Bangkok Bank Debit cards

Atm kept my Bangkok bank visa debit card and guess what .. they don’t open the machine to recover and replaced with Unionpay. So now can’t buy online PayPal etc ! Cannot use in many shops to pay ... this is Bangkok!! The bank that’s named after after city, cannot use the card ! Eg true shops don’t accept and many others ! Like me I hope many Non Chinese customers close their accounts, because clearly they’re not interested

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Atm kept my Bangkok bank visa debit card and guess what .. they don’t open the machine to recover and replaced with Unionpay. So now can’t buy online PayPal etc ! Cannot use in many shops to pay ... this is Bangkok!! The bank that’s named after after city, cannot use the card ! Eg true shops don’t accept and many others ! Like me I hope many Non Chinese customers close their accounts, because clearly they’re not interested

Very sorry to read about your problems. I believe Bangkok Bank have realized their error (and loss of face) with the Chinese UnionPay through loss of customer support and that is why they are introducing a Mastercard Debit card next year.

• Thanks 1

Just come across this topic ….nice one Op.

I was in my local BB branch last week and enquired about changing my visa debit card to the UP card. TBH, it makes very little difference to me. I was informed by 'my' counter clerk to refrain from changing cards and wait awhile, at least until next year, that's as much as she would say.

Nice girl, always has a smile and speaks understandable English so I will sort of verify that something is in the wind concerning an alternative to the so-called dreaded Union Pay debit card!    

Edited by Madgee
  • Thanks 1

Sure hope this isn't just a rumor "HQ" Bangkok Bank  is telling their employees who in turn leak it out which ends-up getting into social media like ThaiVisa.  A rumor to stall for time....a rumor that may just be in the discussion stage and the bank really has no serious plan to issue a Mastercard debit card. 

This would give their Union Pay/TPN debit card, which is receiving a lot of bad press in social media, more time to accumulate acceptance among merchants and probably tamp down complaints/defections from customers because they think they will be able to get a Mastercard debit card soon.   Then if the Mastercard thing turns out to be rumor after a lot more Thai merchants accept UnionPay then the customer is no longer really upset as their UnionPay card is now widely accepted. 

The wife and I have Bangkok Bank Visa chipped cards good thru Dec 2021. Got those Visa debit cards about a year ago when Bangkok Bank was pushing their UnionPay card really hard, but we insisted on getting a Visa card and they gave it to us. 

Statements on the Bangkok Bank website have changed over time to indicate when their Visa debit cards would stop working....it now says 2019 even for chipped cards but I'm thinking (and hoping) that really only applies to their old style Visa magnetic strip card.   Their statement use to say that last year...that is, applies to their magnetic strip card only....but that has mutated to imply/state it applies to all their Visa debit cards.   

Guess time will tell...maybe they will let all their Visa debit cards (chipped and magnetic) die in 2019 because they plan to have a Mastercard debit card by then...then again maybe........???   Who knows what really lurks in the minds of banksters other than increasing fees whenever and wherever possible.

• Like 1

I live behind Bangkok Bank Headquarters and it used to be that if you accidentally left your card in the ATM machine that you could go to Bank and recover the card a couple of days later. Today we were told that it is now Bank Policy to destroy all cards recovered from ATM machines.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

The Bank deserve no business! I wonder what Thai customers think of scrapping Visa debit and switching to useless union pay ! We know foreigners doesn’t matter !

It likely does not affect many of them that much as they use credit cards for payment and only use the debit as an ATM card (and for that, within Thailand, it works fine).  

I just came back from a groceries run to a couple of stores.  One store I stopped at was large pets supplies store who accept credit/debit cards when purchasing at least Bt1000.  I go to this store a couple times per month.  One thing I notice today was a new sign (large and in red letters....a blind man couldn't miss it) at every checkout and it said "UnionPay Not Accepted."   Probably placed there due to Bangkok Bank UnionPay card customers.

• Like 2

Sure hope this isn't just a rumor "HQ" Bangkok Bank  is telling their employees who in turn leak it out which ends-up getting into social media like ThaiVisa.  A rumor to stall for time....a rumor that may just be in the discussion stage and the bank really has no serious plan to issue a Mastercard debit card. 

