Crackdown On Corruption Promoted As National Agenda

Jai Dee

PM supports the crackdown on corruption as national agenda

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has approved the proposal to arrange activities to prevent and suppress corruption while promoting the crackdown on corruption as a national agenda for this year. The activities will be used as a vehicle to cultivate consciousness.

Mr. Panthep Klanarongran, the chairman of the National Commission to Counter Corruption (NCCC), reported the NCCC’s operation to eradicate corruption to Prime Minister Surayud at the Government House yesterday (Feb 8). Mr. Panthep said he would like the policy to be this year’s national agenda, to celebrate His Majesty the King’s 80th anniversary on December 12th, 2007. He said Gen. Surayud has agreed with the idea.

Mr. Panthep also informed Gen. Surayud about the amendment of the anti-corruption act. He said a subcommittee has been formed to fully manage this issue. The subcommittee will have a discussion with the Ministry of Justice and the Royal Decree Committee on the amendment, to help facilitate the operation of the Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 February 2007

A very long time ago, I used to think corruption wasn't so bad. It seemed like an expedient way to take care of those pesky minor traffic violations and a quick way to get bureaucratic things done.

I now see how wrong I was and how damaging it is, not only to Thailand but far beyond it's borders. Beginning with piracy and the money lost, largely to international companies (I used to think they charged too much anyway) and now extending to the pharmacutical industry and the safety factors involved in the new airport.

It really affects many, many people.

Unfortunately, this is the oldest song in Thailand and the tune never seems to change.

I think the problem as we see it with Western eyes is that corruption is Thailand is so blatant. In the West there is still corruption on a large scale but it seems to be covered up better - in the form of Consultancy fees etc.

It would be a major step forward IF corruption could be cut back in Thailand - but I am not holding my breath waiting.

Peter

:o

Crackdown - when my gf lies on her stomach :D

as one poster poiunted out, colluption is endemic and flows through every seam of LOS. It starts right from kindergarden and becomes an engrained way of life.

When a new law is passed, it is seen as a money making venture, not to be taken seriously

btw someoelse mentioned piracy - this doesnt just apply to DVDs

other fake goods can have serious implications such as

pharmaceuticals (pills dont work so the patient dies)

auto spares (substandard or deliberately spoiled components, fail suddenly of very quickly, eg ball joints on steering linkage, fall apart, no grease in them, vehicle crashes

brand name garments and shoes fall apart after the first wash

and so on

worst still is that these fake good get exported and sold off at genuine prices. Africa is awash with fake drugs

:o

Crackdown - when my gf lies on her stomach :D

as one poster poiunted out, colluption is endemic and flows through every seam of LOS. It starts right from kindergarden and becomes an engrained way of life.

When a new law is passed, it is seen as a money making venture, not to be taken seriously

btw someoelse mentioned piracy - this doesnt just apply to DVDs

other fake goods can have serious implications such as

pharmaceuticals (pills dont work so the patient dies)

auto spares (substandard or deliberately spoiled components, fail suddenly of very quickly, eg ball joints on steering linkage, fall apart, no grease in them, vehicle crashes

brand name garments and shoes fall apart after the first wash

and so on

worst still is that these fake good get exported and sold off at genuine prices. Africa is awash with fake drugs

With this I agree 100%. When the problem spreads to place people in danger, it has gone too far.

The new airport had become a monument to corruption. I think although some posters are saying same same different day, I think this is different. In most cases corruption (dirty laundry) is hidden away and soon forgotten. The gateway to Thailand is a bit difficult to brush under the carpet. That translates to Thaksin causing Thailand to lose face every time a passenger passes through the airport. If a certain teacher can get the visa laws changed by what he said, certainly by what Thaksin did can cause changes too. Let me ask you, would you want an undesirable sign in your front yard for all to see?