaper materials inside and black seats. And it may have felt smaller because you're always surrounded by F-150's and Chevy Tahoes.

The Maxima is a full-size sedan, a segment that only exists in the US - the Maxima is not a Teana and is only sold in the US. The Teana is a mid-size car.

The Maxima competes with the Toyota Avalon, which is also a car sold only in the US. Whereas the Teana competes with the Camry and Accord.

41 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I believe it is a general consensus around the world that Mercedes Benz is one of the best cars you can buy. And they are not ugly at all. But they are not cheap as well. Finally taste is as individual as the individual itself as is the budget. I would also like to have a Bentley or Rolls if I could afford one.

So if there seem to be some that know so well about this all: Which Sedan Car (not a SUV) would you recommend to buy in Thailand with a budget of THB 2 Mio early in 2019 ? But please omit American Brands - THESE are the ugly and uninteresting ones at least to my taste.

If the 2.0T engine in the Accord comes to Thailand I'd recommend that. Proper power for everyday use and reliable 10-speed transmission, or if you want a manual you can swap one in using parts imported from the US one. The Teana will only have the CVT which fails at around 100,000 km and the same old boring 2.5L engine.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2018 at 12:06 AM, newnative said:

It's about time they updated the Teana--very dated looking.   As is the Almera, and the March,  and the X-Trail, and the Sylphy....Seems like they have all been on the market for many years with little in the way of freshening. 

I agree that Nissan doesn't have the most inspirational cars. But very dated is IMO way overdone.

I don't believe there are any plans to refresh the Teana in Thailand at this time. They struggled to sell the thing originally, and they still lag far behind in sales of the accord and camry. Both of these should have new models this year, but both companies are really dragging their feel on their release here - released in the US for a while now. Sadly, no plan for the v6 here. 

So what choice is there for 2019 ? I see:

1. Toyota Camry 2018 Hybrid (sold obviously from the end of this year on)
2. Honda Accord 2018 Hybrid (no idea of release, but would prefer Camry anyway)
3. Nissan Teana 2019. The reason why they dont sell more is obvious - its a lousy design today and has fewer assistant systems - this should change if you believe what is shown on the net It is then really contending Camry and Accord

or even a

4. Mazda 3 Sedan 2018 or 2019 (2018 available now and is cheaper than Camry and Accord with a stunning array of techonlogy on board) - The 2019 model looks more than a car designed for the young. I am 62 and seeking smooth slow riding with a nice interior and only with acceleration if needed. I have driven my sports cars in my life - have had one of these rosso corsa colored ones, nevertheless could not afford a S or E-style Benz these days.

My wife has a much smaller body than myself, she should be able to ride the car effortlessly, too. In fact it is more for her than it is for me.

I do not hope the CVT is really a problem if maintained properly. 100'000 km is nothing for a car nowadays. But manual shift ? Never.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just been at Nissan in Udon Thani today. The sales guy said the new Teana (2019) will not be launched in Thailand because sales figures were too weak in the past. 

Nissan will not continue the Teana in Thailand in the future. Can anybody else confirm this?
Edited by thaimacky