Yee recommend MS Windows 10 OEM Key ONLY -- from Lazada.co.th -- as 1_1_ genuine, & also 1_2_ safe VERSUS Intrusion ?

Our Man in the Tropics

Dear Fellow Thaivisa.com Posters,

1_

Do yee recommend MS Windows 10 OEM Key ONLY -- from Lazada.co.th -- as :

1_1_

genuine ?

1_2_

safe VERSUS Intrusion ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ref.

www.lazada.co.th

Insert the following string into search field ;

microsoft AND windows AND 10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanking yee all in advance for your constructive replies,

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

Your post barely makes any sense.

But in any case, as long as you use clean installation media, e.g. downloaded from Microsoft's servers, the key has no effect on the security of the install.

So the worst that can happen is that the key doesn't work or that is gets blacklisted.

Microsoft want everyone to move over to Windows 10, so I wouldn't worry yourself about it.

Hi Kneedeep,

Ref.

Your reply to me [ Post # 2 ]

Apologies that my wording of the query barely make sense for u.

Perhaps :

1_

I kept it too brief ?

2_

my communication "only just-about" had the necessary information about Lazada.co.th offerings of MS Windows Operating System for each of knowledgeable readers to understand the situation as u understand it ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I notice on Lazada.co.th very cheap prices for MS Windows 10

So cheap that :

x_

I tempted to buy at least 1

y_

I suspect that  the cheap Keys are :

z_1_

bogus

or

z_2_

they are "Trojan" software

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

20 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi Kneedeep,

Ref.

Your reply to me [ Post # 2 ]

Apologies that my wording of the query barely make sense for u.

Perhaps :

1_

I kept it too brief ?

2_

my communication "only just-about" had the necessary information about Lazada.co.th offerings of MS Windows Operating System for each of knowledgeable readers to understand the situation as u understand it ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I notice on Lazada.co.th very cheap prices for MS Windows 10

So cheap that :

x_

I tempted to buy at least 1

y_

I suspect that  the cheap Keys are :

z_1_

bogus

or

z_2_

they are "Trojan" software

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

I can only repeat what I have written. A key cannot change a legitimate install to 'Trojan software'.

If they don't send you an actual key, request a refund. It's hardly a large amount of money.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

If they don't send you an actual key, request a refund. It's hardly a large amount of money.

1_

Just a Microsoft "Serial Number" supplied by  the seller to be inputted is sufficient as "consideration" from seller ?

2_

Any steps directed by the seller for buyer to perform in other than actual Microsoft website :

2_1_

is "suspicious" ?

& thus

2_2_

merits "request a refund" ? 

With your latest post, to acquire MS operating  system [ Windows 10 ] appears in increasingly promising. 

By the way ;

I am very surprised that Windows 7 is still being sold ;

In Fortune Tower, it is available at a "not cheap" price even.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

13 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

1_

Just a Microsoft "Serial Number" supplied by  the seller to be inputted is sufficient as "consideration" from seller ?

2_

Any steps directed by the seller for buyer to perform in other than actual Microsoft website :

2_1_

is "suspicious" ?

& thus

2_2_

merits "request a refund" ? 

With your latest post, to acquire MS operating  system [ Windows 10 ] appears in increasingly promising. 

By the way ;

I am very surprised that Windows 7 is still being sold ;

In Fortune Tower, it is available at a "not cheap" price even.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Seriously...what is this madness? ?

Buy it or don't buy it.

What is the need for post after post over such a small thing? Too much time on your hands?

Do you need/want Windows 7 or Windows 10?

14 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Seriously...what is this madness? ?

Buy it or don't buy it.

What is the need for post after post over such a small thing? Too much time on your hands?

Do you need/want Windows 7 or Windows 10?

1_

My primary concern is about the hazard of any of these offers on Lazada.co.th being malware ;

But, following the replies here,- now I am much more confident of they being OK.