This would give their Union Pay/TPN debit card, which is receiving a lot of bad press in social media, more time to accumulate acceptance among merchants and probably tamp down complaints/defections from customers because they think they will be able to get a Mastercard debit card soon.   Then if the Mastercard thing turns out to be rumor after a lot more Thai merchants accept UnionPay then the customer is no longer really upset as their UnionPay card is now widely accepted. 

The wife and I have Bangkok Bank Visa chipped cards good thru Dec 2021. Got those Visa debit cards about a year ago when Bangkok Bank was pushing their UnionPay card really hard, but we insisted on getting a Visa card and they gave it to us. 

Statements on the Bangkok Bank website have changed over time to indicate when their Visa debit cards would stop working....it now says 2019 even for chipped cards but I'm thinking (and hoping) that really only applies to their old style Visa magnetic strip card.   Their statement use to say that last year...that is, applies to their magnetic strip card only....but that has mutated to imply/state it applies to all their Visa debit cards.   

Guess time will tell...maybe they will let all their Visa debit cards (chipped and magnetic) die in 2019 because they plan to have a Mastercard debit card by then...then again maybe........???   Who knows what really lurks in the minds of banksters other than increasing fees whenever and wherever possible.

Yes ! I was told by a Bangkok Bank senior staff member at HQ in Silom that the MasterCard idea was only a maybe ! So it’s all to get customers to hold on and not move their business elsewhere ! Too late I’ve opened Kbank now !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Yes ! I was told by a Bangkok Bank senior staff member at HQ in Silom that the MasterCard idea was only a maybe ! So it’s all to get customers to hold on and not move their business elsewhere ! Too late I’ve opened Kbank now !

Yeap...I would have to agree as I mentioned earlier.   

Businesses will indeed try to get you to hang on in hopes of better, cheaper just down the road.  Example:  Around 20 months on 1 Jan 17 when TrueVisions lost the HBO channels (lost them to AIS) and replaced them lower quality movie channels without any price reduction TrueVisions lost a lot of customers.  I was one of them.  Fortunately AIS Fibre had just come to my village with lower internet prices and much lower cost TV package that included the HBO channels so I was going to switch to AIS Fibre regardless.   Anyway, when cancelling around Jun 17  TrueVisions reps tried to convince me to stay with TrueVisions because they would "probably be lowering" their TrueVision TV package prices in December.  Of course, they never did lower their prices and in fact came out with a 7% price increase on some packages in mid 2017.    I expect the TrueVisions reps had been given guidance/a script to tell customers that "probably lower prices coming soon" just to get customers to hang in there longer, hopefully get over being mad about the channels loss, no reduction in prices....or if nothing else just to hang onto the customers a little longer.

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, I went to the Bangkok Bank branch inside Tesco in Pattaya to retrieve a debit card that had been grabbed by the ATM. While I was sitting at the desk, waiting, I noticed an advertisement for a new Mastercard credit card on the desk. I had my fiancee ask if the bank would offer a Mastercard debit card to replace the Union Pay card. The bank official said it would be three to four months. This is very good news for those of us who have had problems using the Union Pay crapcard. As serious as the Chinese are about finance, you would think they would have firmed up their network before doing a debit card deal with Bangkok Bank. Thus far, I have only been able to use the card at ATMs. It seems no merchant except Seven-Eleven accepts them.

17 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

It seems no merchant except Seven-Eleven accepts them.

Actually there have been recent reports of some other merchants accepting them and have been able to use in several hospitals.  But the number is far less than it should be after all this time.  Expect as chip cards become more common that acceptance will increase (many do not have the required readers yet).

• 10 months later...
Last week I replaced my non working debit card with a mastercard at Bangkok Bank =the fee was 10Bt
Just to confirm did you really mean 10 baht or maybe meant to say 100 baht as 100 baht is the bank's debit card replacement fee in some scenarios.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, Pib said:
On 9/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, Majortit said:
Last week I replaced my non working debit card with a mastercard at Bangkok Bank =the fee was 10Bt

Just to confirm did you really mean 10 baht or maybe meant to say 100 baht as 100 baht is the bank's debit card replacement fee in some scenarios.

I think I paid 100 baht to get my non-functional Union Pay card, changed to a Mastercard. Why would anyone want a Union Pay card???   Useless.