Fire destroys 20 Bangkok squatter houses

rooster59

Fire destroys 20 Bangkok squatter houses

By The Nation

A fire swept through a Bangkok squatter community in Thon Buri district late on Friday night, burning down some 20 houses.

Police said the fire broke out at 11.30pm at the community on Soi Taksin 4 in Bang Yi Rua sub-district.

Firefighters took about one and a half hours to control the fast-moving blaze.

Several people were slightly injured after inhaling smoke.

Witnesses said they saw the fire first break out at one house and then spread quickly. The three or four residents at the first house had not yet reported to police at press time on Saturday.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined by police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354017

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-08

18 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Just look who recently bought the houses to demolish them for a new shopping mall.

As per the sanitation of Singapore under Lee quan yuu kampongs just kept burning down ,but the mighty government already had tower blocks vacant for the poor people to move into - now was'nt that A lucky coincidence

2 hours ago, Chassa said:

read the post - squatter community.

I think he is trying to be witty and actually means who has bought the land that these houses sit on and then you will have an idea as to where the fire came from.

It has in the past, been a common practice and a way to rid the land of squatters in many Asia countries for new development without having to worry about any ' rights ' the squatters may deem to have.

The idea is that they will just uproot and move to another area. However, what he is suggesting are pure speculation and conspiracy theories.

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I think he is trying to be witty and actually means who has bought the land that these houses sit on and then you will have an idea as to where the fire came from.

It has in the past, been a common practice and a way to rid the land of squatters in many Asia countries for new development without having to worry about any ' rights ' the squatters may deem to have.

The idea is that they will just uproot and move to another area. However, what he is suggesting are pure speculation and conspiracy theories.

You asked who owned the houses? Have you seen squatters houses in Thailand? Just rusty iron and cardboard. Usually populated by builders labourers - when the job is finished they go anyway. I see many times in Bangkok etc. and I have known some of the populace.

13 minutes ago, Chassa said:

You asked who owned the houses? Have you seen squatters houses in Thailand? Just rusty iron and cardboard. Usually populated by builders labourers - when the job is finished they go anyway. I see many times in Bangkok etc. and I have known some of the populace.

Excuse me!

I DIDN'T ask anything!!! It was the [poster named......... Lupatria

I simply gave an explanation as to the thoughts of the person that made the suggestion regards the land and his possible explanation as to how the fire started.

Yes, of course, I have seen the workers makeshift housing when they are on a building project.

This seems to differ from those, and do not resemble the temporary structures of the Thai constructed ' labour camps ' and have more of a permanent look about them.

It is said and looks to be a ' squatters area ' of which there are many as the poor have been pushed out of the inner city due to development.

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

Breaker failure?

I am assuming your post was an attempt at humour, however, you might be somewhere near the truth if squatter huts, flimsy as they are connected to the mains, had failed to have breakers fitted.

Archived