Thanks for that.

My secondary concern is about the cost of MS Windows 10 sold into-the-hand at vendors in Thailand.

I think it costs around THB 5 k ;

Regrettably,- I cannot afford that this week.

Hence,- I seriously must consider the OEM "Only-the-Key" offers on Lazada.co.th.

2_

I want Windows 10.

I think that it is fair to say that Windows 7 is a foolish purchase now that there is no support from MS.

Today, I will order Windows 10 from Lazada.co.th

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

1 hour ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

My secondary concern is about the cost of MS Windows 10 sold into-the-hand at vendors in Thailand.

I think it costs around THB 5 k ;

You download Media creation tool ( is.gd/iIYEtC ) here, it's legal and, as said above, buy a key  on EBay, about 3 or 4 euros 

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem with buying cheap Windows keys from third party vendors is they are almost all volume licence keys and could cause you problems if you try using retail upgrade channels in the future. Or, at least, that was the case with all previous versions of Windows.

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

The main problem with buying cheap Windows keys from third party vendors is they are almost all volume licence keys and could cause you problems if you try using retail upgrade channels in the future. Or, at least, that was the case with all previous versions of Windows.

IF that turns out to be the case, why bother "using retail upgrade channels in the future" ?

When the time time comes, IF it's a problem repeat what you've done here, scrub the machine and reinstall. But in any event, Win 10 is likely to be with us for a very long time - you just get Cumulative (Quality) Updates regularly, and Feature Updates twice annually - there's one due from version 1803 to 1809 very soon.

As long as you see this in CP > System, (with a Product ID beneath it) you're good to go.

image.png.f7b1eb7d54d0fb6de6473b60ba881048.png

To the OP - your concerns about buying a key from an online retailer are groundless. That part of the procedure is not going to install any software with or without Trojans / viruses - by the time you get to needing it, you've already started (or completed) the installation.      (See advice from @KneeDeep in Post #2 - ignoring THAT might expose you to Trojans / viruses)

All you're buying is an email with a number in it - the number representing the "licence" or "activation code", as you wish. You will simply type (or cut and paste) the number into a box when Windows installation asks for it. I have several Windows and Office installations set up in precisely the same way.

Your ONLY fear regarding the OEM key is is will it work or won't it? That's IT. If it doesn't, you get a refund. I've had that happen to me once - got on to the retailer who promptly sent me an email with another key in it - job done!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Dear VBF,

Along with the other helpful replies on this thread, I am very thankful for your excellent post.

I have received 2 Keys from seller on Lazada.co.th.

When I have finished backing up the relevant computers I will attend to installation of MS Windows 10, & then return to report the results.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

• Thanks 1

@ VBF,

I feel need to request of you an explanation of this passage because I am confused about it ;

That part of the procedure is not going to install any software with or without Trojans / viruses - by the time you get to needing it, you've already started (or completed) the installation.      (See advice from @KneeDeep in Post #2 - ignoring THAT might expose you to Trojans / viruses)

vis.

1_

" or without Trojans / viruses "

2_

the time you get to needing it, you've already started (or completed) the installation.

3_

(See advice from @KneeDeep in Post #2 - ignoring THAT might expose you to Trojans / viruses)

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

The License Key you buy and the software package you download from Microsoft are two separate items. The license is just a string of numbers and letters that the software installation from Microsoft will either accept as legitimate or reject; it can't install any virus, malware or trojan, it's just a license key.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

@ VBF,

I feel need to request of you an explanation of this passage because I am confused about it ;

That part of the procedure is not going to install any software with or without Trojans / viruses - by the time you get to needing it, you've already started (or completed) the installation.      (See advice from @KneeDeep in Post #2 - ignoring THAT might expose you to Trojans / viruses)

vis.

1_

" or without Trojans / viruses "

2_

the time you get to needing it, you've already started (or completed) the installation.

