Taxi fare?

agg211

I had to pay from Don Meuang airport to Sukhumvit soi 57 in total 445 Baht, taxi fare 275, airport tax 50, twice toll road 70 + 50. I haven't been in Bkk for a long time, does the fare sound about right?

And what surprised me, the taxi driver didn't have Google Maps installed. Do most drivers still drive around without such an app?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on the traffic conditions and the time of day also what the meter price said.
I’ve paid about the same for a similar journey but I’ve also paid less.
The airport surcharge is set by the airport and the toll charges are also set, you could take a chance and ask the driver not to use the toll road.
If I were driving that route I wouldn’t be using a gps system, but I know the route, maybe your driver also did.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I haven't travelled that exact route in a taxi but doesn't sound outrageous. Could easily vary anywhere up to fifty baht depending on traffic. Maybe a different route could have avoided tolls but increased your distance and travel time.

I'm a regular taxi user and find very few drivers in Bangkok use Google maps. I've tried to get my wife to use them, did a demo and all but not interested because she knows her way around anyway. For the first time last month I had a driver from Suvarnabhumi who used Google maps and traffic updates. Taxi drivers overall do a pretty good job without them. Many drivers will get their traffic info from the traffic radio.

I have taken about twenty taxi/Grab rides in KL this year and not one driver used Google maps... because they all use Waze...

image.png.f7fa9b3fe12742b0b824b2c8898cb2d2.png

1 hour ago, agg211 said:

I had to pay from Don Meuang airport to Sukhumvit soi 57 in total 445 Baht, taxi fare 275, airport tax 50, twice toll road 70 + 50. I haven't been in Bkk for a long time, does the fare sound about right?

Yeah, that sounds legit. Paid a 240 THB fare from Phrom Phong to DMK a couple months back. And Soi 57 is a bit further down the road. 

Archived