Foreign expats in Thailand hail the new electric VIP taxis, claims innovator

webfact

Remarkable thread. Countless threads complaining of pollution and smoke-belching diesel vehicles, and the moment we learn of an effort to provide clean transport the news is met with derision and dismissal. EV Society Co. Ltd. doesn't claim to have invented the vehicle or it's features, and at £47,000/$62,000 a car (UK price) the higher fare may be justified. At the least one could at least hope that this service raises the profile of electric cars in Thailand.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Remarkable thread. Countless threads complaining of pollution and smoke-belching diesel vehicles, and the moment we learn of an effort to provide clean transport the news is met with derision and dismissal. EV Society Co. Ltd. doesn't claim to have invented the vehicle or it's features, and at £47,000/$62,000 a car (UK price) the higher fare may be justified. At the least one could at least hope that this service raises the profile of electric cars in Thailand.

Consider that nearly all Bangkok taxis are powered by LPG while the majority of the electricity in Thailand is generated from oil and soft, high sulphur coal with inadequate emissions control.

• Confused 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, DrTuner said:

Is that some cheapo Malesian copy of the Prius taxis I've seen since what, 3-4years? Thai "innovation" at it's best.

No, Prius aren't EVs.  What's a "Malesian"? 

Thaivisa poster comment at it's best.

Edited by Just Weird

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, Prius aren't EVs.  What's a "Malesian"? 

Right they're hybrids, running on electric while crawling in BKK traffic jams. Malesia produces cheapo cars around here, like the Proton. These seem to be Chinese cheapos.

• Confused 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, bubba said:

So the Thai “innovator” imported 100 cheap Chinese EVs, painted them up as taxis, installed WiFi and titled them VIP taxis. 

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/29/byd-sending-1000-electric-taxis-to-thailand-will-open-battery-recycling-plant-in-china/

Easily worth double the standard meter fare to ride like a VIP in such innovative luxury. 

They are far from "cheap" an, even if you don't, many countries seem to approve of them including the US, UK, European, Asian and South American countries.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, impulse said:

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

Seemed appropriate in this thread...

Nice one. 

Seems appropriate in almost every other thread, too.

1 hour ago, ChristianBlessing said:

That's Thaivisa posters in general for you; don't you just love 'em when they show up their own ignorance?

Edited by Just Weird

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Isn't this a thread about them being used for taxis, not sales to the public?

Has to be. They intended to sell to consumers but apparently that flopped so now they're selling them overpriced as fleet cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_e6

But it does seem like a good match to the Thai taxi scene:

After a high-speed car crashed into a BYD e6 taxi in Shenzhen on May 26, 2012, the electric car caught fire after hitting a tree and all three occupants died in the accident

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

After a high-speed car crashed into a BYD e6 taxi in Shenzhen on May 26, 2012, the electric car caught fire after hitting a tree and all three occupants died in the accident

One reported incident, six years ago is supposed to have some significance or relevance?   You must think that more electric cars catch fire than other types, Dr!

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

One reported incident, six years ago is supposed to have some significance or relevance?   You must think that more electric cars catch fire than other types, Dr!

Yes, I see no mention of them doing anything about it, except whitewashing to "no ploplem". All in all the BYD project looks like a struggling company where Buffet probably burned his fingers. I expect the cars to be sitting on some lot abandoned within less than half a year.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, I see no mention of them doing anything about it, except whitewashing to "no ploplem". All in all the BYD project looks like a struggling company where Buffet probably burned his fingers. I expect the cars to be sitting on some lot abandoned within less than half a year.

I'm sure that the auto and financial industries will appreciate your informed input!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Consider that nearly all Bangkok taxis are powered by LPG while the majority of the electricity in Thailand is generated from oil and soft, high sulphur coal with inadequate emissions control.

You're absolutely correct, and an electric car is not likely to make a difference. However, it's a step forward.

You are obviously not well informed...

BYD has achieved top rankings of J.D Power's Quality Study. [5] BYD has been awarded The Top Crash Facility Award of the year 2013. [6] It also has a 50:50 joint venture with Daimler AG, Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd., which develops and manufactures luxury electric cars sold under the Denza brand.

BYD Auto sold a total of 506,189 passenger cars in China in 2013, making it the tenth-largest selling brand and the largest selling Chinese brand.[7] In 2015, BYD Auto was the best selling global electric vehicle brand, ahead of Luxgen. For a second year running, BYD was the world's top selling plug-in electric car manufacturer with over 100,000 units delivered in 2016. In October 2016, BYD Auto became the all-time second largest global plug-in car manufacturer ahead of Luxgen.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, wotsdermatter said:

This is rather a complicates story to unravel as Ányos Jedlik, a Hungarian, in 1828 invented an early type of electric motor, while Thomas Davenport,  in 1834, in the U.S.A., invented a vehicle that ran on an electrical track.  However, the first real and practical electric car may have been built by either Robert Anderson, a Scot, sometime between1832 and 1839, the exact date has never been truly established, who made an electric conveyance, that ran on batteries that were not rechargeable or an English man, Thomas Parker in 1884.  However, it is generally thought that the latter person invented and produced the first real electric car.