3_

(See advice from @KneeDeep in Post #2 - ignoring THAT might expose you to Trojans / viruses)

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

@Our Man in the Tropics In no particular order:

The licence key CANNOT install anything including Trojans or viruses - Read carefully what @Stocky said in #14 - "The License Key you buy and the software package you download from Microsoft are two separate items. The licence etc........"  CORRECT

What I was emphasising  was that in post #2 @KneeDeep said ..... "use clean installation media, e.g. downloaded from Microsoft's servers"  ALSO CORRECT 

By that is meant don't just grab Windows from any old supplier because it's cheap or free!  Example - one can obtain Windows from Torrent sites which might end in .ru!!! That is to be avoided IMO.

Have a careful read of  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10   Start with "Create Windows 10 installation media" and study it in detail.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Hi VBF

Ref.

The following passages from u :

the software package you download from Microsoft are two separate items. The licence etc........"  CORRECT

What I was emphasising  was that in post #2 @KneeDeep said ..... "use clean installation media, e.g. downloaded from Microsoft's servers"  ALSO CORRECT 

Have a careful read of  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, here are my various situations :

1_

Toshiba Netbook Computer

Intel Atom N2800

1.86 GHz

2 GB RAM

Presently ;

MS Windows 7 Starter installed ;

Courtesy of Service Centre or Vendor ; 

I not sure who supplied current MS OS 7.

Message displaying in corner of Desktop ;

Windows 

Build 7601

This Copy of Windows is not genuine

I wish to have "for sure" Genuine MS OS 10 ;

Especially so as to benefit from longer forecast of having MS Security Essentials

2_

Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBD

The following has Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Logo in "About" Window ;

Intel i3-5005U

2 GHz

Quad-Core

Intel HD Graphics 5500 [ Broadwell GT2 ]

OS Type ; 64 Bit

Disk ; 0 Bytes

Presently ;

SSD inserted as replacement for original Hard-Drive, & Linux_Ubuntu as Live O.S. from DVD.

I did so for to overcome not being able to get access with "true" administrator password, & since that decision I able to retrieve my documents from the original Hard Drive.

3_

New HP Notebook Computer

CGOFUIR

Intel Pentium N3710

1.6 ghZ

4 GB RAM

64 Bit OS, x64 based Processor

No Operating System installed prior to purchase ;

Some 3 months ago, 30 Day Trial-Version Windows 10 Pro [ Version 1709 ] was installed by HP Service Centre.

I never used it since that event.

Just turned it on now.

Notification in Settings ; Change Product Key or Upgrade ur Edition of Windows.

Presently ;

MS Windows 10 Pro ;

I not sure if still working

I have decided not to start using it lest I start the 30 Days from then ;

Even though I thought the 30 Days started from Time-Pt. that HP Service Centre installed it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Question ;

Having read the Link u gave -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 -- & wishing to avoid Bit Torrent etc,, I have doubts that it possible to successfully install Windows 10 at no further cost other than paying Technician for their help.

The Link refers to Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10 as the existing condition on computer for successfully using new Windows 10 Installation Key.

For sure, Lenovo Computer above [ 2_ ] has no Operating System [ other than Ubuntu available to be installed from DVD ].

Apologies for length of this post ;

But,- I think it necessarily so informative.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

2 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi VBF

Ref.

the software package you download from Microsoft are two separate items. The licence etc........"  CORRECT

What I was emphasising  was that in post #2 @KneeDeep said ..... "use clean installation media, e.g. downloaded from Microsoft's servers"  ALSO CORRECT 

Have a careful read of  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

1_

Toshiba Netbook Computer

Intel Atom N2800

1.86 GHz

2 GB RAM

Presently ;

Windows 

Build 7601

Especially so as to benefit from longer forecast of having MS Security Essentials

2_

Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBD

Intel 

Presently ;

SSD inserted as replacement for original Hard-Drive, & Linux_Ubuntu as Live O.S. from DVD.

