Best​ place for travel gear bkk

Paulinho

Looking for good quality original travel gear. 

Emporium et al just crazy prices. Robinsons linited and not really for travel.... 

Nothing over fancy like northface, more like Lowe alpine and quality rucksack medium size. 

Everything I bought from Street shops has, err, broken quickly. 

I know, I know.... No surprise! 

Anyone know a decent store or place with OK price and quality? 

sure, any outdoor gear brought off the street is likely to end up being a false economy.

the only decent outdoor shop i recall seeing is a north face shop in central world, prices similar to the uk, and the staff know next to nothing about the products.

10 hours ago, samsensam said:

sure, any outdoor gear brought off the street is likely to end up being a false economy.

the only decent outdoor shop i recall seeing is a north face shop in central world, prices similar to the uk, and the staff know next to nothing about the products.

Thanks. 

Do they still sell osprey at sportsworld in paragon? 

Can't even find a number for them on their website. Well I can but both are 8 numbers long. So don't work. 

can we say that all cheap backpacks bought from a street stall is not advisable? I bought a USD10 backpack from a guy in a souk in saudi and it's still going strong after 6 years of hard duty...

but I never expected it to last that long, I must admit...I had cheap stuff fail on me at airports before which is a real drag...fumbling about at security check points and etc...underwear and laptop power cables all over the place...

on the other hand I bought relatively expensive 'brand name' bag some years ago and it died within about 2 years, the zippers came away from the fabric...I bought it at a big chain superstore in saudi so I reckoned that it was genuine...it had lotsa tags attached to the handle...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

can we say that all cheap backpacks bought from a street stall is not advisable? I bought a USD10 backpack from a guy in a souk in saudi and it's still going strong after 6 years of hard duty...

but I never expected it to last that long, I must admit...I had cheap stuff fail on me at airports before which is a real drag...fumbling about at security check points and etc...underwear and laptop power cables all over the place...

on the other hand I bought relatively expensive 'brand name' bag some years ago and it died within about 2 years, the zippers came away from the fabric...I bought it at a big chain superstore in saudi so I reckoned that it was genuine...it had lotsa tags attached to the handle...

If it was a legit brand they would replace it for free

Well I bought one on suk shops. OK for a year and I do put a lot of stuff on but lining ripped and zips came. Off. Other I got ground floor of fortune near main entrance. Promised it was a legit Swiss gera. Great bag. Now handle is coming Way and don't feel like taking risk since if computer and valuables in plus hassle of travelling when baggage breaks is a pain... 

I'll try amari. 

Does aportsworld even exist still in siam paragon? 

I can find their number on Google or their website

Same experience, I've found the cheap knock off stuff in the markets to be quite variable in quality, but the better ones can last for years. I had to get the straps on a "Kipling" backpack I have reinforced after they started to give after a couple of years, but it cost 50 baht from a street corner seamstress and the bag's been good ever since, used it regularly for ten years or more. 

46 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Same experience, I've found the cheap knock off stuff in the markets to be quite variable in quality, but the better ones can last for years. I had to get the straps on a "Kipling" backpack I have reinforced after they started to give after a couple of years, but it cost 50 baht from a street corner seamstress and the bag's been good ever since, used it regularly for ten years or more. 

yeah...the bag I bought from the saudi souk is called 'Eklook' and a couple of years later I was with a dude goin' to the airport on a different project down the Red Sea coast south of Jeddah and he had a look and said 'you get that bag from the souk in Rabigh?' and I said yeah!...he recognized it as it has a distinctive lime green nylon fabric and it was the best bargain in Saudi Arabia...indestructible, thus far...

btw I carry the bag here in Thailand down to the corner shop to get vodka and ice as the nicely snuggle in and I carry some rocks in a side pocket to throw at the soi dogs when they smell a falang coming their way...very handy all around...

au hansard balthazar the backpack...

Archived