Having said all that,  the comment by AtoZ is incorrect as no mention in the article states that a Thai was the first to produce an electric car, only that he is an "innovator" which means doing something different or doing something that has never been done before.  Well, the Thai does not qualify on that count as electric cars have already been introduced in Johannesburg, Lisbon, London, Lisbon, Madrid, and Paris and will soon be in Portland, but at least he's trying something new in Thailand.

What does need to be introduced is a meter that cannot be tampered with and automatically turn on as a passenger enters the taxi.

'nuf sed

Somebody tell the Yanks about Nikolai Tesla

10 hours ago, CLW said:

You are obviously not well informed...

BYD has achieved top rankings of J.D Power's Quality Study. [5] BYD has been awarded The Top Crash Facility Award of the year 2013. [6] It also has a 50:50 joint venture with Daimler AG, Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd., which develops and manufactures luxury electric cars sold under the Denza brand.

BYD Auto sold a total of 506,189 passenger cars in China in 2013, making it the tenth-largest selling brand and the largest selling Chinese brand.[7] In 2015, BYD Auto was the best selling global electric vehicle brand, ahead of Luxgen. For a second year running, BYD was the world's top selling plug-in electric car manufacturer with over 100,000 units delivered in 2016. In October 2016, BYD Auto became the all-time second largest global plug-in car manufacturer ahead of Luxgen.

Ah wikipedia quotes, might want to add the relevant one:

China subsidizes oil (an incentive for the State to encourage use and manufacture of electric cars), and Chinese automakers see opportunities in less mature electric vehicles because Western companies have yet to develop much of a lead in the technology.[13] 

State subsidies to wonders for sales (and politicians pockets). Just ask Tesla, another one that wouldn't exist without them. Might want to ask how come you don't see BYDs filling the western roads.

That JD Powers thing has strange cars in it apart from the Mazda 6, must be some very narrow Chinese segment: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/byd-ranks-at-top-of-jd-powers-quality-study-300178747.html . Nice carage they got for smashing the cars in though: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131118005484/en/BYD-Wins-ATTI-Crash-Test-Facility-Year

Anything that comes from China, especially data and claims, is to be treated with extreme prejudice (If you don't believe me, ask the SEC about reverse mergers). The references reek of the usual start-up style "let' dig up some obscure local news, spin & tweet them and we're golden". 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 7:20 AM, Darcula said:

Like the Toyota Altis taxis that were rebadged as Limo.

Before you sneer at that, that was a Toyota designation for a lower trim Altis or Vios that was produced specifically for use as a taxi.  Not only Thailand but also for Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines.  It was stripped of any "luxuries" that a normal buyer would want, tuned for fuel efficiency over performance, and some other changes such as longer service intervals.

Nobody was pretending is was a Cadillac Limousine or trying to claim it was anything else other than a stripped down Toyota taxi.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Nobody was pretending is was a Cadillac Limousine or trying to claim it was anything else other than a stripped down Toyota taxi.

That must've been why they chose 'Limo'. Next up must be some 2-seater eggshell 5kW turtle with 'Gran Turismo' in the badge. Suit Thailand well though, the upcoming Somcai racers will lap it up.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, rkidlad said:

To be fair, the bar is set very low. As long as my taxi driver takes me to where I wanna go, turns the meter on and doesn't drive like a complete f****** idiot, I'm impressed. 

id  just say "doesnt like drive an idiot" would be enuff for me!!

On 9/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, CLW said:

What is so luxury and VIP about them?

The interior is equal to the regular ones.
I can get water and wet wipes at any 7-11 inside the airport so are SIM cards or WiFi.

My word you really are a negative miserable bugger aren't you.  Of course tourists coming off a long flight and wanting to head to their hotel will not appreciate being offered cold water, wet wipes or WiFi in their taxi.  They'll obviously just be perplexed thinking, "I could have gone upstairs at the airport to the 7-Eleven (that I didn't know was there) to get water and wet wipes.  Plus I could easily have queued up to get a SIM card then used my own data rather than using his WiFi.  And this interior is equal to a petrol powered taxi.  Can't wait to tell my friends how ridiculous Thailand is when I get back home, they won't believe this!"

You forgot to mention they could have rented their own car too, they may as well not have taxis at all.