I did so for to overcome not being able to get access with "true" administrator password, & since that decision I able to retrieve my documents from the original Hard Drive.

3_

New HP Notebook Computer

CGOFUIR

Intel Pentium N3710

1.6 ghZ

4 GB RAM

Some 3 months ago, 30 Day Trial-Version Windows 10 Pro [ Version 1709 ] was installed by HP Service Centre.

Just turned it on now.

Presently ;

MS Windows 10 Pro ;

Even though I thought the 30 Days started from Time-Pt. that HP Service Centre installed it.

Question ;

Having read the Link u gave -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 -- & wishing to avoid Bit Torrent etc,, I have doubts that it possible to successfully install Windows 10 at no further cost other than paying Technician for their help.

The Link refers to Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10 as the existing condition on computer for successfully using new Windows 10 Installation Key.

For sure, Lenovo Computer above [ 2_ ] has no Operating System [ other than Ubuntu available to be installed from DVD ].

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Your questions are rather hard to follow and, I believe You didn't read the link carefully.!!!

It matters NOT what's on the PC now. Follow the instructions in the link to Create Windows Installation Media (as it tells you!)

Follow the part about "Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10."

You want a clean installation NOT an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 as long as you'be got all your data backed up. IMPORTANT!!!!

So back your existing PC up (did I mention that is IMPORTANT!!!!!   - I assume that's what you meant about using Unix to be "able to retrieve my documents from the original Hard Drive."  THAT is an excellent trick, by the way.

Once you've got all your personal stuff parked somewhere safe, then completely "trash" the PC and install Windows 10 AS IF IT WAS A NEW COMPUTER! This is the same as a clean installation.   NOTE - this will remove any programs you may have installed but you said above that you weren't using the PC at present.  You also mentioned "no operating system" - this is the reason we perform a clean installation

Carefully read the paragraphs:

It's all there - you will then end up with a current copy of Windows 10 (from Microsoft!) but which is NOT licenced..

At that point enter your licence code (the number you purchased from your favourite online store) 

You will then end up with a current copy of Windows 10 which IS licenced.

if you have doubts that you need to enlist a technician's help, that might be the way to go. I can only tell you that my suggestions work if you pay close attention and I will repeat.....you have backed your existing PC up IMPORTANT!!!!! (Am I getting too repetitive for you?)

In that situation, if you get it wrong, you won't break anything - it just won't work so you will have to try again. It is VERY useful to have access to a second PC whilst you're working on the first - at least you can then search online for help.

Get all your media together as per the link, have a night's sleep, brew some coffee, switch the phone off to avoid distractions  and tread boldly!

VBF

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 8:31 PM, VBF said:

IF that turns out to be the case, why bother "using retail upgrade channels in the future" ?

When the time time comes, IF it's a problem repeat what you've done here, scrub the machine and reinstall. But in any event, Win 10 is likely to be with us for a very long time - you just get Cumulative (Quality) Updates regularly, and Feature Updates twice annually - there's one due from version 1803 to 1809 very soon.

As long as you see this in CP > System, (with a Product ID beneath it) you're good to go.

image.png.f7b1eb7d54d0fb6de6473b60ba881048.png

I don't really understand your reply. How would scrubbing your machine and reinstalling help you to upgrade unless you purchased another cheap volume licence for the upgrade? I can't, of course, predict what Microsoft will do in the future but I do know what they've done in the past.

I lost my original retail key for Windows 8 after I'd scrubbed my machine a few years back and purchased a key from an online vendor in the USA - a key they claimed was a valid retail key -  as it seemed the most expedient way out of my predicament at the time. However, when I tried to update to Windows 8.1, I was unable to do so online as my key was in fact from a volume license and I was stuck. I ended up having to open a Visa dispute against the company that sold me the key to get my money back. I never did solve my problem completely as my current Windows 10 installation does not say it is activated. Hence, I wanted to share my experience with the OP. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Lazada due to their unwillingness to actually back up their claim of having a zero tolerance for counterfeit goods being sold on their website.

