Thai To Transfer Most Local Flights To Nok Air

Jai Dee

THAI to transfer most local flights to Nok Air

Thai Airways International (THAI) will transfer most domestic services to its no-frills subsidiary Nok Air and focus on international flights in response to the government's policy to reopen Don Muang as Bangkok's second international airport. THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said the board agreed on Thursday to transfer non-connecting domestic flights, which made up the majority of its domestic services, to Nok Air at Don Muang in order to minimise costs of the return of its domestic service to the airport.

THAI will retain only domestic flights that connect with international ones for operation at Suvarnabhumi airport and will emphasise international services.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Airline to hand most domestic flights to budget arm

Thai Airways International (THAI) will transfer most domestic services to its no-frills subsidiary Nok Air and focus on international flights in response to the government's "confused" policy to reopen Don Muang as Bangkok's second international airport.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said the board agreed on Thursday to transfer non-connecting domestic flights, which made up the majority of its domestic services, to Nok Air at Don Muang in order to minimise costs of the return of its domestic service to the airport.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

THAI will retain only domestic flights that connect with international ones for operation at Suvarnabhumi airport and will emphasise international services.

Opportunists, that lot. THAI has been wanting to shed all of their "extraneous" domestic operations for some time. This affords them the chance to do so under the guise of cooperating with the AOT in solving the new airport's problems.

Domestic flights on THAI airways, economy class, always seemed better than the no-frills flights on Nok Air. The national flag carrier flights give you an assigned seat, a courtesy soft drink or snack, and some attention. Nok, nothing. (Still, Nok is luxurious compared to the cattle-cars operated by Ryan Air).

I guess as long as they still call it Nok, rather than THAI CHEAP, it won't tarnish the image.

another option?

SGA looks for niche in flying to smaller airports

Having recently upgraded itself from a charter provider to an airline with scheduled flights, SGA Airlines is looking at flying to all of Thailand's small airports not served by larger airlines. The carrier is establishing an operating alliance with the no-frills airline Nok Air to offer an integrated network that allows both airlines to feed passengers to each other. It means that SGA will offer flights from larger airports served by Nok Air to small and remote airfields in locations not well served by roads. SGA on Feb 1 launched its second and third routes, Chiang Mai-Phrae and Chiang Mai-Pai, in addition to Bangkok-Hua Hin, which the airline has been offering for two years. It offers one flight a day on the two new routes, adding to the three daily flights on the Hua Hin sector. SGA plans to launch its fourth route, Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai, on April 1, and will explore other opportunities in the northern region.

Continued here with fare information:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/10Feb2007_biz98.php

Domestic flights on THAI airways, economy class, always seemed better than the no-frills flights on Nok Air. The national flag carrier flights give you an assigned seat, a courtesy soft drink or snack, and some attention. Nok, nothing. (Still, Nok is luxurious compared to the cattle-cars operated by Ryan Air).

I guess as long as they still call it Nok, rather than THAI CHEAP, it won't tarnish the image.

I always paid the 535THB extra for the Biz on Nok Air as it was still cheaper than Thai.

I am Thai Gold Card but now mostly fly SIA but keep the Thai card as Gold is easier to retain than get on SIA though.

I always paid the 535THB extra for the Biz on Nok Air as it was still cheaper than Thai.

I am Thai Gold Card but now mostly fly SIA but keep the Thai card as Gold is easier to retain than get on SIA though.

who cares really. Thai airways and the new airport will be fine with or without the opinions of the people. Its a worry how Thailand is shaping up from a growth and investment perspective. The old money and rich families will continue to prosper but this will be short term if things are to remain the same. Im now shifting all business to China as it seems easier to operate from here. At least the headlines dont talk about the new airport all the time....what is going on really?

Zhudi

I agree its about the long term from a economic growth and investment perspective.

An astute political commentator I happened to be talking to yesterday (A Singapore Taxi Driver) was discussing this and alluded to Thailand falling behind relatively - not absolutely.

It used to be co0mpared with Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan when talking about the economy and growth - now people say things like "But look as Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia - Thailand is far better than them" - granted but look at you are comparing yourselves with

He talked about the biotechnology companies investing massively in Singapore, India and China

He also predicted Vietnam would open up and within 5 years would overtake Thailand - I do not know about the time scale but can not argue with his thesis about the economy.

As you said though the old "Elite" wil always be fine and have money - I love the country and just wish it could get ts act together

This government is without any pride. The reason why they squander the name of the New Airport is because they could not find anything to justify their coup. If an major airport needs just 40 million dollar to get repaired it is truly a joke. It is less than 1% of the total costs of the airport. The real reason of reopening Don Muang now is ofcourse that the airforce is missing income from their groundservices and Kerosin sales as well the parking fees, Having lost the presidency of the AOT (do not worry the military are pretty good in installing incompetent friends in any state and even public company with state shareholders) are behind this move. Do not get fooled. What will happen if you fly in from izan or the North and need to go international? Just to Don Muang, and a Taxi to the New Airport? What to think about group tours, just maintaining 2 offices. Thailand loves to compare itself with countrie slike France who use also two international airports. The truth is that there is no way to compare it....

Thailand has much to do in the way of transparency of government - just visit Transparency International's website.

They should really take a leaf out of fellow ASEAN member Vietnam's books (yes, really!) and ensure that all security forces are paid properly and that all links with commercial businesses or government positions are severed permanently, as long as they are 'in service'.

I can't see that ever happening in LOS, sadly.

If it ever did happen, then perhaps Thailand will be able to restore some pride in itself, from an international viewpoint.

It cannot be said that there is 'no conflict of interest' where a policeman drives taxis in their off-duty time, for example.