Edited by Mark1066

5 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I don't really understand your reply. How would scrubbing your machine and reinstalling help you to upgrade unless you purchased another cheap volume licence for the upgrade? I can't, of course, predict what Microsoft will do in the future but I do know what they've done in the past.

I lost my original retail key for Windows 8 after I'd scrubbed my machine a few years back and purchased a key from an online vendor in the USA - a key they claimed was a valid retail key -  as it seemed the most expedient way out of my predicament at the time. However, when I tried to update to Windows 8.1, I was unable to do so online as my key was in fact from a volume license and I was stuck. I ended up having to open a Visa dispute against the company that sold me the key to get my money back. I never did solve my problem completely as my current Windows 10 installation does not say it is activated. Hence, I wanted to share my experience with the OP. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Lazada due to their unwillingness to actually back up their claim of having a zero tolerance for counterfeit goods being sold on their website.

Sadly your experience was negative - possibly you chose the wrong online seller. I have no experience of Lazada so can't comment on them.

I can only speak for what I along with several people i know, have done with other online sellers - especially one that might be associated with a rain forest!

(See the final paragraph of my post 11 - problem occurred, sorted within hours)

As for scrubbing the machine, I'd rather do that than upgrade if I've any doubts as to what's on the machine. Sort of a "clean start".

Either way you have to pay for a licence - UNLESS the upgrade is officially free (as was Win 7 to Win10 in the early days) then upgrading makes more sense.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 3:50 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi VBF

Ref.

1_

Toshiba Netbook Computer

Intel Atom N2800

1.86 GHz

2 GB RAM

Presently ;

Windows 

Build 7601

2_

Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBD

The following has Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Logo in "About" Window ;

Intel i3-5005U

2 GHz

Quad-Core

Intel HD Graphics 5500 [ Broadwell GT2 ]

OS Type ; 64 Bit

Disk ; 0 Bytes

Presently ;

3_

New HP Notebook Computer

CGOFUIR

Intel Pentium N3710

1.6 ghZ

4 GB RAM

Just turned it on now.

Presently ;

MS Windows 10 Pro ;

Question ;

But,- I think it necessarily so informative.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Ok, I'll deal with each machine separately, so as to not add to the confusion.

Do try to respond promptly, so that we can update all of the devices as soon as possible.

Firstly the Toshiba;

Well need to check if it was supplied with a licence or not.

In order to do so; Download and save SLIC Toolkit to the Toshiba device. Once saved, right click on the downloaded file and choose 'Run As Administrator'.

The Interface will open. I need to see the information under the Advanced tab. Such as this; 

5286.jpg

Do you know how to utilise Print Scree or the Snipping Tool in order to post a screenshot?

Once again, I would suggest that you follow the instructions without question, as I don't want to spend more time on this as is absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

You issue can be fixed if you are interested in doing so, but best for you to start your own thread, with the model details of your device and I'll deal with it there.

If your device was supplied with any genuine OS in the past, from Vista onwards, you will be able to have a genuine fully activated Windows OS at no further cost. But you'll need follow the a specific path.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

You issue can be fixed if you are interested in doing so, but best for you to start your own thread, with the model details of your device and I'll deal with it there.

If your device was supplied with any genuine OS in the past, from Vista onwards, you will be able to have a genuine fully activated Windows OS at no further cost. But you'll need follow the a specific path.

Thank you for your kind offer but the machine is a desktop built to order from parts and didn’t come with a valid copy of Windows. I bought a Windows 8 upgrade license on the day that came out and that’s the key I subsequently lost. As far as I’m aware, the only way to rectify the problem is to reinstall Windows 8, enter the key if I can obtain it again, and then upgrade the installation. Since I can’t be bothered to reinstall all my programs to get an activated copy, I’m just going to leave it as it is. It’s an old machine and I’ll probably replace it in the next year.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:33 AM, KneeDeep said:

Do try to respond promptly, so that we can update all of the devices as soon as possible.

Hi Knee Deep,

I deeply appreciate the very keen knowledgeable help from u, & others on this matter ;

And, likewise on associated matters that I have started threads on prior.

Important to say that I am delayed in being able to attending to the 'obtaining "clean" MS Windows 10 Installation Media' because I meanwhile needing to use the 2 "used" laptops for to tidy up all my data now.

It is part of my backup actually.

And the data even at a higher level is very mixed up in its categories ;

I am extracting each category of data onto separate external drives ;

Each drive dedicated to 1 category only.

And, I am then copying each drive.

I need to do all this & virus check after on Toshiba machine [ "Y" below ], Operating Sys. as is presently, before I start using that data on my "clean" installations that I accomplish later.

Perhaps I will start doing a clean installation tomorrow ;

But, I will need technician on hand to help me in following ur recommendation & VBFs too ;

Lest I get flustered from the "uncertain" & / or "ambiguous" English of many a MS communication -- eg MS Dialogue Boxes -- during any process ;

And, this I confess even though English is a 1st-Language for me.

Talented + experienced technician should have knowledgeable understanding to follow the advice given here to me.

But, of course, ahead of following ur guidance,- I must re-read for proper understanding the links that yee inserted for my attention to personally know thus sharply prior to pursuing the big brave acquisition > installation of "clean" MS Win. 10 Installation Media.

I gather from VBF's response that my initial reading of a supplied by VBF was wrong ;

I had understood the link is basing installation MS Win. 10 as upgrade only ;

i.e.

Not a "clean" installation ;

Clean installation being my wish, & VBF's clear instruction.

And, each of my 3 machines is different in their existing Operating Sys. situations :

X [ Lenovo ] has Ubuntu only now.

Y [ Toshiba ] has Windows 7 [ Starter, ... I think ] only now 

And,- with this message in bottom right hand side corner ;

Windows 

Build 7601

Z [ HP ] has MS Win. 10 Pro [ see below ] now.

No Operating System was installed at purchase some 3 months ago.

Within a week of purchase,- 30 Day Trial-Version Windows 10 Pro [ Version 1709 ] was installed by HP Service Centre.

Upon turning on the machine the other day,- I get this ;

Notification in Settings ; 

Change Product Key or Upgrade ur Edition of Windows.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, I humbly posit that this very topic is relevant to a very large percentage of computer owners in LOS [ Foreigners & Thai ].

All helpful knowledgeable contributers in this thread will have helped a great many who eventually read it.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

6 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Thank you for your kind offer but the machine is a desktop built to order from parts and didn’t come with a valid copy of Windows. I bought a Windows 8 upgrade license on the day that came out and that’s the key I subsequently lost. As far as I’m aware, the only way to rectify the problem is to reinstall Windows 8, enter the key if I can obtain it again, and then upgrade the installation. Since I can’t be bothered to reinstall all my programs to get an activated copy, I’m just going to leave it as it is. It’s an old machine and I’ll probably replace it in the next year.

Actually, that isn't the only way. There are two other options. One is to simply enter a valid key. The other is a clean install, no need for the Windows 8 key.

But since you seem reluctant to do either, it will stay the way it is.

Out of interest, how old is the machine? Rather than buying a new one, it might be worth simply fitting a solid state drive to it.

That will bring the dual advantage of improving the performance considerably and giving the opportunity of a clean install to the SSD, potentially resolving any issue with activation.

The SSD will act as your primary boot drive and your current HDD can be your secondary, for storage.

No chance to lose any data, as the current drive will remain as is.

So instead of spending 10,000 baht plus on a new PC, you can simply refurbish the current device for perhaps 2000 baht.

If it is interest to you, begin your own thread and I'll guide you through the process.

4 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi Knee Deep,

I deeply appreciate the very keen knowledgeable help from u, & others on this matter ;

And, likewise on associated matters that I have started threads on prior.

Important to say that I am delayed in being able to attending to the 'obtaining "clean" MS Windows 10 Installation Media' because I meanwhile needing to use the 2 "used" laptops for to tidy up all my data now.

It is part of my backup actually.

And the data even at a higher level is very mixed up in its categories ;

I am extracting each category of data onto separate external drives ;

Each drive dedicated to 1 category only.

And, I am then copying each drive.

I need to do all this & virus check after on Toshiba machine [ "Y" below ], Operating Sys. as is presently, before I start using that data on my "clean" installations that I accomplish later.

Perhaps I will start doing a clean installation tomorrow ;

But, I will need technician on hand to help me in following ur recommendation & VBFs too ;

Lest I get flustered from the "uncertain" & / or "ambiguous" English of many a MS communication -- eg MS Dialogue Boxes -- during any process ;

And, this I confess even though English is a 1st-Language for me.

Talented + experienced technician should have knowledgeable understanding to follow the advice given here to me.

But, of course, ahead of following ur guidance,- I must re-read for proper understanding the links that yee inserted for my attention to personally know thus sharply prior to pursuing the big brave acquisition > installation of "clean" MS Win. 10 Installation Media.

I gather from VBF's response that my initial reading of a supplied by VBF was wrong ;

I had understood the link is basing installation MS Win. 10 as upgrade only ;

i.e.

Not a "clean" installation ;

Clean installation being my wish, & VBF's clear instruction.

And, each of my 3 machines is different in their existing Operating Sys. situations :

X [ Lenovo ] has Ubuntu only now.

Y [ Toshiba ] has Windows 7 [ Starter, ... I think ] only now 

And,- with this message in bottom right hand side corner ;

Windows 

Build 7601

Z [ HP ] has MS Win. 10 Pro [ see below ] now.

No Operating System was installed at purchase some 3 months ago.

Within a week of purchase,- 30 Day Trial-Version Windows 10 Pro [ Version 1709 ] was installed by HP Service Centre.

Upon turning on the machine the other day,- I get this ;

Notification in Settings ; 

Change Product Key or Upgrade ur Edition of Windows.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, I humbly posit that this very topic is relevant to a very large percentage of computer owners in LOS [ Foreigners & Thai ].

All helpful knowledgeable contributers in this thread will have helped a great many who eventually read it.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Take a deep breath....

You don't need to back anything up at this stage.

If you want a machine with which to perform, you can work from the HP.

Windows 10 Pro version 1709 should still work regardless of whether you enter a product key or not.

So you can use that to download and create the media in preparation for a clean install later.

Secondly, you don't need to back anything up from the Toshiba, because I recommend that you remove the HDD completely and replace it with a solid state drive. 

So all of your data will be intact on the old HDD. You can place the old HDD in an inexpensive hard drive enclosure, such as one of these. Then you will have all of the data on another external drive, ready to access whenever you have the time.

The Toshiba device will be far more pleasant in use with SSD fitted.

But firstly, you need to run the software on the Toshiba and report back as requested. Forget about backing up data right now.

Once again, I suggest a no to any technician installing software on any device. Fitting of the parts is fine, as you can verify they have fitted the SSD. Software, no. Easy enough to do it yourself.

Before you connect to the Internet on the HP, turn the device on and type; Windows Update settings. You will be presented to the path of such. Click on the Windows Update settings link and then click on Advanced. 

There you can use these typical settings to defer any updates from being installed to the laptop for the time being;

10.jpg.ba3c443375791a1cbd28f7e53effa1b8.jpg

Otherwise, you won't be able to do anything, as the device will be busy to trying to update itself. Once completed, you can connect to the Internet in order to prepare your installation media.

• Like 1